What's new

Re : An Appeal From Tim Higgins

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AndreiV

Very Senior Member
An Appeal From Tim Higgins
Hi there,
If you are a regular SNBForums user, you should not be blocking our ads. Blocking ads means you are getting something for nothing. This is not a formula that will allow us to continue to provide the value you get from SNBForums for much longer.

All our revenue sources depend on your not blocking ads. We try to keep them unobnoxious, relevant and to a minimum.

Ads are our air supply and make it possible to provide the great resource that SNBForums is. Please don't choke off our air. Please add SNBForums right now to your adblocker whitelist.

Thank you, Tim

Your over zealous notice is making SNB unusable . I whitelisted this site in my adblocker years ago and I see adverts , lots of them, every day , at each visit.

Yes, I use MVPS Host files which probably destroys tracking and Adsense and NO, I will not turn that off for you or anyone else.

As of today I can't access any forum section without being continually accosted by this notice. I guess you want to close your site down really fast .........

I confirm the @AndreiV 's findings. Following the Tim's kind request I've disabled my adblocker for this site, but the annoying message did not disappeared. I am using only uBlock Origin 1.15.18. I do not use any additional blockers.

Hello Mr. Higgins,

I have used your site for about 15 years, and have found your testing and information invaluable. My firewall router uses adblock in OpenWrt. Your ads have never been a nuisance. I will immediately whitelist you in Openwrt, and suggest on those forums that others also do so. :)

tim_higgins.png

Yea , and now despite the adverts we get a new notice blocking the forum .

"" We try to keep them unobnoxious, relevant and to a minimum.! "

Shame about the obnoxious notices then.​

AB-Solution has a policy you agree to. This policy explains that SNBForums adds will not be blocked. I use AB-Solution what are your instructions to stop this annoying popup?

Sorry for those of you having problems. And thanks to those who already had SNBForums whitelisted. There just aren't enough of you, however.

I've changed the form of the notice to be easier to deal with, but it will stay up until I gather more data about adblockers where whitelisting isn't working.

Please report the problems in this thread.

What worries me most is that there is a Twitter tracker on the side,
Tracker platform.twitter.com

Using AB-Solution, this is in the whitelist:
Code:
1: # Please support SmallNetBuilder.com by leaving these in the whitelist.
 2: # Run [el] to process changes into blocking_file.
 3: # Add whitelisted domains in the same format as below.
 4: # No wildcards (*tgdaily.net). This WILL NOT work.
 5: vma.tgdaily.net
 6: tgdaily.net
 7: vma.tgdaily.com
 8: tgdaily.com
 9: assets.omidoo.com
 10: z-na.amazon-adsystem.com
 11: servedby.flashtalking.com
 12: flashtalking.com
 13: ad2.netshelter.net
I only use this on my router, no adblockers on other clients. Maybe @thiggins can update what needs to be whitelist, since turning off adblocking means disabling AB-Solution for every site in the world. SNB Forums already blocks my using a VPN to access this site, I've given up one bit of security, I'm not ready to give up another, especially with the coin mining and other serious security issues.
https://arstechnica.com/information...technique-to-conceal-cpu-draining-mining-ads/

No problem with uBlock Origin here in Chrome - the site is whitelisted, and I don't get the warning banner.

Different adblockers work different ways. Some just let you put the site domain name in. Others apparently require you enter the offending adservers.

Firefox tracking protection is a simple enable/disable and the whitelist works.

I have not changed ad providers.

An easy fix would be to give us the add domains you want white listed. I will do it in a New York minute just give us the list!

If you turn off any router-based ad blocker, and access the site using a web browser-based blocker, it should give you the list of things it blocks. You can then whitelist those entries in your usual blocking solution.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!