What's new

Really disappointed with AiMesh, I switched to something else

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What brand/model?
AVM Fritz!box 7590 good for me and my requirements - not meant to be right for others too!
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aimesh-did-anyone-give-up.49084/page-4#post-468565

Dare I ask?

All I need is:

3 wifi "points"
No disconnects
Wifi calling that actually works.

Not a great demand, but it's not happening here.
thats the exactly problem!

Never had problems with one (!!!) my old RT-AC68U till they dramatically reduced power (in 2015 firmwares) and I did not cover my house anymore with one router ...

Dare I ask?

All I need is:

3 wifi "points"
No disconnects
Wifi calling that actually works.

Not a great demand, but it's not happening here.

You could try this. I've tried it, I'm using it, and I like it:
1 x TP-Link C4000,
2 x TP-Link WPA8630,
1 x TP-Link RE650.
The C4000 gives out three bands - 2.4 GHz, 5 GHZ and 5 GHz, the 2 8630s extend wired and wireless (the 2.4 GHz and 1 x 5 GHz), while the RE650 extends the other 5 GHz.
Nothing fancy, but it's been working nice and smooth (smooth - that's what I missed with my previous router) for a month now.
Compared to the RT-AC86U, I'm in heaven.
And a recommendation - my two daughters would go for my throat if the interent wasn't working, so I guess I'm highly motivated.

You could try this. I've tried it, I'm using it, and I like it:
1 x TP-Link C4000,
2 x TP-Link WPA8630,
1 x TP-Link RE650.
The C4000 gives out three bands - 2.4 GHz, 5 GHZ and 5 GHz, the 2 8630s extend wired and wireless (the 2.4 GHz and 1 x 5 GHz), while the RE650 extends the other 5 GHz.
Nothing fancy, but it's been working nice and smooth (smooth - that's what I missed with my previous router) for a month now.
Compared to the RT-AC86U, I'm in heaven.
And a recommendation - my two daughters would go for my throat if the interent wasn't working, so I guess I'm highly motivated.

They have not updated the C4000 firmware since its initial release 4/2018... that's either very good or not so good!?

OE

Depends how you look at it, OE.
On the one hand, you could say that you're missing the latest security updates, etc. A valid point, I guess.
But on the other you could argue that a firmware which works stable, even if relatively old, is worth more (much more) to the average user than a multitude of firmwares which seem to introduce new bugs/instabilities - my experience with the RT-AC86U exactly.
Don't get me wrong - while I love the very advanced configurability which Asus firmware provides, the concomitant instability drives me nuts.

Speak about guest wifi, I really love synology guest wifi which will auto change the password and send e-mail to notify you, I didn't see any "home" wifi router can do this, and this is extreme useful.

Depends how you look at it, OE.
On the one hand, you could say that you're missing the latest security updates, etc. A valid point, I guess.
But on the other you could argue that a firmware which works stable, even if relatively old, is worth more (much more) to the average user than a multitude of firmwares which seem to introduce new bugs/instabilities - my experience with the RT-AC86U exactly.
Don't get me wrong - while I love the very advanced configurability which Asus firmware provides, the concomitant instability drives me nuts.

My preferred firmware release timeline would probably be a few upfront updates to fix the initial release, followed by periodic security updates until end-of-life... without adding new defects(, ASUS!).

ASUS has sort of blown this all to hell by trying to roll out AiMesh over time for existing and new product. When the dust finally settles, they may end up with a product similar to their competition... a shrink-wrapped, plug and play consumer mesh system with simple remote nodes, not prosumer router nodes. Let's hope their tortured AiMesh firmware development makes a difference.

OE

I fully agree with you, mate.
1) Couldn't have put it better myself, that would be a really sensible approach. As it is, we can choose between routers which, admittedly, appear semi-abandoned as regards firmware updates (TP-Link), or ones with firmware that gets buggier and buggier with each new - and frequent - release (Asus).
2) Before joining SNB, I read quite a bit about AiMesh, as I was considering it for a time. But I was discouraged by the problems so many people had with it and finally lost interest. Although from what I read your setup seems to be working ok, and I hope it continues that way.
Following my RT-AC86U debacle I'll just stick with the C4000 and see how it goes. Anyhow, I'll probably replace it in three years or so (when the Trend Micro subscription expires), unless of course it bombs out earlier. Right now its working brilliantly - just as I hoped the RT-AC86U would be.

