What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I now have 23 devices, my TV and media boxes are powered up, on that list and they all display with friendly names.

Not sure why that is different for some.

I've got more than 50 devices here on my ac86u. Problem with friendly names starts with ~30 devices (it's a matter of the length of their names). DHCP reservation is almost fine (partially limited). It has been splitted into more nvram variables but (as RMerlin wrote earlier) friendly name cannot be served the same way due another services that use it. There is the same situation with 282.2.beta2.

I've got more than 50 devices here on my ac86u. Problem with friendly names starts with ~30 devices (it's a matter of the length of their names). DHCP reservation is almost fine (partially limited). It has been splitted into more nvram variables but (as RMerlin wrote earlier) friendly name cannot be served the same way due another services that use it. There is the same situation with 282.2.beta2.
Okay, so I should be able to enable friendly names on all of my devices as I have just under 30 at the current time. I'm beginning to think I didn't do a reset after installing 382.1_2, I thought I had but maybe not.

Of course I use Upload button under the Save button in JFFS Partition section. I can export jffs backup file (looks like proper tar archive with extra .sys folder inside). I can extract it manually but not through web interface.
If I trace it in firefox, i can get to the jffsupload.cgi with this content:
Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>ASUS Wireless Router Web Manager</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/favicon.png">
<link rel="icon" href="images/favicon.png">
</head>
<body>
<script>
alert("Setting File upload fail. It may result from incorrect Setting File or error transmission. Please check the validation of Setting File and try again.");
</script>
</body>
</html>
Is that closed source part?

No, the JFFS upload code is code that I wrote, and it worked fine here in my own test with the same router. Make sure it's not an add-on interfering with the upload, also don't rename the file, as I don't remember if I look for a specific filename to launch the process. Also make sure your router has sufficient free RAM for your backup to be uploaded and unpacked.

I can confirm this, as I also have around 50 odd devices as well and the “rot sets in” also at the 30-31 mark.

In my case it meant I aborted changing over my main router from my trusty AC68U for my new AC86U (both with Merlin of course as non-negotiable essential firmware).

The AC86U is sitting back in its box awaiting a bit more “maturity” in the 382 firmware, and a GPL release of same that @RMerlin can hopefully work his magic on if he so chooses (and I never assume he will, but hope he does).

Bit disappointing really, 86U has good potential seemingly let down a bit at this point ...

StephenH

Last edited:
My 86U, only just recently bought and flashed with this new release, reset and then configured.....

E6rhw1B.png

I thought that the RAM usage was high, but not sure if that is used or simply "allocated" for some reason and so typical, being new to this router I'm not sure what it would show if using the std firmware...?

mine is the same. New RT-AC86U and flashed straight to Merlin. My ram figures the same.

Is there a reason why the Network Map is showing some wireless clients as wired? They are correctly showing as wireless on the wireless log page.

Is there a reason why the Network Map is showing some wireless clients as wired? They are correctly showing as wireless on the wireless log page.
Are they connected to a wired AP? That is how my wireless clients show up when connected to an AP.
Edit: They show as wireless on the AP, but as wired on the router.

Are they connected to a wired AP? That is how my wireless clients show up when connected to an AP.
Edit: They show as wireless on the AP, but as wired on the router.

Nope he device I added yesterday is solely 5.4 Wifi.

We all seem to agree, with what we see.

I don't think of it as a problem but just as how memory is allocated. It varies, but utilises what is available. Better than not being used at all I suppose.

I'm not suggesting that I'm knowledgeable about these things but as much of the allocation, 132MB in my case as I type this, is for cache and thus can be freed up if needed elsewhere.

Might be a simplistic way of looking at it but it seems reasonable, and perhaps accurate..!

I see the very same thing, some wireless clients show as wired clients. This is with an 86U running 382.1_2

I can confirm this, as I also have around 50 odd devices as well and the “rot sets in” also at the 30-31 mark.

In my case it meant I aborted changing over my main router from my trusty AC68U for my new AC86U (both with Merlin of course as non-negotiable essential firmware).

The AC86U is sitting back in its box awaiting a bit more “maturity” in the 382 firmware, and a GPL release of same that @RMerlin can hopefully work his magic on if he so chooses (and I never assume he will, but hope he does).

Bit disappointing really, 86U has good potential seemingly let down a bit at this point ...

StephenH
Yes, returning the 86U has been on my mind for a few weeks now. Maybe it is just a bit too "immature" for reliable daily use just yet.

Last edited:
I have an RT-AC86U running this firmware connecting to a CenturyLink (Calix) ONT. PPPOE performance is pretty poor WAN-LAN at 420 Mbps versus my 1 Gbps fiber speed. Anyone else seeing bad PPPOE performance?

I have an RT-AC86U running this firmware connecting to a CenturyLink (Calix) ONT. PPPOE performance is pretty poor WAN-LAN at 420 Mbps versus my 1 Gbps fiber speed. Anyone else seeing bad PPPOE performance?

Here some stuff: Here that may help.

Thanks. When I go back to the 382 tree I will do this!
What did you do to fix this. I am facing same issue on AC88U, firmware 382.1.2.
Running modprobe cifs.ko gives error "modprobe: module cifs.ko not found in modules.dep"

What did you do to fix this. I am facing same issue on AC88U, firmware 382.1.2.
Running modprobe cifs.ko gives error "modprobe: module cifs.ko not found in modules.dep"

The module is currently missing for the RT-AC88U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!