What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

any news for 382 frimware for the RT-AC5300 ? @RMerlin

The GPL is still not released from Asus - you can see that on the Asus support website under ‘Other’ downloads.
Go bug them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asus changed the way the sig update script gets included in the firmware at some point during 382 development. There are now two separate update scripts which refer to different URLs.

The new script gets used when building with firmware update checks disabled, but not when it's enabled. Which is why some firmware builds had the correct scripts, and others didn't.

The correct script is this one:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/R.../src/router/rom/webs_scripts/sig2nd_update.sh

How do I use it to fix?
I tried to run it, the signature version still show 2.028 in the webui.

Good morning,

I am writing this message in order to report some problems that I have had to deal with so far with my RT-AC86U router using the stable version of firmware 382.1. I am using my router as a VPN client/server and as a cloud (with USB stick 3.0).

First issue: The USB stick is unregistered from the router. (No device under USB 3.0 in the GUI). In this case, If I try to go to the cloud, I'm not able to see the folders. However, I am able to see the icon representing the router/storage capacity. The only way to solve this problem is to disconnect and reconnect the USB stick then refresh the browser to see the device back.

Second issue: Sometime, the folders in the cloud will turn ‘’white’’ color instead of their usual yellowish color. In this case, it gives me a Server 500 error if I click on them. The only way to bring the folders back to their previous state is to reboot the router.

Third issue: This problem occurs at the same time I reboot the router when I want to fix ‘’Second issue’’. In fact, the router remains turned off. I have to boot it manually with the ON/OFF button. Doesn’t occur when I reboot for ‘’First issue’’.

Hope this help to find a solution.

Thank you.

Any idea why RT-AC86U has no IGMP Snooping option? My IPTV channels freeze without it.
RT-N66U from 2011 works fine and has this that RT-AC86U hasn't:
eWHCZED.png

Is the router itself unable to have "Efficient multicast forwarding" or does this option need to be un-hidden somehow? It looks like I have return it and wait until it's fixed? :(

Last edited:
If possible could you please update minidlna to v1.2.1.

Asus's minidlna code has diverged too much from the stock minidlna. I spent a lot of time one night trying to merge the changes, and ultimately gave up because it was far more trouble than I was willing to put into it.

Also I've tried to regenerate my server cetificate to correct the wrong IP issue but it doesn't seem to change/update.

I did it on my router last night and it worked for me. Double check what your LAN IP is, especially if you are not running in router mode.

First issue: The USB stick is unregistered from the router. (No device under USB 3.0 in the GUI). In this case, If I try to go to the cloud, I'm not able to see the folders. However, I am able to see the icon representing the router/storage capacity. The only way to solve this problem is to disconnect and reconnect the USB stick then refresh the browser to see the device back.

Disable the option to reduce USB 3.0 Interference, under Wireless -> Professional.

Second issue: Sometime, the folders in the cloud will turn ‘’white’’ color instead of their usual yellowish color. In this case, it gives me a Server 500 error if I click on them. The only way to bring the folders back to their previous state is to reboot the router.

What cloud are you talking about?

Any idea why RT-AC86U has no IGMP Snooping option? My IPTV channels freeze without it.
RT-N66U from 2011 works fine and has this that RT-AC86U hasn't:

Because that feature was deprecated on the HND platform, and replaced by a new MCD daemon from Broadcom. No idea how it can be accessed/configured by end users. You will have to ask Asus.

How do I use it to fix?
I tried to run it, the signature version still show 2.028 in the webui.

You will have to wait. Something else must have changed because the new signature fail their RSA validation when downloaded, just using the new update and upgrade script doesn't work.

Asus's minidlna code has diverged too much from the stock minidlna. I spent a lot of time one night trying to merge the changes, and ultimately gave up because it was far more trouble than I was willing to put into it.

I did it on my router last night and it worked for me. Double check what your LAN IP is, especially if you are not running in router mode.

