What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't know why, but with 382.xx series my wireless speed/latency is terrible on the AC88U.
Now I'm running 382.1_2 with mu-mimo, implicit bf, and AF off and I cannot reach my full speed.
With 380.68_4 or 380.69 works just perfect.
c20dc9ccc603e8821f9bcf7721536aad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

I had the same speed issues on my ac3100. Worked fine for a bit but then I noticed speeds were terrible (I was running for a few days and am not sure when the speed issue first started). I flashed back to 380.69 and its great.

I had the same speed issues on my ac3100. Worked fine for a bit but then I noticed speeds were terrible (I was running for a few days and am not sure when the speed issue first started). I flashed back to 380.69 and its great.
Yes, in my case it lasted less than 10hs.. flashed it last night... working great and this morning issue was there.
The only workaround is rebooting device every time it appears.

I am fighting with the DNS filter, saved some devices in the list to use a custom dns and a global dns for all the rest and looks like is not working properly, the saved devices are always dropping the connection,

I had a really weird issue happen today and I have no idea why it happened.

It started when my 88u running 382.1_2 tried to renew it's IPv4 lease from my ISP. For reasons I still don't know, my ISP's DHCP server would not give out an IPv4 address (confirmed by bypassing router). It would only give out an IPv6 address. Apparently the router cannot work without an IPV4 address, (it won't even try to get an IPv6 address without an IPV4 one), so effectively nothing worked after I rebooted my router.

Some time later my ISP started giving out IP addresses again. At this point things seemed to be working, but I noticed that some of my local devices (primarily non-wifi) would not get IP addresses from the router. Basically local DHCP wasn't working for some devices. I tried rebooting the router, but nothing changed. I power cycled the router and that got DHCP working, but for some reason disabled the WiFi radios. I had to enable both the 2.4 and 5 ones to get Wifi working. After that IPv6 stopped working. I could get an IPv6 address on clients, but I couldn't reach servers. I turned IPV6 off and on and that seemed to get things working (probably an ISP thing).

Overall I spent close to 5 hours on this, with the last hour and a half trying to figure out why local DHCP wasn't working. Anyone know why DHCP would stop working until I did a hard reboot? What's different between a software reboot and powering off and on?

Last edited:
Code:
# cat /tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
server=9.9.9.9
server=208.67.222.222
However, if I delete those from WAN DNS Settings (Server1 and Server2) DNS is not working at all...

The same configuration was fine on my old AC66U. What am I missing?
As a workaround I now only configure 192.168.1.1 (my router's IP) in WAN DNS Server 1 (and none in DNS Server 2).

Then DNS leak test only returns the DNScrypt server, but I guess this is not the proper way to do this?

Yes, in my case it lasted less than 10hs.. flashed it last night... working great and this morning issue was there.
The only workaround is rebooting device every time it appears.

Just wanted to add, I'm having this issue as well.

I see this in Tools | Sysinfo | HW acceleration on my RT-AC86U:

Code:
Runner: Disabled  -  Flow Cache: Enabled
  • Where can I learn more about "Runner" and "Flow Cache"? (What do they mean?)
  • Why is "Runner" acceleration disabled?

I've seen this on my RT-AC3100, but after cycling the power on it my speed over a PIA VPN to a server in my own country was 50 Mbps, which is the maximum speed of my service. Until I cycled the power, the speed was consistently between 14 and 18 Mbps.

I've only been running the new firmware for a few days and either I didn't notice an issue right away, or it occured following a subsequent reboot.
Now that I've run 382.1 for a few more days, I seem to be experiencing a throughput slowdown within a few hours of either rebooting the router or reconnecting the VPN client.

Download speed drops from 50 Mbps (that's the maximum of my service) to about 18 Mbps (or a little less) in less than 24 hours, maybe even close to 12 hours.

Previously when running 380.68, I checked the traffic analyzer each morning and never saw the download speed through the VPN less than 45 Mbps. I had many weeks of observing this consistent behavior.

But in the short time since upgrading to 382.1, I've never seen my overnight downloads even close to 50 Mbps. If I reboot the router it's okay for a few hours but at some point it bogs down.

I'm going to try 380.69 for a few days to see if I get the behavior I experienced with 380.68.

As a workaround I now only configure 192.168.1.1 (my router's IP) in WAN DNS Server 1 (and none in DNS Server 2).

Then DNS leak test only returns the DNScrypt server, but I guess this is not the proper way to do this?
Thanks for this. I had reverted to 380.69 after finding 382.1_2 did not work right with DNScrypt. But with this workaround, it seems to function as intended.

Works for me.
Really? It seems like restore of jffs tries upload a setting file format. It shows me a message: "Setting File upload fail. It may result from incorrect Setting File or error transmission. Please check the validation of Setting File and try again." It's the same file I exported a few seconds before. Restore of settings works correctly.

Really? It seems like restore of jffs tries upload a setting file format. It shows me a message: "Setting File upload fail. It may result from incorrect Setting File or error transmission. Please check the validation of Setting File and try again." It's the same file I exported a few seconds before. Restore of settings works correctly.

Make sure you use the button meant for uploading the JFFS backup, not the settings file. I had no issue restoring a JFFS backup here.

Make sure you use the button meant for uploading the JFFS backup, not the settings file. I had no issue restoring a JFFS backup here.
Of course I use Upload button under the Save button in JFFS Partition section. I can export jffs backup file (looks like proper tar archive with extra .sys folder inside). I can extract it manually but not through web interface.
If I trace it in firefox, i can get to the jffsupload.cgi with this content:
Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>ASUS Wireless Router Web Manager</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/favicon.png">
<link rel="icon" href="images/favicon.png">
</head>
<body>
<script>
alert("Setting File upload fail. It may result from incorrect Setting File or error transmission. Please check the validation of Setting File and try again.");
</script>
</body>
</html>
Is that closed source part?

I'm seeing a pretty regular issue with the "Client Status" display and the "View List" display. Neither one is showing all the clients that are connected to the system. For example, I have an iPhone(5G) and an Amazon Fire tablet(5G), both which are active but neither shows in either list. It does show two Echo Dots(5G) and a HP printer(2.4G). Also, it's showing wifi devices, two smart plugs(2.4G) as being wired connections and some devices don't show anywhere.

I can get an accurate listing of what's connected using 3rd party network scanning software but I don't think I've ever had an accurate listing from the Asus/Merlin WebGUI. This can make troubleshooting connection issues rather difficult, not to mention the simple piece of mind that things are working as they should. I should also say that everything(all devices) seems to be working okay.

Is this behavior connected to the client list issues discussed previously(lack of space for characters, etc)? Is this a question that should be in the 86U review thread?

The router in question is a RT-AC86U.

Thanks

At the moment I am seeing 17 devices connected to the 86U and have renamed most of them to a friendly description within the menus you have noted. They all display fine and, afaik, all my devices are accounted for.

I am running the latest Alpha test build but it seemed to be like that previously.

I have about 28 devices, 7 of them being wireless. Maybe I have too many devices? I have been able to rename most of them but sometimes the name just doesn't take. I've used icons to be able to tell what's what. I wonder if manually assigning an IP address would help.

I'm aware that the 86U has a problem(lack of space) with the client list, I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is related to that.

When I noted "at the moment" IIRC I have seen 24 or so devices on that list and they too have been all appropriately named. Well actually there is one device that I do not recognise by its default IP address and so I'll have to find that one manually - just not bothered doing that yet.

As I mentioned IIRC I have always had a populated list which reflects my connected devices, even with the first release of Merlin for this tablet.
I simply flashed the newly bought 86U and did a reset and then build up from there.

But yeah I'm on the latest Alpha test build, and all is fine.

On the client list my 86U is only displaying a handful of the friendly names I have manually assigned, but all of the icons I have assigned are displaying. All of the friendly names display appropriately on the DHCP manual assignment page but only a handful display elsewhere on the 86U's browser GUI.

I think they displayed appropriately on Merlin's stable release, but I can not say for certain. I did do a factory reset after installing the stable release but not since installing the 382.2 alpha2.

Merlin, thanks again for your hard work!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!