What's new

Redirecting all DNS Requests to pfSense

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fingers

Regular Contributor
I want to eliminate any clients using their own pre-installed DNS servers.

I have followed this tutorial :
https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/dns/redirecting-all-dns-requests-to-pfsense.html

Results:

Port Forward
screenshot-192.168.1.1-2020.04.26-17_24_47.png

LAN Rule:
screenshot-192.168.1.1-2020.04.26-17_25_37.png

Localhost Selected:
screenshot-192.168.1.1-2020.04.26-17_26_25.png

Manually added Google DNS added to windows NIC, but still connects:

screenshot-www.dnsleaktest.com-2020.04.26-17_38_58.png

Am I missing something obvious? :confused:

Last edited:
This is a little more elegant than the way I do it. I create an ACL to block all port 53 udp/tcp then I create a ACL to allow only the DNS I use which is QUAD9 9.9.9.9. My way it breaks all DNS but QUAD9. The pfsense way is it redirects all DNS to the pfsense DNS.

This is a little more elegant than the way I do it. I create an ACL to block all port 53 udp/tcp then I create a ACL to allow only the DNS I use which is QUAD9 9.9.9.9. My way it breaks all DNS but QUAD9. The pfsense way is it redirects all DNS to the pfsense DNS.

Thanks, I did try that too as a test, and weirdly that didnt work either. The windows machine still used Google DNS. I'm at a loss to see why, I have also reset states and that makes no difference.

I guess to test it you will need to add an ACL to block all DNS except the DNS pfsense is using. Then start trouble shooting from there.

Theatrically any DNS you add to a Windows PC will be redirected to pfsense's DNS.

PS
I guess you know when you do ACLs you do the permits first and then the deny all last. I would use the WAN interface as it will be safer.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!