What's new

Re-purpose of streamboost into a crude cron on R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetBytes

FYI: If you are using Kamoj's great addon you don't need this at all.

I have used what I'm about to describe for over six months now with great success.
I like to disable everything I don't use on my R7800 to stop it running, see this thread for more detailed information.
The existing streamboost is one of the process set to never run again, this *must* be the case to use this replacement..

That being said, the R7800 works VERY hard to ensure that the standard cron job is *always* the following:
40 03 * * * streamboost update_fmn; streamboost auto_upload; streamboost auto_update && streamboost restart

I have been working on a strange reboot issue with my R7800 and have been frequently (re)installing Voxel firmware of various versions
as I tested. I have aegis installed and originally would refresh the blocklists by hand every few days.
But knowing the R7800's insistence of running it's job at 3:40am I decided to use this to my advantage.

Below is the streamboost script I use now, which I have on a usb and auto-copied back onto the router via an automount script.
(currently found in /etc/init.d on Voxel's 1.0.2.81 and later)
Code:
#!/bin/sh

#
# a small streamboost replacement to act as a tiny cron
# 1) i don't need to use the actual streamboost
# 2) i am currently not installing kamoj (which I love. just using k.i.s.s. principal testing for now)
#
aStep="update_fmn"
bStep="auto_upload"
cStep="auto_update"
dStep="restart"

if [ $1 == $aStep ]
then
   echo "called first by r7800 cron" >/dev/null

elif [ $1 == $bStep ]
then
   echo "called second by r7800 cron" >/dev/null

elif [ $1 == $cStep ]
then
   #echo "called third by r7800 cron" >/dev/null
   aegis refresh

elif [ $1 == $dStep ]
then
   echo "called fourth by r7800 cron" >/dev/null
fi

Each of the four steps called by the default cron job are specified.
I use the third step to have aegis refesh it's rules lists for me.
I post this here should anyone else find it useful.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!