I keep meaning to rejigger my smart connect settings but always seem to get distracted before I dig into optimal settings.

I have a strange issue with one device that connects via 2.4 ghz but only connects to the main router not any of the AImesh ones... I've reset it like 20 times and each time it comes up and will only connect to the main router which is so far away it's totally unstable.

Anyone have the link (cause I'm lazy and searching this forum is an art not a science) for recommended smart connect settings and roaming via aimesh?

Well, after trying out AiMesh for sometime. I tired to work with engineers in ASUS in order to make it stable, but finally I cannot make it stable in my home environment. The last firmware version that I have tried is 3.0.0.4.384.45149. It is time for me to give up and try out something else.

I switched from my ASUS AiMesh setup (2x RT-AC88U + 1x RT-AC86U) to a Synology solution (MR2200ACx3).

What my comments is Synology rocks!! It works, it is stable, it is standard (802.11r), it transfers fast as well!! I think it is the point of no return, haha. I never got a disconnect from any of my 5x devices in my smart home configuration using the Synology mesh.

Compare with ASUS AiMesh, my devices keeps on disconnects and reconnect and sometime will stay offline unless reboot it. Too many problems.

I totally agree. I have been running an AiMesh for 6 months now. I had a chronic problem with one of my wi-fi enabled security cameras disconnecting and reconnecting every 30 seconds. I thought it was an issue with the camera, so I finally changed it to a wired connection. That fixed it, but then my second security camera began exhibiting the same symptoms. This camera was only 6 feet away from my AiMesh node, yet the AiMesh main router which was positioned 20 feet away, continued to connect and disconnect the device. I tried tuning the roaming assistant to no avail. Even with this feature disabled, the issue persisted. I finally removed both routers from the AiMesh and changed the node router to an AP. This brought stability back to my network. The AiMesh is a good concept, but until the issues are addressed, it is not usable. If we were able to do fine grain adjustments like specifying a preferred node for wi-fi devices, then maybe this would give the AiMesh the stability that is currently lacking.

Re:
"Really disappointed with AiMesh"

AiMesh is an abomination and complete garbage as of January 19, 2020.

Do not enable mesh mode unless you want your WiFi to suck.

Back to normal AP Mode for all four (4) Asus RT-AX92U units at this time.

I am one pissed off Asus customer right now.

Re:

What seems to be the problem? :)

OE

Re:

Not to defend AiMesh that surely has its share of issues but that "Wifi sucks" is hardly one of them. It is stupid to join a forum and to create a post like that without any details on the actual problem. Surely you must be on someones payroll to spread FUD like this.

i never tried wireless backhaul but i'm on wired with 2 AC86u routers running in aimesh and it's working pretty well. i'd say it's comparable to the Linksys Velop system my brother has in his house. don't have any other references to compare to unfortunately.

Not to defend AiMesh that surely has its share of issues but that "Wifi sucks" is hardly one of them. It is stupid to join a forum and to create a post like that without any details on the actual problem. Surely you must be on someones payroll to spread FUD like this.

I needed to calm down, rest and return to add facts after wasting many hours on Asus AiMesh.
My first post was merely a warning sign to others that Asus AiMesh is unusable garbage in its current incarnation.

First, I have significant experience in WiFi and RF and have years of real world actual experience building complex WiFi solutions including mission critical voice applications.

Second, I am generally a fan of Asus gear for home WiFi and as such, had no issues dropping $740 on four (4) units of:
Asus RT-AX92U AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Router with 802.11Ax
to update my home with some new tech 802.11AX love :)

The short summary:
- The units were a pain in the butt to get into "mesh" mode - Carrying each unit near the master to link it is not a good method
- After "AiMesh" mode:
a.) The various clients around my house got extremely slow throughput if they could transfer at all (11MBs on clients usually getting 300MBs+ on WiFi)
b.) In some cases clients were no longer able to even use the WiFi for more than a few minutes
c.) On 2.4Ghz all the units all used the same frequency / channel at the same time, like all units on channel 6 instead of spreading out like say 1, 4, 7, 11
d.) Using the wired back haul preference randomly used the gig link at times and seemingly did whatever the hell it wanted (sometimes nothing at all)

I am not here to plead my case of ask for help.
I am here to warn others that Asus AiMesh is unusable garbage in its current state as of January 2020 period.

