What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Only odd thing ive noticed.....

Playing fifa on the ps4 sometimes i block one of the two subnets where they locate the game servers are .
ireland or holland.
Blocked the dutch servers but checked the connections log at half time and it had still allowed me to send udp packets to the dutch servers....

Can any AC86U user confirm their AIprotection signature version?
Mine has been stuck at 2.028 since beta 3.
I have stock firmware.
I have:

Code:
Signature Version 2.042
Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.382_18219-g76de09e

Thanks!

@RMerlin any idea why the definitions wont update?
I have done a full reset on both beta 3 and on 381.1 final.

@dvohwinkel did you ever get yours to update?

Make sure you don't use any custom firewall script that might interfere with it.

Check the /jffs/signature/rule.trf file. Mine is dated November 9th. If it's much older, then remove the file, and force another check.

Also make sure you do have Adaptive QoS or Apps support enabled, otherwise your router might not even use these signatures, could explain why they aren't being downloaded.

Make sure you don't use any custom firewall script that might interfere with it.

Check the /jffs/signature/rule.trf file. Mine is dated November 9th. If it's much older, then remove the file, and force another check.

Also make sure you do have Adaptive QoS or Apps support enabled, otherwise your router might not even use these signatures, could explain why they aren't being downloaded.

I tried to update before installing ab-solution and skynet but same result.
(disabled again and still says "signature is up to date")
I cant find the file in this location. I dont have a signature folder when checking under /jffs/ in WinSCP.
I did find one rule.trf under usr/bwdpi. (November 12th)
I have all AIprotect (network) options enabled.

Can any AC86U user confirm their AIprotection signature version?
Mine has been stuck at 2.028 since beta 3.
I have the AC88U and it has been on 2.002 for a while. It has not updated in a while. I am not sure what the current version is.

Mine is 2.002, I've removed the rule.trf, and forced to check. router said "Signature is up to date" now there isn't any rule.trf;

admin@Fatiii:/jffs/signature# ls
admin@Fatiii:/jffs/signature#

:eek:

Tested and yes, same symptoms as on stock.

What scares me is that it's a completely random behavior; I tried to modify several parameters on smb.conf, but the speed variation seems not affected by them, but by something else in the enviroment or in the SAMBA server itself

What scares me is that it's a completely random behavior; I tried to modify several parameters on smb.conf, but the speed variation seems not affected by them, but by something else in the enviroment or in the SAMBA server itself

While not being very scientific and just my oberservation while looking at a ssh top session, sometime transfers don't get prioritized and aren't given enough cpu power.

NTFS partitions are using a closed source driver by Tuxera, I think, so that's probably the reason they don't have an O/I problem.

Let's just hope Asus fixes it's in the next update which will probably drop next month looking at their two month release timeline.

Edit: While trying to connect to the router over https I get the not secure warning. On the Administation -- System -- Local Access Config -- Installed Server Cetificate section I get:

Code:
Issued to :    192.168.50.1
SAN :    192.168.50.1 router.asus.com RT-AC86U-A6E8
Issued by :    192.168.50.1
Expires on :    2027/2/15

Which seems wrong, my router's IP is 192.168.1.1.

Last edited:
While not being very scientific and just my oberservation while looking at a ssh top session, sometime transfers don't get prioritized and aren't given enough cpu power.

NTFS partitions are using a closed source driver by Tuxera, I think, so that's probably the reason they don't have an O/I problem.

Let's just hope Asus fixes it's in the next update which will probably drop next month looking at their two month release timeline.

I think the problem may be related to I/O indeed: I tried to enable debug logging for SAMBA and I did't find any suspect in the log during the transfer at the "limited" speed of about 15 Mb/s. Furthermore, and this is the main reason I suspect of I/O issue, either with 108 Mb/s or 15 Mb/s SAMBA copy, the CPU works at 100% in both cases (tested with htop on SSH)

I have the AC88U and it has been on 2.002 for a while. It has not updated in a while. I am not sure what the current version is.

Then I don't know. Could be something related to the update servers.

When 382 releases for RT-AC5300 should we do a factory reset after upgrading from the latest release @RMerlin ? Tks

I will know once I get code for that model, until then I can't predict what will be needed then.

Which seems wrong, my router's IP is 192.168.1.1.

Re-generate it. That IP is what is used when the router is first booted, before you configure it.

No mine never updated. I don't have anything special enabled. I also don't even have a /jffs/signature directory.. wonder if that is the problem. I will make one and run the check again

No mine never updated. I don't have anything special enabled. I also don't even have a /jffs/signature directory.. wonder if that is the problem. I will make one and run the check again

Nope making the directory didn't help. I do not have QoS enabled nor App support. My settings are pretty vanilla. I tried reformatting /jffs and it removed the signature directory again. I recreated signature directory and touched a rule.trf file in there but still nothing. filesize remains 0. So no luck here.

Last edited:
NO signature update (AC-88U Firmware 382.1)

Merlin bug :(

PLS Reparir

DNS question VPN provider.
I played some time with the new 382-1 FW on my AC88 and I noticed that the DNS IP are the same from my ISP and not changed until I choose for Comodo Sec. DNS, then my DNS IP is changed.

I do this in AiProtection - DNS Filtering- DNS Filter, if I choose for Nofilter, Router, OpenDNS.
Then there's no IP change, if I finaly choose Comodo Sec. DNS, then my DNS IP is changed ONLY.

Is this normal, can anybody explain this (or must I start a new topic), or forget I something?
Because I expect my VPN (sever IPvanish) DNS!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!