What's new

R7800 No Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slowikowski

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

I am trying my luck here, I know that this is a fairly active community. I went to sleep a few days ago with the internet out because it was storming fairly hard, and I woke up and found that my WiFi has cut itself off.

The radio signal is on, claiming that the signals are able to be put out. But there is no 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz being output. This randomly happened 2 nights ago. I have factory reset the router. So 1. Holding down the reset button for 30 seconds. I have 2. Held the Power button for 30 seconds(this was suggested when I called netgear :) ) 3. I have reset it within the GUI.

After calling netgear, The person I spoke with said that I would need to pay $50 for a 3 month subscription to their service so that they can fix it. The gentlemen claimed that it was an easy fix and that he needed to update something, then went on and backtracked and claimed he needed to diagnose something, then apply it to all of the devices, and that this was somehow my ISP's fault?

I have tried many things, one of which mentioned above. I have tried to set the firmware back to version 1.0.2.62 to see if the light would appear. No luck. I have tried to change the firmware to Voxel's R7800-V1.0.2.81.1SF, but again no avail with outputting a wifi signal. The rightmost buttons are on. They are white, which from my understanding meaning that the radio signals are available to be turned on.

I have attatched images that prove what I think that the WiFi should be turned on, but the router is recognizing it is off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• no internet here.png
    no internet here.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 234
  • wifienabled.png
    wifienabled.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 195
Hello!

I am trying my luck here, I know that this is a fairly active community. I went to sleep a few days ago with the internet out because it was storming fairly hard, and I woke up and found that my WiFi has cut itself off.

The radio signal is on, claiming that the signals are able to be put out. But there is no 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz being output. This randomly happened 2 nights ago. I have factory reset the router. So 1. Holding down the reset button for 30 seconds. I have 2. Held the Power button for 30 seconds(this was suggested when I called netgear :) ) 3. I have reset it within the GUI.

After calling netgear, The person I spoke with said that I would need to pay $50 for a 3 month subscription to their service so that they can fix it. The gentlemen claimed that it was an easy fix and that he needed to update something, then went on and backtracked and claimed he needed to diagnose something, then apply it to all of the devices, and that this was somehow my ISP's fault?

I have tried many things, one of which mentioned above. I have tried to set the firmware back to version 1.0.2.62 to see if the light would appear. No luck. I have tried to change the firmware to Voxel's R7800-V1.0.2.81.1SF, but again no avail with outputting a wifi signal. The rightmost buttons are on. They are white, which from my understanding meaning that the radio signals are available to be turned on.

I have attatched images that prove what I think that the WiFi should be turned on, but the router is recognizing it is off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked on the Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings page?

Screenshot 2020-12-26 174100.jpg

First try this:

Q: My WiFi can not be switched on. It's on in ADVANCED: Advanced Setup: Wireless Settings,
but the BASIC page and the Kamoj add-on Router Information shows it as off.
Also there really is no WiFi available to connect. What can I do? (@Giudi001)
A: This is a Netgear bug that can also happen when you update the Firmware or at other times...
Run these commands, one by one, from a router shell/prompt:
wlan up
wlan down
wlan toggle
wlan up

If still not working, you can try this:

Q: I have tried different Firmware (Netgear / Voxel / DD-WRT / LEDE / OpenWRT) and now
I can't switch on the WiFi! What can I do?
A: This is a Netgear bug that can happen randomly to anyone when updating any firmware.
Erase all configuration data:
R7800: Run these commands from a router shell/prompt:
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

R8900/R9000: Run these commands from a router shell/prompt:
nvram default
nvram commit
ngmtd="$(awk -F: '/"netgear"$/ {print $1}' /proc/mtd | grep mtd)"
[ -n "$ngmtd" ] && flash_erase /dev/"$ngmtd" 0 0
reboot

Last edited:
Q: I have tried different Firmware (Netgear / Voxel / DD-WRT / LEDE / OpenWRT) and now
I can't switch on the WiFi! What can I do?
A: This is a Netgear bug that can happen randomly to anyone when updating any firmware.
Erase all configuration data:
R7800: Run these commands from a router shell/prompt:
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

R8900/R9000: Run these commands from a router shell/prompt:
nvram default
nvram commit
ngmtd="$(awk -F: '/"netgear"$/ {print $1}' /proc/mtd | grep mtd)"
[ -n "$ngmtd" ] && flash_erase /dev/"$ngmtd" 0 0
reboot

Q: My WiFi can not be switched on. It's on in ADVANCED: Advanced Setup: Wireless Settings,
but the BASIC page and the Kamoj add-on Router Information shows it as off.
Also there really is no WiFi available to connect. What can I do? (@Giudi001)
A: This is a Netgear bug that can also happen when you update the Firmware or at other times...
Run these commands, one by one, from a router shell/prompt:
wlan up
wlan down
wlan toggle
wlan up

This may be a dumb question, and I apologize. I am trying to learn as I go.
How would I go about accessing the router shell/prompt?

Hey Kamoj,

It seems silly, but whatever reason I am having issues installing the addon. I am using windows 10, following along, but it says that there are collected errors.
Have you experienced this before?
View attachment 28829
Hello,

Windows 10 has nothing to do with it.

Once you're logged on the 7800, type :

cd /
cd opt
mkdir scripts
cd scripts
wget --no-check-certificate https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/kamoj-addon_191214-083737-1_ipq806x.ipk
/bin/opkg install --force-overwrite kamoj-addon_191214-083737-1_ipq806x.ipk
reboot

And then you'll see the Kamoj addons when the router is back online.