I am here to warn others that Asus AiMesh is unusable garbage in its current state as of January 2020 period.

Or is it a case of a bad workman blaming his tools ?

WiFi AiMesh is not perfect with many manufacturers and each user situation is different.

Your pointless rant is not helpful or at all accurate, there are many here that are very happy with ASUS AiMesh , WiFi problems are 99% local issues.

Last edited:
Or is it a case of a bad workman blaming his tools ?

WiFi AiMesh is not perfect with many manufacturers and each user situation is different.

Your pointless rant is not helpful or at all accurate, there are many here that are very happy with ASUS AiMesh , WiFi problems are 99% local issues.
I don't think so. A lot of users have ASUS AiMesh issues that have not been fixed. 99% local issue? Oh god...

The short summary:
- The units were a pain in the butt to get into "mesh" mode - Carrying each unit near the master to link it is not a good method
- After "AiMesh" mode:
a.) The various clients around my house got extremely slow throughput if they could transfer at all (11MBs on clients usually getting 300MBs+ on WiFi)
b.) In some cases clients were no longer able to even use the WiFi for more than a few minutes
c.) On 2.4Ghz all the units all used the same frequency / channel at the same time, like all units on channel 6 instead of spreading out like say 1, 4, 7, 11
d.) Using the wired back haul preference randomly used the gig link at times and seemingly did whatever the hell it wanted (sometimes nothing at all)

Sounds like you never got your equipment working right for some reason. I'm able to add my wireless node to AiMesh in place, 77' feet away.

a,b) clients connect at link rate and get my ISP speeds;
c) AiMesh uses the router configured WiFi channels for all nodes by design;
d) a wired backhaul will depend on the wire and any switches... some switches defeat auto-sensing of backhaul type, so you should set the node connection priority to wired/Ethernet.

Did you try getting a 2-node AiMesh up and running successfully first... to prevent adding a defective node to the mix?

Did you install the latest firmware and then reset the routers before proceeding to setup the network?

If the product failed you, return it while you can and get something else. You might want to consider something with less expensive APs since using AIO draft AX routers as APs can get expensive.

OE

Last edited:

Running 4 RT-AX92U seems overkill. Did you ever try running just 1 router and see if that was enough for the home? Instead of buying of 4 these units...you should of try running 1 Rt-Ax88u and I bet that would have been enough for the whole house.

I needed to calm down, rest and return to add facts after wasting many hours on Asus AiMesh.
My first post was merely a warning sign to others that Asus AiMesh is unusable garbage in its current incarnation.

First, I have significant experience in WiFi and RF and have years of real world actual experience building complex WiFi solutions including mission critical voice applications.

Second, I am generally a fan of Asus gear for home WiFi and as such, had no issues dropping $740 on four (4) units of:
Asus RT-AX92U AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Router with 802.11Ax
to update my home with some new tech 802.11AX love :)

The short summary:
- After "AiMesh" mode:

Well thank you for elaborating. I do use AiMesh with two GT-AC5300 and a wired backhaul. It does work and do not experience ANY issues you mention besides the shared channel.
So this may come down to the AX models not being ready for primetime and so it should be expected since the standard is far from ready. I do however have issues with the node going offline in the latest firmware (even had it changed since it seemed like a faulty hardware issue but it continued) and since it is a terrible ROG branded device it means we don't get firmwares and have to live with these bugs for 4 months now. Other known issue with AiMesh is the complete lack of a distributed guest network which every real mesh system support. They promised it long ago but it is never is going to happen.

Running 4 RT-AX92U seems overkill. Did you ever try running just 1 router and see if that was enough for the home? Instead of buying of 4 these units...you should of try running 1 Rt-Ax88u and I bet that would have been enough for the whole house.

I would've thought if you're paying out for 4 nodes and (the OP) claim to have some technical knowhow and also have backbone wiring available then other solutions are possibly more attractive and of comparable cost? If he really needs all that it must be one big house or have very thick walls.