What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

also the new test build fixed it.

The reboot did, because there's been zero change to the wireless code in the new test build.

Not in 17 hours no!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear JDB!

I not wrote that "where is the update, gimme now???"
I asked only, that is there any chance to resolve this problem - which experiencing in a lots of official firmwares also - or (I don't know) its so difficult to find and repair, so it won't be repaired in some days. I would like some information at this point.

So please try to understand exactly what other people wrote. ( Actually, either you are a senior member here, if you have no answer for my question(s), please, leave my posts uncommented. )
Thanks and peace.

Dear JDB!

I not wrote that "where is the update, gimme now???"
I asked only, that is there any chance to resolve this problem - which experiencing in a lots of official firmwares also - or (I don't know) its so difficult to find and repair, so it won't be repaired in some days. I would like some information at this point.

So please try to understand exactly what other people wrote. ( Actually, either you are a senior member here, if you have no answer for my question(s), please, leave my posts uncommented. )
Thanks and peace.

I don’t care how you wrote it!!

This is a community driven support forum with zero guaranteed response times and all those with knowledge are offering it for free and along side their ‘day job’.

Have you asked Asus? I bet they haven’t got you a useful response in 17 hours either and you’ve paid for their product!!!

Have some respect and if someone has some info they will share it.

I have a post on this thread reporting a problem too (specific to the Merlin firmware and this release), RMerlin hasn’t responded to it yet. But I know he is a busy man and will get to it when he can!!

[Rude comment deleted by THiggins and RDB warned.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t care how you wrote it!!

This is a community driven support forum with zero guaranteed response times and all those with knowledge are offering it for free and along side their ‘day job’.

Have you asked Asus? I bet they haven’t got you a useful response in 17 hours either and you’ve paid for their product!!!

Have some respect and if someone has some info they will share it.

I have a post on this thread reporting a problem too (specific to the Merlin firmware and this release), RMerlin hasn’t responded to it yet. But I know he is a busy man and will get to it when he can!!
Sorry, I really don't want to disturb anybody, just I am really frustrated actually:

My old AC68U also suffer with this problem - that if I use Parental Control and use AiProtection also, it drops the WAN speed to 1/3 - and I tried to change it to AC88U, but no change.

Still I checked a lots of router tests, I realised that in a most cases, the abilities wrote at product's pages are almost totally lies: that is unable to buy a stable, well usable product what can handle parental control, security features, have a stable 5Ghz wifi ability and get security updates also, and after this, can handle the 1Gbps Wan to lan speed on PPPOE what I have.

I saw a lots of Asus VIP forums where users reported this problem - in my case it started approx. in march when I got an update to AC68U - and still no solution anywhere.
(I checked routers with approx. 400$ price also - for example, the Linksys 9500 - and the price does not matter, they are same: unstable, weak, hot for that high price. )

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reality is if you want 1Gbps with ALL the security features you need to look at enterprise level routers/firewalls, where the price is $1,000’s. I would budget probably $3,000 and have separate router/firewall/AP for this kind of speed.
Home/Small Office solutions for $200-500 are not designed for much more than 200-300Mbps with all features enabled. Most home/offices in Europe/USA have only 50-100Mbps internet... you are very unique/lucky to get 1Gbps!

And I agree, all Home/Office router manufacturers ‘lie’ saying they are 1Gbps routers. They can do it, but only with minimal features enabled.

I think the reality is if you want 1Gbps with ALL the security features you need to look at enterprise level routers/firewalls, where the price is $1,000’s. I would budget probably $3,000 and have separate router/firewall/AP for this kind of speed.
Home/Small Office solutions for $200-500 are not designed for much more than 200-300Mbps with all features enabled. Most home/offices in Europe/USA have only 50-100Mbps internet... you are very unique/lucky to get 1Gbps!

If I would use really all features, then U would be right.
But I don't use all features. Neither NFS or SSH or etc.
As a history, while I used the FW released at March on AC68U, I had turned on the Parental Control and AiProtection and I still got 910-930 Mbps from WAN, it was fine.
After this time, if I got any newer updates, they broke this situation, and can provide only 210-300 Mbps. I can not believe, that its normal, that what was able to work in a FW released in March, is can not work anymore after "whatisit" modified on firmwares.
So now, I have to make a choice:
either I can chose speed (in FW's from March) or I choose safety (with newer FW's with security updates applied.)
Its a joke.

(In Hungary, the DIGI ISP started to provide 1Gbps/200Mbps package only, as a default. You can not sign contract for lower because there is no lower available xD
Internet with TV and phone together in a package is available approx. for 21USD/month. Its good. - As a truth, its not available in all country, so U need some luck that you have to live in a right place where DIGI can provide this package. )

Last edited:
after the RT-AC88U_382.1_0 update on RT 88U i cannot access via ssh to the router. Settings are ok, ssh connection is enabled for wan. I tried to change with lan+wan and also to disable access and then re-enable but with putty i can't access anymore. I also rebooted it but nothing. putty say me: The network error. connection refused. Someone else with this problem?

now i tried Telnet access and i got it with success via putty. The problem is only ssh

And....what is this message on logs?

Nov 21 17:25:03 kernel: dhd_prot_ioctl: status ret value is -17
Nov 21 17:25:05 kernel: dhd_prot_ioctl: status ret value is -17
Nov 21 17:25:05 kernel: dhd_prot_ioctl: status ret value is -17
Nov 21 17:25:06 kernel: dhd_prot_ioctl: status ret value is -17
Nov 21 17:25:06 kernel: dhd_prot_ioctl: status ret value is -17
Nov 21 17:25:25 kernel: dhd_prot_ioctl: status ret value is -17
Nov 21 17:25:25 kernel: dhd_prot_ioctl: status ret value is -17

Last edited:
Because that feature was deprecated on the HND platform, and replaced by a new MCD daemon from Broadcom. No idea how it can be accessed/configured by end users. You will have to ask Asus.

Did so this week, no good.
Asked me for screens of the IPTV tab (which I sent both from RT-N66U and RT-AC86U) and later told me they could escalate the problem to see if it could be fixed in future firmware, but not anymore since I returned. What kind of reasoning is that?

Apart from the unhelpful "support" I'm out of ideas. If only there was some way for more direct contact with their technical/firmware team.

And still waiting for RT-AC87R support.

Beginning to think this thing is getting old and Asus is ignoring it for newer models. Problem is none of the newer models really do ANYTHING better or even remotely add relevant new features.

And still waiting for RT-AC87R support.

Beginning to think this thing is getting old and Asus is ignoring it for newer models. Problem is none of the newer models really do ANYTHING better or even remotely add relevant new features.

No 382 for the RT-AC5300 from Asus either and that is much newer.

They have not updated the 88 or the 3100 since August. And trust me there is nothing special about the 382 code. Big deal.

Thanks Merlin for your effort to dedicate your free time to port from 380 to 382 base firmware. I have installed them on 2 APs and they are running well.

I'm also excited to know that Asus is developing AiMesh with 382 based firmware. This gives me more reasons to keep my older but supported routers :)

Last edited:
If I would use really all features, then U would be right.
But I don't use all features. Neither NFS or SSH or etc.
As a history, while I used the FW released at March on AC68U, I had turned on the Parental Control and AiProtection and I still got 910-930 Mbps from WAN, it was fine.
After this time, if I got any newer updates, they broke this situation, and can provide only 210-300 Mbps. I can not believe, that its normal, that what was able to work in a FW released in March, is can not work anymore after "whatisit" modified on firmwares.
So now, I have to make a choice:
either I can chose speed (in FW's from March) or I choose safety (with newer FW's with security updates applied.)
Its a joke.

(In Hungary, the DIGI ISP started to provide 1Gbps/200Mbps package only, as a default. You can not sign contract for lower because there is no lower available xD
Internet with TV and phone together in a package is available approx. for 21USD/month. Its good. - As a truth, its not available in all country, so U need some luck that you have to live in a right place where DIGI can provide this package. )

You are probably better off with a low power PC built router with pfsense + managed switch. Cheaper and a lot more powerful.

Another posibility is to not use the AiProtection engine and find out how to use iptables rules to control kids internet access.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!