What's new

RAX120 New Hardware Revision.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

avtella

Very Senior Member
FCC shows a permissive change submission for the RAX120's FCC ID, seems the change mainly includes a switch to the IPQ8074v2 vs the v1 in the current one. So basically addition of uplink side MU/OFDMA is my guess. Does not seem to have 6E support.

FCC Link:

Last edited:
Only query is will voxel can write firmware for this model being qualcom. Is this a good router like R7800

Is this a viable router or 6E is way to go it has less spec than this missing multi gig 5 or 10.

I think netgear routers are spec'ed very less in terms of port.

AD - missing - May not be a big deal but if needed its still cut the cord within the room and can get more than 1gig transfer
AX- only single 5ghz band ( Only Top end had dual band)
HT160- AX or AC little confusing

Most previous gen routers on x series had 6 ports with 2 port lag but recent ax are only 4 port. 1 multi gig is not suffice there should be 6-8 ports based on model 2-4 port lag should be available.

usb - No 3.2 gen 1/2 port type c . SSD can do fast transfer and WIFI 6 devices can take advantage and no HDD bottleneck. Still usb adaptor works but speed is limited.

hiddent attena- It looks clean but are these capable of high power rather ordinary. I did like the active antenna tech but it never evolved. Netgear should have extended it feature set.

Do we have any more info on v2 . Did netgear only selling v2

Do we have any more info on v2 . Did netgear only selling v2
Seems like mostly V1 units still, there is a massive semiconductor shortage, but you may have to buy one and see as Netgear may just slip it in without any notice so you get a version 2 by luck almost. The V1 has great range and is a very good router with the worst QoS I've ever used, I would look later in the year at 6E routers though as that makes more sense as 6E devices start coming out. Since the v1 and v2 both use the same firmware its hard to work out what's really going on with that router.

Got it thanks. I was pushing for 6E so far and will have to push further . Just wanted to get the all rounder with almost nil issue setup and forget kind of. Not having much wifi-6 max 3 devices now may extend desktop to 6E if planned for 6E. I think 6E would take end of 2021 or early 2022 to get into shape v1/v2 or wave 1/wave 2 similar kind of .

I reached cc they said v2 is currently being sold.

I actually have 2 AP and r7800 . Not sure if rax120 v2 would be replacement for all 3 . I doubt it based on the feedback on stability issues.

Got it thanks. I was pushing for 6E so far and will have to push further . Just wanted to get the all rounder with almost nil issue setup and forget kind of. Not having much wifi-6 max 3 devices now may extend desktop to 6E if planned for 6E. I think 6E would take end of 2021 or early 2022 to get into shape v1/v2 or wave 1/wave 2 similar kind of .

I reached cc they said v2 is currently being sold.

I actually have 2 AP and r7800 . Not sure if rax120 v2 would be replacement for all 3 . I doubt it based on the feedback on stability issues.
I have had no stability issues with my v1 at all. Factory reset after each update and manually set up and it runs night and day and does not miss a beat, mines been up since the last update which over a month and I'm not seeing problems. Remember many people complain and cant be bothered with resets and not using backups but starting fresh each time, if you do that its a solid router and has very fast data transfer rates (measured using wifi sweetspots in the past) and you will get about 940Mbps from the Ethernet ports too if you had a gig line. Its a powerful router. I'm not sure how many features though like TwT and BSS will come to it. I still think 6E is probably the way forward but the router feels a lot like the R7800 with great 5Ghz coverage, and those finned antenna really do deliver good coverage in my experience. If it had a decent QoS I would recommend it more though, but its been a very solid device.

Thanks I was even wondering how Qualcomm router was worse but it netgear firmware possible not updating all the libraries with outdated and performance optimisation.

I still have no clue if I can replace two ap with this and possibly to take of 7800 as well . If you are experiencing good 5ghz range then my 1200 sq ft should be able to cover. Currently 7800 signal completely cut off at kitchen only 2.4 viable and speed is less . I don’t have 1gig line just 300 mbps but I hit peak 400 and avg 370 .
6E currently released is tri band so that is top of the line and make sense as just 6 clients on phones and laptop and tablets . 6E would take another year to take complete shift but if 6E is needed won’t netgear release a extender like EAX80 sat EAXE80/120

it only balances if I can remove all devices with this and it gives good coverage with stable connection. Its everyone wish just to deal with one device rather multiple devices.
I may not get big improvement in speed but good to have as my current router is 4 years old though still working fine no problem at all . Only at time some devices are stuck at streaming or slight delay as those are connected to AP and wireless bridge probably.

Last edited:
One last query the review of this specified that netgear uses 2 of 4x4 combined to operate as 8x8 . Would it has anything to do with performance.

Would low frequency and high frequency can be operated at the same time on 5ghz. 80 or 160 at same time. if thing set to auto would all be forced to use low frequency or high

If V2 has both of these then its worth to get v2.

OFDMA (UL)
One channel can transmit data of several devices* at the same time, thus improving efficiency and reducing latency.
TWT
Target Wait Time allows transmissions to be scheduled, allowing devices* to sleep for longer periods, delivering up to 7x better battery life.

If V2 has both of these then its worth to get v2.

OFDMA (UL)
One channel can transmit data of several devices* at the same time, thus improving efficiency and reducing latency.
TWT
Target Wait Time allows transmissions to be scheduled, allowing devices* to sleep for longer periods, delivering up to 7x better battery life.
It depends if Netgear impliments them. There are no guarantees with router manufacturers. Also will you even see the benefits of OFDMA (UL) I think not to be honest if you read the report on here on OFDMA. Only you can make a decision on what's right for you.

I agree how far it’s implemented and effective is measured