What's new

RBK50v2 Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

supajason

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone

I have the RBK50 v2 that doesn't have a USB port :-(
I really want to install Entware so I can have access to some stats for Home Assistant cards. See https://github.com/agneevX/my-ha-setup#netgear-orbi-integration

It only requires 2 packages (netdata & vnstat) I have 2 questions could I run a script each boot to install Entware and the packages without a reboot or can I install entware on the flash?

I made a hole in the back of the RBS50v2 to check if the USB port has power but I couldn't get 5v :-(

Thanks for any help

I am out of home, so very briefly. From my phone…
Please read QuickStart.txt. Everything is there. There is description of /mnt/ntgr/rc.user. There is hint how to map the network drive to your Orbi (cifs mount). I.e. if you have samba server in your LAN for instance, you can use it and install Entware on this drive.

Voxel.

Hi Voxel and thank you for your reply.

I spent most of yesterday trying to build my own firmware thinking I could add in the packages but this was painful and got me nowhere :(

When I say you reply I was very happy! I'm ashamed to say I didn't read all of the QuickStart and when I saw you needed a USB I didn't really read on...(I wish I had as it would have saved me a day)

I've run into an issue.. I've install vnstat but it won't run I keep getting "not found"

I've mounted my share in /mnt/share the downloaded and extracted the initial entware file (this does throw errors for the symlinks) then I've linked to each of the files in entware to opt/

Code:
root@RBR50:/opt# opkg update
Downloading http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/Entware-3x-Voxel/Packages.g
Updated list of available packages in /opt/var/opkg-lists/entware
root@RBR50:/opt# opkg install vnstat
Installing vnstat (1.18-2) to root...
Downloading http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/Entware-3x-Voxel/vnstat_1.1
Configuring vnstat.
root@RBR50:/opt# vnstat
-ash: vnstat: not found

Any help is appreciated

Quick update - are typing "this does throw errors for the symlinks" I thought this would be a good place to start and hey presto copying the files that couldn't be linked worked :) :)
Code:
root@RBR50:/tmp/mnt/share/entware/lib# ls
ld-2.27.so             libdl.so.2             libnss_dns.so.2        libresolv-2.27.so
ld-linux-armhf.so.3    libe.so.6              libnss_files-2.27.so   librt-2.27.so
ld-linux.so.3          liberyptso.1           libpcprofile.so        librtso.1
libanl-2.27.so         libgcc_s.so.1          libpcre.so             libssp.so.0
libanl.so.1            libm-2.27.so           libpcre.so.1           libssp.so.0.0.0
libc-2.27.so           libm.so.6              libpcre.so.1.2.12      libstdc++.so.6.0.28
libcidn-2.27.so        libmemusage.so         libpcreposix.so.0      libstdce++so.6
libcidn.so.1           libnsl-2.27.so         libpcreposix.so.0.0.7  libutil-2.27.so
libcrypt-2.27.so       libnsl.so.1            libpthread-2.27.so     libutil.so.1
libdl-2.27.so          libnss_dns-2.27.so     libpthread.so.0        opkg
root@RBR50:/tmp/mnt/share/entware/lib# cp  libc-2.27.so libc.so.6
root@RBR50:/tmp/mnt/share/entware/lib# cd ..
root@RBR50:/opt# cd bin
root@RBR50:/tmp/mnt/share/entware/bin# ./vnstat
No database found, nothing to do. Use --help for help.

A new database can be created with the following command:
    ./vnstat --create -i eth0

Replace 'eth0' with the interface that should be monitored.

The default interface can be changed by updating the "Interface" keyword
value in the configuration file "/opt/etc/vnstat.conf".

The following interfaces are currently available:
    br0 pas0 wifi0 sit0 ath02 ath0 wifi2 ath1 lo ath2 eth0 (1000 Mbit) ath01 eth1 (1000 Mbit)                                                                                              ath11 wifi1 bond0 brwan ifb0 teql0 ifb1

I've install netdata but I'm getting an error that I can't see to figure out:
Code:
netdata: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libz.so.1: internal error

Last edited:
What is filesystem of your samba server? Seems it really doesn’t support symlinks. I checked with shared ext4. It was ok as far as I remember.

ls -al /opt/lib

what is the result?

P.S. Maybe it has a sense to install Entware to /mnt/ntgr if it is big enough (different vs Orbi v1).

Voxel.

Last edited:
I think I'll revert back to V2.5.2.4 and do a factory reset then re-try as strangely I've had a couple of dips in power lately which has cause the router to reset :-(

Ok I went back to stock 2.5.24 and did a factory reset then upgraded to V9.2.5.2.15SF.

SSH'd in and created a test file in /mnt/ntgr/ and done a reboot but the file has disappeared.

Code:
root@RBR50:/# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
overlayfs:/tmp/overlay on / type overlayfs (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/tmp/overlay)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)
ubi0:vol_arlo on /tmp/dal type ubifs (rw,relatime)
ubi0:vol_devtable on /tmp/device_tables type ubifs (rw,relatime)
ubi0:vol_armor on /tmp/mnt/bitdefender type ubifs (rw,relatime)
ubi0:vol_circle on /tmp/mnt/circle type ubifs (rw,relatime)

It seems that for what ever reason ntgr isn't mounted as reusable storage as first suggested.
With this in mind rc.user will never be called as it's lost after every reboot.

Code:
root@RBR50:/# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                31.8M     31.8M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   242.1M      9.5M    232.6M   4% /tmp
overlayfs:/tmp/overlay
                        242.1M      9.5M    232.6M   4% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
ubi0:vol_arlo             2.9M     88.0K      2.6M   3% /tmp/dal
ubi0:vol_devtable         2.9M    540.0K      2.2M  19% /tmp/device_tables
ubi0:vol_armor           35.3M     16.2M     17.3M  48% /tmp/mnt/bitdefender
ubi0:vol_circle          26.0M     11.9M     12.7M  48% /tmp/mnt/circle

Are you able to either create a firmware that mounts ntgr as before or edit rc.local to run a script from /tmp/mnt/bitdefender as files are saved here.

thanks,

I've managed to build stock 2.5.2.4 & 2.7.3.22 but the file sizes are smaller compared to the ones download from Netgear. Before I flash these, is the smaller size okay?
I've having trouble building the Voxel version, Can I ask why you don't include the toolchain in the github?
Never mind hopefully I've fixed it as it's whizzing away now

Last edited:
Hi @Voxel sorry to ping you but I'm having trouble compiling. I've tried on different distros but getting no where fast :-(
Could you give me some details on your setup please?
I've tried Ubuntu 16, 18 & 20 on WSL and VM's of 16 & 18 all getting compile errors (all different) I've been using the toolchain folder from 2.7.3.22 are you using a different one?

any help would be great :)

Jason

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!