What's new

Quiet release of EA-AC87?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwampKracker

It's been available for a while now AFAIK, tho the two persons I know with one got theirs from Asus.

Hi
The first release of the firmware is too buggy: WPS not work properly and DFS channels is not enabled.I have 1170 Mb conect

I've been waiting for this for two months. Anyone know when it will be for sale in the United States?

I've been waiting for this for two months. Anyone know when it will be for sale in the United States?
I've given up waiting for the EA-AC87. Even when it does come out I'll wait. At this point, one is better off trolling the online retailers for "open box" items and those listed as "scratch and dent" and pickup another AC87x for $200 or less. If you are going to shell out $200 for this stupid contraption then one may as well shop smarter.

so this is an extender? does it have the same downside of other repeaters wherein the bandwidth/speed is cut in half on both the router and extender?

so this is an extender? does it have the same downside of other repeaters wherein the bandwidth/speed is cut in half on both the router and extender?

It's not a range extender (ie. repeater), looks like it can be setup as a media bridge or as an access point.

The potential 1734 Mbps sounds like it would be good with an RT-AC87U.

If you have more than one device connected to it then you probably won't be able to set QoS priorities on the individual devices, assuming it's a Quantenna radio and transparent bridging still hasn't been implemented, same as the 87U in media bridge mode when using its 5GHz wireless.

It's not a range extender (ie. repeater), looks like it can be setup as a media bridge or as an access point.

The potential 1734 Mbps sounds like it would be good with an RT-AC87U.

If you have more than one device connected to it then you probably won't be able to set QoS priorities on the individual devices, assuming it's a Quantenna radio and transparent bridging still hasn't been implemented, same as the 87U in media bridge mode when using its 5GHz wireless.

I'm new to this. Perhaps you or another can enlighten me. I believe that with repeaters, essentially half the throughput gets lost to extend the range.

With the media bridge/access point concept, can the ea87 connect wirelessly to the router and then serve as an extension of the router using the same SSID so that clients roam seamlessly between the ea87 and ac87u and enjoy all the bandwidth?

I've given up waiting for the EA-AC87. Even when it does come out I'll wait. At this point, one is better off trolling the online retailers for "open box" items and those listed as "scratch and dent" and pickup another AC87x for $200 or less. If you are going to shell out $200 for this stupid contraption then one may as well shop smarter.

I tried the open box thing at Best Buy but they told me they don't do routers open box. I told them I could get an open box from Amazon for $206 and the matched that for a new in box.

Thank you poor_poor.
Maybe you can help me. I use the EA-AC87 in media bridge modus.
How can I enter the menu for the wireless settings?
Sometimes I can shortly see the menu, when I often klick the button of the "Parent AP Status"

Hello poor_poor,
I can login, but in the main menu is no button for the wireless settings.
Screen_shot_main_menu.jpg

I can login, but in the main menu is no button for the wireless settings.
nor there shouldnt be when use in media bridge mode as the wifi is being used by the bridge , you can only rescan and reconnect to the same primary wifi oranother wifi

How can I enter the menu for the wireless settings?
the question is why would you want to ? the wifi in bridge mode is acting like an ethernet connection and giving ethernet access to connected clients

are you sure you want to use media bridge mode ?

Hello,
I changed the firmware to 3.0.0.4.374_2851.
But it’s the same. I can only use fixed channels with my RT-AC87U (380.57). Control Channel and Auto select channel including DFS channels is not working.
That is why I asked for the wireless settings (maybe selectable).

Status
Not open for further replies.