What's new

RT-AX88U FCC Docs all posted.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

what are your thoughts on the quad core aspect? I remember reading someplace you tweaked the vpn to use like 2nd core 1st then 1st 2nd etc.. is there any real benefit to 4 cores other than vpn? unless im mistaken the os was single threaded mostly?

It might get useful in a situation where you use many features at once (i.e. a VPN, USB sharing, the DPI engine, etc...)

How well tuned for quad cores the firmware is however, I don't know. So far it seems to be mostly limited to two cores max.

Where is 802.11ad?

802.11ad is useless for 90% of people. It's just a souped up Bluetooth basically, with line-of-sight range.

802.11ad is useless for 90% of people. It's just a souped up Bluetooth basically, with line-of-sight range.
its prolly been 10yrs now but I recall IBM working on a similar tech targeting for high speed audio/video transfers I think for like tv's dvd players etc.. high speed short range would actually be perfect for that stuff.. no more wires.

its prolly been 10yrs now but I recall IBM working on a similar tech targeting for high speed audio/video transfers I think for like tv's dvd players etc.. high speed short range would actually be perfect for that stuff.. no more wires.

It still remain problematic since it's line-of-sight. A single shelf between your TV and your DVD player would interfere with 802.11ad.

The only reasonable use I can see for these would be a laptop dock, or maybe a replacement for Bluetooth for a computer. But in either cases, a router would be useless, since the router wouldn't sit right next to your computer to achieve the connection.

I can't think of a single usage scenario for a router supporting 802.11ad.

Not entirely fair: They connected the RT-AX88U to another RT-AX88U (4x4 802.11ax) while they connected the other routers to a MacBook Pro (3x3 802.11ac).

download.png

upload.png

I have reached higher results with my RT-AC68U + PCE-AC68 combo, around 850 Mb/s both up and down. I suspect testing was not under optimal settings.

Can't wait to see the first tests with the upcoming PCE-AX88 and Intel Wireless-AX 22260 (or 22560).

Last edited:
Not entirely fair: They connected the RT-AX88U to another RT-AX88U (4x4 802.11ax) while they connected the other routers to a MacBook Pro (3x3 802.11ac).

Their methodology leaves to be desired indeed. In addition to the fact that to really shine, 802.11ax requires multiple clients.

Everyone should rush out and get one right away.
Then all come back here and complain about Asus using you as testers to iron out bugs in the software. Lol

There's also an unboxing video from Asus including a little benchmark:
Looks impressive, but, let's wait for the independent benchmarks as well :)

I'm mainly looking at this router because my RT-AC87U can't keep up with PPPoE fibre and IP-TV. Somehow it causes too much CPU load, unlike when my old provider just gave me DHCP over fibre.

ax88u use kernel 4.1.51.
Is this good or bad for merlin firmware ?

Kernel version is irrelevant to me. RT-AC86U was on 4.1.21 for reference.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!