What's new

Random Sound Over Network - What is it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you try ferrite core, often you need more than one. If it is RF interference, poor connection(s)
can cause trouble. They act like diode some times. I've been HAM for ~60 years. Dealt with many
different interference problems over time. Maybe one of your neighbor is causing the issues.
Small AM pocket radio is good tool for tracking down the culprit.

Last edited:
If you try ferrite core, often you need more than one. If it is RF interference, poor connection(s)
can cause trouble. They act like diode some times. I've been HAM for ~60 years. Dealt with many
different interference problems over time. Maybe one of your neighbor is causing the issues.
Small AM pocket radio is good tool for tracking down the culprit.

Tony,
Have you played the sound file? Do you think interference could cause that same sound over and over?
Also, how would an AM radio help track down the source?
Thanks.

EDIT: Also, where would the best places be to put the ferrite cores?

I was talking to a neighbor yesterday who said that around the same time my sound problems started he began experiencing random (and very brief) disconnects from the internet. He doesn't have speakers attached to his computer so he can't comment on any sound issues. We're thinking that perhaps the common issue does have something to do with a device (?) the neighbor who lives between us may have added.

I've mentioned before that this neighbor is in the process of moving - and it seems whenever he is not around my sound problems diminish greatly (if not completely disappear). I realize I may be sounding like some conspiracy nut, but... Is that at all possible - and, if so, is there anything we can do about it?

Just offer to help him move....
Sounds like he may have an RF signal transmitter that interferes with wireless. Maybe one of those "high power" antennas to overwhelm interference in the 2.4 Ghz bands ? Or maybe a microwave that is faulty.

If he has wireless, ask him if he has been having issues with signal drop/disconnects.

Probably not related, but a little anecdote about mysterious sounds that may help someone else reading this thread. I had a sound that was occurring each time I rebooted my router. Sounded like it was coming from my PC. After going crazy for about a week, it turned out a newly added basic Gb switch was beeping every time the ethernet connection dropped and came back up (Of course, nothing about that in the doc).