What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I did a clean install of the final build as I do with every update.
Set up WiFi the way I wanted and rebooted after that.......

Just to clarify the terminology, and perhaps help you solve your problem, could you spell out exactly what you mean by “clean install”? Step by step, what do you do?

I have upgraded successfully my RT-AC56U from 380.69_2 to 384.3. I made a factory reset and reentered all settings manually again. Everything seems to work. :) Thank you RMerlin for your hard work.

I noticed that RAM usage is higher after the upgrade. 119 Mbyte instead of 70 Mbyte as before. In addition, the CPU usage is quite high after a reboot, but drops back to the normal, low level after one minute. Is that normal behavior?

I have an issue with a RT-AC68U. Updating from RT-AC68U_380.69_2 to RT-AC68U_384.3_0 results in a blank right side of the network map. The system status is blank. Clicking on the client icon is not showing up anything. Router is running o.k. as far as I can see. I didn't make a factory reset yet.

Any advice?

regards,
stefan

Attachments

• rt-ac68u20180216.png
    rt-ac68u20180216.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 781
I have an issue with a RT-AC68U. Updating from RT-AC68U_380.69_2 to RT-AC68U_384.3_0 results in a blank right side of the network map. The system status is blank. Clicking on the client icon is not showing up anything. Router is running o.k. as far as I can see. I didn't make a factory reset yet.

Any advice?

regards,
stefan

This sounds like you may need to clear your browser history cache as some of the HTML code has changed between builds. If you don't want to clear out all the saved cache you could try using CTRL+F5 to force a refresh of the page and cache.

Flashed the final 384.3 Build to my RT-AC66U B1. Thanks RMerlin!

I have upgraded successfully my RT-AC56U from 380.69_2 to 384.3. I made a factory reset and reentered all settings manually again. Everything seems to work. :) Thank you RMerlin for your hard work.

I noticed that RAM usage is higher after the upgrade. 119 Mbyte instead of 70 Mbyte as before. In addition, the CPU usage is quite high after a reboot, but drops back to the normal, low level after one minute. Is that normal behavior?

Yes. New Trend Micro engine uses more memory due to the new advanced features, and the signature files are also larger now and take longer to process at start time.

Asus Ac3200
There is a repeat of a previous issue
Ethernet Ports what's connected is listed wrong on the Network Map Screen
Lan 1 is listed an unplugged but it's showing as connected to Lan 4
My Lan 4 has no device connected at the moment

The wrong order of ports are listed as to what's actually connected
What's connected to the following ports is wrong way round
Lan 4 should be Lan 1
Lan 3 should be Lan 2
Lan 2 should be Lan 3
Lan 1 should be Lan 4

I agree. The clean efficient build is the way to go. Thanks for getting 384 going so quickly Merlin!/
I disagree. Aimesh is helpful if you have a big property and needs the wireless to extend to those weak areas. For those who doesn't need it, you can turn it off. The 384's and future branches will have Aimesh wireless drivers enabled builtin so it seems is ASUS direction, I believe Merlin just disabled Aimesh appearance in the GUI and can enable it if he thinks he can support its complexities as he doesn't have control of the close source.:)

Last edited:
Once you launch the ASUS app and connect to your router, it will automatically enable remote access and DDNS. I've noticed this on official ASUS releases as well as Merlin. It is a function built into the app. Also, turning it off in the app does not turn it off on the router - you must login and turn it off again in the GUI. If you remove and re-install the app, or clear the app data on your mobile, it will do it again. I have flashed firmware 50+ times and have noticed this EVERY time I reconnect to the router to manage it.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I noticed another strange behaviour which I haven't had on 380.68 is that I can add my ssh keys in WebUI but they are not persistent. Is that by intention or do I have to store them in jffs?

RT-AC68U. MiniDLNA streaming is still broke with 384.3_0. MiniDLNA streaming broke with the introduction of 384.3_alpha3.
Thanks for the information.

I have transferred video files onto flash drives connected to my router and watch them often using my television (via MiniDLNA). So, if this feature won't work maybe I'll skip upgrading for now...

Loaded 384.3 this morning and seems to be working for me.

One thing I notice is that on the Wireless-General-2.4GHz Setup, Wireless mode.
I have Wireless Mode set to N only.
The b/g Protection is checked and I cannot uncheck it.

Before the update I had it unchecked.
RT-AC1900P

I disagree. Aimesh is helpful if you have a big property and needs the wireless to extend to those weak areas.

Same result can be achieved using AP/Repeater mode. AiMesh's main benefit is in centralized management. It's the communication process between those nodes that is problematic for me.

Thanks for the information.

I have transferred video files onto flash drives connected to my router and watch them often using my television (via MiniDLNA). So, if this feature won't work maybe I'll skip upgrading for now...

I've also had other people reporting that for them, DLNA streaming was working fine.

Try enabling EMF support on the LAN -> IPTV page, it might help.

One thing I notice is that on the Wireless-General-2.4GHz Setup, Wireless mode.
I have Wireless Mode set to N only.
The b/g Protection is checked and I cannot uncheck it.