Hey LeKeiser,

I seem to be missing a piece of the puzzle because even when running these commands, I only get to about the second one before I have an error thrown up saying that this is a read only system. I figured that this is a Linux based system, and frankly I am not too familiar with it.

I have attached screenshots below to hopefully allow for more troubleshooting.

Thank you all for your massive amounts of help.
1609087222158.png

1609087242402.png
1609087259405.png
1609087280673.png

You're not in the directory /opt obviously. You're at the root of the FS so you cannot download a file there.

Please type (in bold)

root@R7800:$ cd /
root@R7800:$ cd opt
root@R7800:$ pwd

and show us the result.

You shoud have

root@R7800:/$ cd opt
root@R7800:/opt$
root@R7800:/opt$ pwd
/opt
root@R7800:/opt$ ls
dirlist kamoj rcagent xagent
filelist leafp2p remote version

Then, from there :
root@R7800:/opt$ mkdir scripts
root@R7800:/opt$ cd scripts
root@R7800:/opt/scripts$ wget --no-check-certificate https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/kamoj-addon_191214-083737-1_ipq806x.ipk
root@R7800:/opt/scripts$ /bin/opkg install --force-overwrite kamoj-addon_191214-083737-1_ipq806x.ipk
root@R7800:/opt/scripts$ reboot

The scripts directory is the place I like to store the addon. Just cleaner :)

You're not in the directory /opt obviously. You're at the root of the FS so you cannot download a file there.

Please type (in bold)

root@R7800:$ cd opt
root@R7800:$ pwd

and show us the result.

You shoud have

root@R7800:/$ cd opt
root@R7800:/opt$
root@R7800:/opt$ pwd
/opt
root@R7800:/opt$ ls
dirlist kamoj rcagent xagent
filelist leafp2p remote version

Then, from there :
root@R7800:/opt$ mkdir scripts
root@R7800:/opt$ cd scripts
root@R7800:/opt/scripts$ wget --no-check-certificate https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/kamoj-addon_191214-083737-1_ipq806x.ipk
root@R7800:/opt/scripts$ /bin/opkg install --force-overwrite kamoj-addon_191214-083737-1_ipq806x.ipk
root@R7800:/opt/scripts$ reboot

The scripts directory is the place I like to store the addon. Just cleaner :)

Heres what I get just doing those 3 commands.
1609088904587.png

- You don't need to install the add-on to give the "wifi on" commands.
- You can download to the / root!
- If you want install the addon do:
Code:
curl -k -R -O https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/kamoj-addon_191214-083737-1_ipq806x.ipk
reboot
- if you want to on WiFi:

Code:
wlan up
wlan down
wlan toggle
#And finally if Wifi still not working:
wlan up

- You don't need to install the add-on to give the "wifi on" commands.
- You can download to the / root!
- If you want install the addon do:
Code:
curl -k -R -O https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/kamoj-addon_191214-083737-1_ipq806x.ipk
reboot
- if you want to on WiFi:

Code:
wlan up
wlan down
wlan toggle
#And finally if Wifi still not working:
wlan up

So I get this issue below. It seems no matter which angle I attack from. I cannot Do a thing because Im in read only mode, and I cannot access write mode.
1609092146271.png

To go to opt, it is
Code:
cd /opt

Also, to first check if opt exists, what is the result of this:
Code:
cd /
ls -l

You have got a corrupt router/file system then.
You can try to recover with these commands (erasing all your data):
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot
If this is not working you need to install a new firmware.
I suggest you then first install a Netgear firmware,
and then the latest Voxel firmware.
Install is done from router web-page.

As last resort you can perform a "tftp-installation".
PS
Sorry, if I missed something, but why do "we" need to go to "opt" at all?

So I get this issue below. It seems no matter which angle I attack from. I cannot Do a thing because Im in read only mode, and I cannot access write mode.

You have got a corrupt router/file system then.
You can try to recover with these commands (erasing all your data):
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot
If this is not working you need to install a new firmware.
I suggest you then first install a Netgear firmware,
and then the latest Voxel firmware.
Install is done from router web-page.

As last resort you can perform a "tftp-installation".
PS
Sorry, if I missed something, but why do "we" need to go to "opt" at all?

Kamoj. You are a magician. My lights are on!
I cannot thank you enough for your help.

So from what you are saying, I had a corrupt router/file system, which caused my router to go to waste?

Also do I need to do anything after running that code? Or is there anything else that I need to follow up with?

I figured after reading through the forums, dont allow netgear to update itself or it will screw with the router more, and then every so often keep up to date with the firnware itself.

You can thank me enough if you want!
Just try the "Like" button beneath the message you like"

Yes, you had a corrupt filesystem.
But now you seem to be fine!
I suggest you try to install the kamoj add-on as well. :cool:
It gives you some information and insights about the router.
(There will be a more modern add-on version in the near future as well, so keep your eyes here in the forum!

Just stay with Voxel firmware, never Netgear firmware!
Voxel firmware will not auto-update.

Kamoj. You are a magician. My lights are on!
I cannot thank you enough for your help.

So from what you are saying, I had a corrupt router/file system, which caused my router to go to waste?

Also do I need to do anything after running that code? Or is there anything else that I need to follow up with?

I figured after reading through the forums, dont allow netgear to update itself or it will screw with the router more, and then every so often keep up to date with the firnware itself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!