What's new

Questions about new RT-AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

octopus

Part of the Furniture
Hello

I will upgrade my routers but have some questions for you running RT-AX58U with merlin software.

• Has anyone tried USB3 and supported if there is still some interference on the 2.4Ghz radio?
  • VPN client, anyone running AES-256-GCM, AES-256-GBC and noted what "real" speed can be achieved?
  • Is there anything you don't think works with the RT-AX58U router?

Thank you !
Octopus

Last edited:
As this router is released after the RT-AX88U and I don't have an issue with USB 3.0 (for amtm use) I would guess it also behaves well.

VPN speeds are not hardware accelerated (no AES-NI instructions on the CPU). RMerlin hinted around 80Mbps for this model, if I remember correctly.

All reports I've read (I read all posts on these forums) indicate that those who are satisfied with the RT-AX58U + RMerlin firmware find no issues (except as noted for the VPN speeds).

HTH. :)

Thanks for your summary of snbforum but I was looking for experience of data from RT-AX58U users.
Looking forward to anyone with the router can give any views.

Octopus

I am currently using it with alpha2 firmware. I get about 45mbit/s download with Openvpn and AES-256CBC.
I have a USB3 SSD installed. The 2.4 GHz band is ok, not outside of my expectations but I hardly use it except for IoT stuff. I use most of the common scripts and DoT.
I really like it a lot!

HTH

Last edited:
I am currently using it with alpha2 firmware. I get about 45mbit/s download with Openvpn and AES-256CBC.
I have a USB3 SSD installed. The 2.4 GHz band is ok, not outside of my expectations but I hardly use it except for IoT stuff. I use most of the common scripts and DoT.
I really like it a lot!

HTH
I've just tested my USB3 port: see here

What usb3 memory do you use when testning?
I use a cheap Chinese USB3.1 to M.2 SATA housing with a WD Green 240GB SSD.
Most USB3 memory sticks are slower than that so this should give an impression of the true maximum speed of the USB3-port of the RT-AX58U