What's new

Re : An Appeal From Tim Higgins

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000, Both were added and white-listed to FF long ago, this evening tested on different sections on the site; the small notice was visible at first on all sections, then the notice vanished on all tabs.

Forgot to ad, the notice always appears when one isn't logged in. Upon logging in it usually vanishes on refresh, then comes, goes with no set routine or time limit. Cheer.

i've PMed thiggins, i'd really like to help him find a way to keep this site up while making it better. If he doesnt want to accept donations, at least accept discussions on how to make SNB pay for itself.

Thanks for the suggestions, SEM.

I have been an Amazon affiliate for years. The reason you don't see it much is that Adblockers block the affiliate ads. You'd see plenty of them if you turned off adblocking. There is also the "Support SNBForums" box in the right column on every page.

One of the main reasons both sites are in jeopardy is that advertisers are spending their money with FB, Google, Amazon and social platforms where they can basically pay bloggers to get rave reviews.
I have long relationships with all companies in this space and made them all aware of the situation. Only two responded to my pleas.

In the old days, sites commonly linked to other sites. We still do. But most sites are fighting for their lives, so don't send traffic anywhere else if they don't have to.

I'm looking into an ad free subscription/ premium option. But frankly, it takes time and $ to put one in place for what I'm sure will be maybe a few 100 bucks a year return. That ain't gonna keep the lights on.

Well, progress. OPERA latest, full reset and cache flush, the top ad, the side bar ad appear - not always, but usually. sometimes only one or the other will appear. no blocking enabled anywhere that i can find on my system.

Your Ads work perfectly on my system. I see top and side Ads on every web page. They are fast and pleasant. No Facebook or social media for me. I like forums.

Thanks for the suggestions, SEM.

I have been an Amazon affiliate for years. The reason you don't see it much is that Adblockers block the affiliate ads. You'd see plenty of them if you turned off adblocking. There is also the "Support SNBForums" box in the right column on every page.

One of the main reasons both sites are in jeopardy is that advertisers are spending their money with FB, Google, Amazon and social platforms where they can basically pay bloggers to get rave reviews.
I have long relationships with all companies in this space and made them all aware of the situation. Only two responded to my pleas.

In the old days, sites commonly linked to other sites. We still do. But most sites are fighting for their lives, so don't send traffic anywhere else if they don't have to.

I'm looking into an ad free subscription/ premium option. But frankly, it takes time and $ to put one in place for what I'm sure will be maybe a few 100 bucks a year return. That ain't gonna keep the lights on.

I myself block aws because i've had botnets from there before but im seeing more of your affiliate ads now which is a good sign. The NAS ads are very accurate.

worst case scenario i can always host your site as a temporary backup option for free but its not ideal in terms of location (global) and uptime as its where i also host my commercial game server, mainly in my own mini datacenters as i have 2 sites with very good internet but still need to fix up some electrical backup system. If you do need a backup host temporary let me know what you need installed and i'll prepare it.

For an ad based revenue to work, you need your site referenced from other sites, i.e. articles from this site mentioned in other forums, youtube videos, etc. Infact you should actually start doing youtube video reviews and link the article in the comments, you'd have ad revenue from youtube too. I hope you're not microphone shy.

I just looked at snbforums forums from my wife's PC Windows 10 Edge and I am getting the banner to remove Ad blocker. I have no Ad blocker running. You are also not showing the top Ads. They show as blank. So you are missing out on the top Ad.

I just looked at snbforums forums from my wife's PC Windows 10 Edge and I am getting the banner to remove Ad blocker. I have no Ad blocker running. You are also not showing the top Ads. They show as blank. So you are missing out on the top Ad.
Just did the same thing. Ads are running and no banner.

I was not logged in.

Attachments

• Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
    190.9 KB · Views: 454

It's unfortunate, and pay for play is becoming a bigger deal, even with the mainstream sites - sites like Tom's Hardware and Anandtech (both Purch properties), where ads are excessive, and the editorial quality has declined. At least Tech Report has maintained some level of independence - arsTechnica has done well there, but I'm sure it is a constant challenge with the corporate owners to maintain a free direction.

It's getting very tough for independent sites to sustain operations - Macintouch is going through a similar situation - while Macintouch is probably outside of the general interest here, he's developed a rich and deep community, just like SmallNetBuilder and SNBForums - and it's sad to see the current state of affairs...

I do see occasional references back to SNB and the Forums - mostly from some of the Podcasts I listen to on a regular basis, but even they're troubled by revenue concerns.

Hi Tim,

long time listener, first time caller so to speak. I never post here but do visit regularly. I have no issue whitelisting snb & snbforums but pagead2.googlesyndication.com, www.google-analytics.com etc is a no go, full stop. I hope you adopt a a reasonably priced premium or donation model.

I doubt that I am the only person to see the value in snbforums nor am I the only person to donate to dslr, eff, or wikipedia.

Weird thing with the Amazon affiliate script - see screenshot below (using safari 11.1)

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 2.37.41 PM.png

Weird thing with the Amazon affiliate script - see screenshot below (using safari 11.1)
Same with Chrome on Linux. Looks like it's being applied at the top and bottom of every page (frame?). It's way overboard.

I agree it looks odd. But it's a unique case due to the way the subforums are set up.

Also shows up at the top and bottom of every thread you open.

It's an odd i-frame thing with the CSS - did some looking into this.

I like the affiliate thing though - as commissions can help out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!