What's new

Random Sound Over Network - What is it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I listened to the sound recording again. So familiar.... I can't believe I've been unable to identify it (or anybody else for that matter).

By the way, I've heard no sounds for about 10 hours. The silence is lovely.

One of the computers tested is running Windows 10 64, the others Win 7 64

Ok - so don't look at the devices - look at what is common...

Modem logs on the broadband side - router logs - see what is happening there...

quick tip - might consider disabling IPv6 temporarily on the router if has been enabled - just to check...

Stop and consider what applications and services - IM, cloud services (onedrive, dropbox, etc)... things that you log in across all devices...

This is not a common problem - so be methodical in your approach - like I mentioned earlier, it's not HW, but perhaps it's something with your SW.

I can safely suggest that it's not interference...

Ok - so don't look at the devices - look at what is common...

Modem logs on the broadband side - router logs - see what is happening there...

quick tip - might consider disabling IPv6 temporarily on the router if has been enabled - just to check...

Stop and consider what applications and services - IM, cloud services (onedrive, dropbox, etc)... things that you log in across all devices...

This is not a common problem - so be methodical in your approach - like I mentioned earlier, it's not HW, but perhaps it's something with your SW.

I can safely suggest that it's not interference...

OK, as a starter, I've turned off automatic syncing on dropbox and evernote, deleted onedrive.

if/when the sound returns, I will try disabling IPv6... then go from there.

Thanks so much to all of you - I've received so much more constructive help here than on most of the other forums I've tried. Will keep you informed.

Nothing yesterday or this morning... suddenly 5-6x in 15 minutes. I can't seem to find any other software that the 3 computers share in common.

I listened to the sound recording again. So familiar.... I can't believe I've been unable to identify it (or anybody else for that matter).

By the way, I've heard no sounds for about 10 hours. The silence is lovely.

Kind of reminds me of Skype when contact logs in or logs out... weird...

Yeah, a little like that... sort of like the disconnect sound? Unfortunately, I don't have skype on any of the computers.

Food for thought - set your DHCP lease time really short, like 1 minute on the router... see if that makes a difference.

Out of the box thinking here, but where things are at - inside the box hasn't been productive.

The sound had diminished greatly (only a couple times a day) until this morning... then 5 or 6 times in a few minutes. I noticed several of these in my router log:

2017-07-26 08:33:44.00 [Dropped FORWARD packet: ]TCP Packet - Source:2604:8c00:0109:000c:021a:62ff:fe03:c28f,53045 Destination:2601:01c0:6d02:2550:e11d:ef73:a943:f0b2,58777
2017-07-26 08:33:45.00 [Dropped FORWARD packet: ]TCP Packet - Source:2604:8c00:0109:000c:021a:62ff:fe03:c28f,53045 Destination:2601:01c0:6d02:2550:e11d:ef73:a943:f0b2,58777
2017-07-26 08:33:47.00 [Dropped FORWARD packet: ]TCP Packet - Source:2604:8c00:0109:000c:021a:62ff:fe03:c28f,53045 Destination:2601:01c0:6d02:2550:e11d:ef73:a943:f0b2,58777

Could that be any sort of clue?

Do you have any IoT devices recently installed ?
What new devices in your house when this started ?
powerline/homeplug devices ?
(there was another thread here linking to this issue)

Do you have any IoT devices recently installed ?
What new devices in your house when this started ?
powerline/homeplug devices ?
(there was another thread here linking to this issue)

We have none in our house (no Amazon Echo, etc) , but I've noticed something strange. Our neighbors have been moving. When they are not around (and this is not a scientific test), the sounds seem to diminish. For example, last weekend their house was being shown by a realtor and I heard little (if no) sounds. Is it possible that such devices from their house (if they have them) could be infecting my network? Could they touch my network from another house? It seems unlikely, but... ????

And if that is what's happening, is there any way to block it?

do you have any homeplug or powerline extenders in the house ? Any wireless extenders over power ?

Just a Unify Ubiquity, but I've had it unplugged for weeks (thinking that might be the cause). Before that, I used a TP-Link - but that's long gone.

It's very similar to the old Windows XP Ding sound (not the new one):

Tried with sound card disabled? Is the sound randomly occurring or is there a pattern? Do you live near an
airport(think radar). Know how to choke unwanted RF signal using ferrite cores? How about shielding?

Tried with sound card disabled? Is the sound randomly occurring or is there a pattern? Do you live near an
airport(think radar). Know how to choke unwanted RF signal using ferrite cores? How about shielding?

It's randomly occurring - as I said, the only possible pattern seems to be that it happens much more frequently when my neighbors are home. Almost exclusively in the daytime.

No airport nearby.

I've applied ferrite cores on several cords (including the speaker wires). Do you have any suggestions on what else I might try in that area.

The sound has occurred on three separate machines, all with different sound cards. Always the same specific sound.

Shielding? You mean as in shielded cables? I haven't tried that. What would you suggest?

Last edited: