What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Again it's fine on the Asus August 2016 firmware - always comes up instantly. I wonder if it's some setting that I have or if I should factory reset.....
I don't have an answer for you, @Michael Salinger but wanted to chime in as my kids complained that none of our chromecasts, NVIDIA Shield, Sony AVR, Google Home would be discoverable from their Nexus9/5x/6p on N and O. I also couldn't see them from my Pixel XL even when forcing the Home app to rescan. Yet, a couple of Win10 PCs would stream fine and see all of the devices right from the Cast... in the Chrome browser.

Rebooting the ASUS5300AC made no difference. Switching from/to 2.4/5-1/5-2G made no difference. Yet, rebooting the phones fixes it.

Funny enough, if I reboot the router after that again, some phones would see some Cast capable devices, others won't. Timing? On one of the phones, we tried Google Play Music, and the cast icon was there but it would offer to play only to our Sony AVR.... with patience on that screen, some of the 1st Gen Chromecasts would start to show up later. Rebooted the phone and again, it can see them all. I've not touched any of the IGMP or Multicast rate settings for ages.

Something to do with timing on when devices connect to the router?

Again, I can't help but felt @Michael Salinger was lonely in his experience. We are at least 2 of us observing this issue :)

On a side note, the Kasa app on my Pixel also has problems finding my Smart Plugs (HS110). Even when I run nmap from my linuxmint box (my main laptop), it takes multiple nmap runs until it finds all the Smart Plugs. Even the manual firmware update from TP-Link's web site never finds them.

Note - I've had those issues ever since I switched from my old AC68 to the AC5300 (going over a faulty AC5300) and bit the bullet to reconfigure everything from scratch, so it's not related to dirty flashing or the current alpha code.

I was tempted to try the official RT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_382_18943-g5cf14d5.trx from the AiMesh 1117 beta post a couple of weeks ago but I've got 80+ devices with static IPs, rules for the kids to not go to some web sites, time restrictions, etc.... or I've become too lazy and hope @RMerlin would make this into an AC5300 382 built soon and things will sort out themselves. ;)

Last edited:
I’m also experiencing some multicast/IGMP issues.
I have an 88U running 382.1 in router mode and a AC5300 running 380.68_4 in bridge mode (temporary arrangement until AiMesh is supported for both and I swap stuff about).

I have been having discoverability issues for a Sky Q box (both from the Sky Q app for management and YouTube app for casting purposes). Sometimes this is accompanied by a complete lack of IPv4 connectivity to the AC5300 and all the devices hanging off it, sometimes not.

Solution also varies. Sometimes rebooting the Sky Q box does it, sometimes the AC5300, sometimes the 88U and sometimes toggling the iPhone WiFi off/on that’s trying to connect to the Sky Q.
It’s happened often enough that I have tried multiples of the above and there isn’t a definite order/pattern that does it as far as I can tell so far.

For completeness the network elements related to the problem looks like;
iPhone(s)—(5Ghz)—AC88U—(5Ghz)—AC5300—(Eth)—Sky Q

So far it seems all iPhones lose connectivity at the same time.
This was NEVER an issue when all devices were hanging off the 88U directly via WiFi and it was running 380.68_4 - as such I’m unsure if it’s the introduction (purchase) of the AC5300 and it’s bridge function or a 382.1 issue, but as others seem to be having related issues thought it was worth sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My RT-AC3100 is running great. No problems. I have the router set to reboot every Sunday AM so its running rock-solid stable.,

My rt ac88u freeze with this version after about 1 day uptime. I reset it to default and reconfigured but nothing to do. i reinstalled previous version 380.68 that , actually, is the best, no freeze and no problem, tested with uptime over 40 days without reboot.

