What's new

Recomendations buying a new Asus router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarWell

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone! I'm planning to purchase a new Asus Router. The main use I'll give the router is to use it with OpenVPN connection, my Internet speed is about 200 Mbps, but I'm using a old Asus that can only archive around 22 Mbps (AC66U_B1) and I'm losing a lot of speed, the VPN provider can usually run over 190 Mbps using desktop client. The main options in the market are that I can aford are ($175-$250):

RT-AX86U (The one I have heard the most)
RT-AX82U
RT-AC5300
RT-AC86U
GT-AC2900

Which is the better one among all these? Thinking that I want to get as close of my real Internet Speed running through OpenVPN Connection.

Thanks!

1st one is fine

The RT-AX86U, RT-AC86U, and possibly the GT-AC2900 (if RMerlin support continues for this 'experimental' model) are the ones that will give you up to about 250Mbps VPN speeds with the right ISP, VPN provider, and server combinations. In that order.

The RT-AX86U, RT-AC86U, and possibly the GT-AC2900 (if RMerlin support continues for this 'experimental' model) are the ones that will give you up to about 250Mbps VPN speeds with the right ISP, VPN provider, and server combinations. In that order.
So will the RT-AX88U. If you need another option :)

Thanks, I have searched the AX86U in phisical Store, but it's out of stock, so I have purchased online and waiting to arrive. Do you recommend me flash it with Merlin right away?