What's new

Readycloud and disappearing folder

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mreg376

Occasional Visitor
So I set up Readycloud on my new R7800, created a Readycloud account and registered the router, inserted a 64GB USB flash drive formatted (on a Mac) as FAT32, and put a file on the drive. Was able to see the shared folder and file on my local network, and was able to access it from anywhere on the app and website. Then some time later it disappears from "Available Network Folders" and there's no access to the folder. When I remove the drive from the R7800 and check it on a computer, the file is still there, in the root directory of the drive. I erase the drive and start over, the same thing eventually happens. Thoughts?

Edit: Using Voxel's firmware 45F.

Last edited:
So I set up Readycloud on my new R7800, created a Readycloud account and registered the router, inserted a 64GB USB flash drive formatted (on a Mac) as FAT32, .

I've noticed Readycloud is extremely flakey with stock or custom firmware. I then realized I couldn't play a decent sized mkv movie, so that right there renders it useless for my needs.

I setup Jriver and Plex media servers.. much nicer to stream flac to my android cell @ work or on the commute.

Well if it's flaky with stock OR custom firmware that doesn't leave many Readycloud options. I'm thinking maybe it happened because I'm using an inexpensive Micro Center flash drive...?

Ok, so I replaced my cheap Micro Center flash drive with a Sandisk, one from the recommended list. That seems to have solved the disappearing folder problem. Now I am able to see the folder locally, but it is not accessible through Readycloud. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Ok, so I replaced my cheap Micro Center flash drive with a Sandisk, one from the recommended list. That seems to have solved the disappearing folder problem. Now I am able to see the folder locally, but it is not accessible through Readycloud. Any help would be appreciated.
It is strange. I do use ReadyCLOUD for tests and I can see all my folders and files. Right not I tried to download some files as a test. No problems. But note: I use ext4 filesystem.

I'd suggest you:

1. Use some other format e.g. NTFS. Or if your flash drive is attached to the router all the time, format it as ext4. The last is native format for Linux and because of this it is more stable with your router.

2. Clear cache of your browser.

3. Maybe it is necessary to do hard reset of your router (to make sure that ReadyCLOUD is installed from the scratch).

Voxel.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense to format as ext4. Id love to, but I can't figure out how. The option is not available on my Macs, and while my Synology router had a format function, I can't find one on the R7800. Maybe add it to 46F? :)

Makes sense to format as ext4. Id love to, but I can't figure out how.
It is manual job. You should use telnet client and format your flash drive from telnet console.

1. Disable any ReadyCloud/ReadySHARE/media servers (no FTP, Samba, minidlna etc).
2. Reboot router and make sure that USB is not attached yet.
3. Enable telnet from http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm page.
4. Enter by telnet to your router.
5. Attach your USB, it should be mounted as /mnt/sda1
6. Run the command:

umount /mnt/sda1

7. Run the command:

mkfs.ext4 -L label /dev/sda1

(where "label" is the label of USB you want to use; you can run "mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1" if no label)

8. Reboot your router.

That's all

Voxel.

Last edited:
I appreciate the information, Voxel. I did it all. Still could not see the ext4-formatted drive on Readycloud, and although I could see the drive locally, I could no longer drag files to it in Mac's Finder. So I am back to FAT32 format, so at least I can see and use the drive locally. But I am still at a loss about why Readycloud is blind to it. The funny thing is that when I first set it up, it worked everywhere! Then it went away. Do you think something in the router could have failed?

Edit: The USB drive is working fine locally, fully accessible on my three home Macs. I can create additional share folders, move files around, run videos off the drive. And Readycloud sees the router, but not the drive. I'm convinced that this is a Readycloud problem. Of course that brings me no closer to an answer...

Last edited:
I appreciate the information, Voxel. I did it all. Still could not see the ext4-formatted drive on Readycloud, and although I could see the drive locally, I could no longer drag files to it in Mac's Finder. So I am back to FAT32 format, so at least I can see and use the drive locally. But I am still at a loss about why Readycloud is blind to it. The funny thing is that when I first set it up, it worked everywhere! Then it went away. Do you think something in the router could have failed?

Edit: The USB drive is working fine locally, fully accessible on my three home Macs. I can create additional share folders, move files around, run videos off the drive. And Readycloud sees the router, but not the drive. I'm convinced that this is a Readycloud problem. Of course that brings me no closer to an answer...

That is exactly the way it used to be with me. It worked great for weeks initially.. Then it began acting flakey.. then I could never bring it up at all. That's why I stopped trying to get it to work, I think the software itself is just bugged.

That is exactly the way it used to be with me. It worked great for weeks initially.. Then it began acting flakey.. then I could never bring it up at all. That's why I stopped trying to get it to work, I think the software itself is just bugged.

Not good. I'm not a fan of keeping a device when a feature of that device does not work. This router has been out for two years, so if they haven't figured it out by now they probably won't. I don't have the time or inclination to endlessly tinker and go around in circles for no reason. I will likely return the R7800 and go back to my Synology RT2600ac. Same basic hardware, but everything works. Glad I held on to that!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!