Last edited:
Sorry I did reset my RT-AC88U with Merlin 382.1 because Cloud-connected Risco cameras did not work (do not tell me why but after reset and identical manual configuration work) and I do not remember how to configure the Wireless-Professional parameter - Roaming Assistant (both for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz).
To have 5 GHz-connected clients, I need to disable it at 5 GHz and set it to -70 at 2.4 GHz?
Thanks... ;)

Sorry I did reset my RT-AC88U with Merlin 382.1 because Cloud-connected Risco cameras did not work (do not tell me why but after reset and identical manual configuration work) and I do not remember how to configure the Wireless-Professional parameter - Roaming Assistant (both for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz).
To have 5 GHz-connected clients, I need to disable it at 5 GHz and set it to -70 at 2.4 GHz?
Thanks... ;)

Use these settings:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-1-is-now-available.42127/page-13#post-359726

After configurating my AC88U like that, the problems with my smartphone loosing connection were history :)

Use these settings:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-1-is-now-available.42127/page-13#post-359726

After configurating my AC88U like that, the problems with my smartphone loosing connection were history :)
Perfect, here you go!!!
I had saved your screenshots and saved it in my Google Drive, but I did not write "Also under Wireless>Professional set 5Ghz Roaming Assistant to -90 dBm and 2.4Ghz Roaming Assistant to -70 dBm."
And think that I also saved the LINK of the post ... ;)
Thanks friend!!! ;) ;) ;)

Perfect, here you go!!!
I had saved your screenshots and saved it in my Google Drive, but I did not write "Also under Wireless>Professional set 5Ghz Roaming Assistant to -90 dBm and 2.4Ghz Roaming Assistant to -70 dBm."
And think that I also saved the LINK of the post ... ;)
Thanks friend!!! ;) ;) ;)

You're welcome ;) But the credit goes to @JDB which made these screenshots!

Upgraded to 382.1 and now the USB 3.0 doesn't appear to pick up the HDD. I can move it to USB 2.0 and it sees it fine. Downgraded to 380.64_4 to see if it was the USB port itself, but i can see it on the older build. Router is an AC88-U

Upgraded to 382.1 and now the USB 3.0 doesn't appear to pick up the HDD. I can move it to USB 2.0 and it sees it fine. Downgraded to 380.64_4 to see if it was the USB port itself, but i can see it on the older build. Router is an AC88-U

Make sure you disable the Reduce USB 3.0 Interference option under Wireless -> Professional. There's no change to the kernel driver with 382.

Tried to update to 382.1 and the update went fine but the 3G USB Modem stopped working - although I don't use it as a Dual WAN but with SMSHandler as a SMS Re-direct. But what I saw was that the kernel recognized the Dongle no problem - but at the next stage didn't enabled USB Serial Support. I've basically backed it out to version 380.68.2 (380.68.4 also didn't work) and now I get a log events:

USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
option 1-2:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
option 1-2:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
option 1-2:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
usbcore: registered new interface driver option
option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems

So I can get my 'system' working again - but would like to move onto the next version as I don't like falling too far behind. Has anyone else come across this problem?

"Reduce USB 3.0 Interference" option disabled it reduce WiFi power?

No, it will only increase the risks of radio interference if your USB disk isn't properly shielded.

What's up guys? I picked up a new Asus 3100 tonight. I installed 382 on it, and got everything configured. I then put my thumb drive in w/ an ext4 partition and tried to run the entware script. It doesn't seem to be installing correctly. Is anyone else facing these issues? I wasn't really sure where to post this. It's my first post here. Forgive me if this is the incorrect place.

You are probably better off with a low power PC built router with pfsense + managed switch. Cheaper and a lot more powerful.

Another posibility is to not use the AiProtection engine and find out how to use iptables rules to control kids internet access.

This is my backup plan. I thought I'd give the ASUS a try but it's pretty unimpressive. My day job is writing software for telco routers. The problems we're seeing in the ASUS code are not acceptable. I sure hope ASUS is paying Merlin something because he's the only reason any enthusiast should be buying their home routers.

What's up guys? I picked up a new Asus 3100 tonight. I installed 382 on it, and got everything configured. I then put my thumb drive in w/ an ext4 partition and tried to run the entware script. It doesn't seem to be installing correctly. Is anyone else facing these issues? I wasn't really sure where to post this. It's my first post here. Forgive me if this is the incorrect place.

go here, it might help:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-the-snbforums-asuswrt-merlin-terminal-menu.42415/

I just uploaded test builds for the RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 which include the wireless components from GPL 382_18991 (it should in theory fix the KRACK issue, though Asus didn't mention it in their changelog for some reason).

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/test-builds

Please give these builds a test to validate that they don't break anything (so far the RT-AC88U build is working fine on my network).

Sort the files by date, and grab the latest ones (it's probably dated December 1st).

If all goes well, I'm hoping to have 382.1_2 out in the coming days.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!