What's new

Really disappointed with AiMesh, I switched to something else

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am using RT-AC5300, I hope the next firmware update will enable the option to get back my tri-band as normal used, I am using a ethernet wire as backhaul in my AiMesh, I don't need to use that 3rd band as backhaul. This is just so stupid to force a backhaul when really don't need.

Why is no one talking about this issues?

@tkeung mo, everyone is talking about it. Make sure you let Asus know directly if you want them to change it. ;)

@tkeung mo, everyone is talking about it. Make sure you let Asus know directly if you want them to change it. ;)

Not everyone... just tri-band owners using wired backhauls. :)

OE

You should review your installation. My install notes.

OE
Having little time to tweak and mainly following Asuswrt-Merlin forum, I have missed this thread and wasted the family long weekend with what someone nicely called AiMess!
Just here to say thanks to OE for his notes.
Also many thanks to RMerlin for all the years of keeping us in the Asus bandwagon!
I went through a full reshuffle of my good old RT-AC5300 that has always been running the latest alpha/beta dirty flashed Merlin serving 80% of the house well, trying to add a GT-AC5300 as an AiMesh node to cover the 20% of the house where only 2.4G works.

So far, I've experienced just about everything mentioned by other frustrated users here - from simple FTP session between 2 of my laptops breaking and wouldn't reconnect because they bounced around the 2 routers.
To WiFi calls dropping all the time under AiMesh but used to work fine.
To the slow speeds because somehow 50-60 devices moved to the node.
To Google Cast insisting I've lost 8 of my Home speakers and I can't cast the next song to them.
To... well, just about everything that used to work better even with my older RT-AC68U (yeah, I tried adding it to the AiMesh around Christmas but it was a disaster and I had assumed it was too old, so went after another RT-AC5300 or GT-AC5300 or maybe some AX model).

Any ideas or I'm singing the same song as most of you in this thread?

Typing this after I completed OE notes from the link above now several times, currently with a fully reset GT-AC5300 as the main router (now with beta Firmware Version:9.0.0.4.384_81551), just one node RT-AC5300 (now also with RT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_384_81468-gcc98201.trx) and looking at the nearest Smart Display connecting, casting Spotify, it stopped, no wifi, reconnecting..., connecting... Spotify starting... and stopping again... no wifi...

Off to r/Vent and probably restoring Settings_RT-AC5300_384.15 and putting the GT-AC5300 back in the box to see if BestBuy would take it back after a month.

I wish I saw this thread a few weeks and $$$ earlier! :)