What's new

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 poor write speeds over GB

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgrobins

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm after some advice re performance of my home LAN and my ReadyNAS Ultra 6.

I have been using it to transfer large files between my desktop PC and NAS. copying from my PC to the NAS through windows explorer (CIFS) I am seeing speeds top out at 36.5MBps.

The hardware and configuration I have are:

Desktop:
Rampage IV extreme (Intel 82579V gigabit adapter)
i7 3930k CPU and 16GB RAM
Crucial M4 SSD
Win 7 Home premium (x64) – latest drivers and updates.

Switch: TP-Link TL-SG1016 (http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2)

Router (Billion 7800n – not wired into the LAN path for NAS-Desktop)

Cat 6 patch panel and wiring (wired to Aust standards and <15m run)

NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 6 with 4x Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM drives in X-Raid2 configuration.

I have jumbo frames enabled (9014 on desktop and 9000 on NAS as selectable options). The switch supports JF up to 10k. Link speed is detected as GB full duplex.

Other settings are default in the intel Pro-set options.

No other apps or background network tasks are running on the NAS or PC.

Copying from the SSD on my Desktop to the NAS I expected a much better transfer rate.

1. Updated to latest version of Radiator (f/w) on my Readynas
2. latest Intel (OEM) Pro set driver for LAN.
3. file transfer from 1 ssd to another on my desktop ~ 520MB/s

I tested the following configs transferring a 4GB file from PC -> NAS using windows explorer (drag and drop to share on NAS):

1. No JF. 35MB/s
2. 4k JF on PC, JF 'on' on NAS: 37MB/s
3. 9k JF on PC, JF 'on' on NAS: 37MB/s

Reading from the NAS, a 4GB file NAS->PC transfers at 120MB/s (tested using SSD and 10k Raptor).

I connected the NAS direct cable to PC and got the same results to within ~1-2MB/s so the switch and internal wiring isn't the issue.

I confirmed the drives in the NAS are: Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 (7200RPM, 64MB Cache 2 TB). 4 drives striped in X-RAID2 for 3 data/1 parity arrangement.

I have 2 spare drives to add to the NAS.... guess I could place them in and see if the throughput improves but I am really expecting more at this point. Even though this is Atom powered it should still be performing better.

I wonder if more RAM would help ? (really shouldn't given the small kernel but open to advice).

I'm stumped :/.

Ok, I think I worked this one out.

Disabling full write journaling in the performance tab of the NAS UI gave me ~80MB/s write up from 37MB/s.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!