Understood, only asked cause maybe it'll fix some issues, get booted out of what I'm watching now and again, new added content indexing issues and sometimes it won't even play something I've already been watching.

The cert problem is resolved, thanks, it just took a very long time to show the new updated info after renewal.

Thanks again

Upgraded my 88U to 382.1

I did a factory restore before and after the upgrade, and then hand configured everything back in. Entware/OpenVPN all work just fine for me (was expecting to maybe find issues with the scale of the change but so far so good).

Below is a summary of problems I did find. Nothing catastrophic and some you already are aware of. Overall I'm very pleased with how it's gone, many thanks as usual for your hard work and commitment to solid and stable releases.

I have to use WAN ClientId DHCP option 61 for my ISP. When trying to set this in the WebUI it says Applying... then the field returns as empty.
The string I have to use is "install@o2broadband.co.uk|password" so I wonder if the pipe is the issue.
I have worked around it with;
Code:
nvram set wan0_clientid="install@o2broadband.co.uk|password"
nvram set wan_clientid="install@o2broadband.co.uk|password"

The network map is a joke! Why did Asus make this closed source! With your fixes it had just become useful over the last few versions! Don't suppose you can replace their implementation with yours like you did with OpenVPN!?

Not sure if this is new to 382 or not, or if you have any control over it, but, Traffic Analyser>Traffic Monitor seems a bit fooey with the 5Ghz WiFi monitoring...
1. When Down/Uploading over 5Ghz WiFi the Wired graph shows the traffic (as well as Internet and Wireless 5Ghz as you would expect)
2. WiFi 5Ghz never shows any upload (it does appear on the Wired graph though per previous statement)

As others have already reported, my signature is stuck at 2.002 and claims to be up to date.

As an aside, I also took delivery of an RT-AC5300 today and set it up in Bridge Mode for now, serving my TV/Set-top Box etc via 5Ghz backhaul (as 2.4Ghz is naff in my house). Just need Asus to release AiMesh for it and the 88U (and of course for you to make your release from their GPL) and I'll have a pretty sweet setup!

Thanks again @RMerlin

Tried tlthe test build get a signature update failed on my 88u.

Ok, I'm on test build now and I can say the QOS Statistics is working with PPPoE:

T98EESq.png

Anyhow, I don't know if it's supposed to be addressed, but the bug of not allowing to modify the name/icon of clients after a certain number (30ish it seems) is still present. Though I noticed the icon is personalized when the device connects to the router and sometime also the name, with the hostname of the client (for example I listed in the Guest MAC list and then connected a brand new Huawei P10 and, even if I'm not allowed to change name/icon of the client, at its first connection, they were personalized with the icon of the 'Android Smartphone' and the name 'HUAWEI_P10'; now I'm not able to change it)

Do you know where I can find the signature version on RT-AC86U?

If there isn't any difference on AC86U; it should be under Administration -> Administration -> Signature Version.

Ok, I'm on test build now and I can say the QOS Statistics is working with PPPoE:

T98EESq.png

Anyhow, I don't know if it's supposed to be addressed, but the bug of not allowing to modify the name/icon of clients after a certain number (30ish it seems) is still present. Though I noticed the icon is personalized when the device connects to the router and sometime also the name, with the hostname of the client (for example I listed in the Guest MAC list and then connected a brand new Huawei P10 and, even if I'm not allowed to change name/icon of the client, at its first connection, they were personalized with the icon of the 'Android Smartphone' and the name 'HUAWEI_P10'; now I'm not able to change it)

My ‘solution’ to the client naming is to give everything I care about a manual IP in the DHCP Server Settings page. Here you can give it a ‘nice name’ and a preferred hostname and it appears to stick regardless of how many clients you have. The icon you still have to change from the Network Map page but I found if I refreshed a few times it would let me change the ones I wanted. You have to be quick though. If the page auto refreshes whilst you are selecting a new icon it often doesn’t stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!