If your router is in N-only mode, then there's no b/g clients to protect. That's why you can't toggle it. The setting simply won't do anything, just ignore it.

Here's something for those of you doing lots of scripting on your router. Create /jffs/configs/nanorc with the following content:

Code:
syntax "sh" "\.sh$"
header "^#!.*((ba|da|k|pdk)?sh[-0-9_]*|openrc-run|runscript)"
magic "(POSIX|Bourne-Again) shell script.*text"
linter dash -n
comment "#"

icolor brightgreen "^[0-9A-Z_]+\(\)"
color green "\<(break|case|continue|do|done|elif|else|esac|exit|fi|for|function|if|in|read|return|select|shift|then|time|until|while)\>"
color green "\<(declare|eval|exec|export|let|local)\>"
color green "[{}():;|`$<>!=&\\]" "(\]|\[)"
color green "-[Ldefgruwx]\>"
color green "-(eq|ne|gt|lt|ge|le|s|n|z)\>"
color brightblue "\<(awk|cat|cd|ch(grp|mod|own)|cp|echo|env|grep|install|ln|make|mkdir|mv|popd|printf|pushd|rm|rmdir|sed|set|tar|touch|umask|unset)\>"

# Basic variable names (no braces).
color brightred "\$[-0-9@*#?$!]" "\$[[:alpha:]_][[:alnum:]_]*"
# More complicated variable names; handles braces and replacements and arrays.
color brightred "\$\{[#!]?([-@*#?$!]|[0-9]+|[[:alpha:]_][[:alnum:]_]*)(\[([[:space:]]*[[:alnum:]_]+[[:space:]]*|@)\])?(([#%/]|:?[-=?+])[^}]*\}|\[|\})"

# Comments.
color cyan "(^|[[:space:]])#.*$"

# Strings.
color brightyellow ""(\\.|[^"])*"" "'(\\.|[^'])*'"

# Trailing whitespace.
color ,green "[[:space:]]+$"

(Yay, Cloudflare didn't choke on it!)

Now try editing any file with a .sh extension (or if it doesn't have that extension, force it with the --syntax command line switch. For example:

Code:
nano -w /jffs/scripts/nat-start --syntax=sh

Enjoy. Your eyes might thank you after a while.

Another useful config entry to put in nanorc, at the top:

Code:
set nowrap

Thank you @RMerlin for tip. Please, do we need to restart before using it? All the best. I appreciate too your continuous hard work.

Thank you @RMerlin for tip. Please, do we need to restart before using it? All the best. I appreciate too your continuous hard work.

You just need to restart nano itself.

Some funny behavior after having problems the other day on 389.60 and then restoring and flashing forward first to beta_3 and then to .0.

Freely admit some of this could be from the problem I had before and not a "full reset", but just throwing these out there...
  • problems with creating the nvram-save cron job. this is exact same "cru a" line in scripts/services.start that it always was, but now no job seems to appear. nvram-save runs perfect from a console. cru a command works great from a console. weird.
  • some weirdness with wifi adapter settings. my channel selections and some other 'option' settings seem like they got lost / defaulted.
  • some weirdness with dnsmasq part 1. in the 'network map', all clients are showing up as 'static' or 'manual' (none show 'dhcp'). actual static-manual clients (i.e. IP hard-set on the client side) are showing 'manual' (correct) but any dhcp clients are displayed as 'static' regardless of whether they have an actual pre-assigned address or are not defined at all on the router.
  • some weirdness with dnsmasq part 2. one client with a 'static' IP address setup in dnsmasq.conf (via configs/dnsmasq.conf.add) does not get that address assigned, but instead gets a fresh pool address everytime. have reset the client several times, no luck, always gets a new pool address instead of the one its supposed to. MAC address in dnsmasq is correct. have tried using the ASUS GUI method to set it also, that doesn't work either. that device just always gets a new pool address.
  • EDIT... aaah... GUI dhcp screen says "no active leases" at all. never clicked over there. hmmm. yeah definitely something is wrong, although addresses ARE getting handed out...
Just leaving these here for now in case they sound familiar to anybody. In addition to having had some perhaps nvram corruption weirdness, i hadn't upgraded nor paid much admin attention for quite a few months before that, so very well some of these issues might have cropped up a long time ago and I didn't notice them.

Going to do a full reset now and then restore nvram, as I said, no answers/action required but dropping the info just in case it sounds familiar to anyone else.

Emily says "never mind". All (almost all) my problem. Seems some text editor I used quickly some time ago (apparently... I can only deduce...) had - without asking - put CR/LF into services-start and other scripts that seemingly caused most of my probs as scripts didn't run. Still checking and maybe still problems with the one remaining dhcp static assignment... but hoping if I can cleanse out the CR's that will be sorted out also...

Last edited:
You just need to restart nano itself.
I am on GNU nano 2.8.6, FW, 380.69_2 AC88U. I tried even restart after creating /jffs/configs/nanorc with the code you shared.
Please, do I missed something? Because when I hit
nano -w /jffs/scripts/nat-start --syntax=sh the text is without any colored letters
Please advice what should I do next. I mention that I have entware-NG installed but without nano in entware-NG.
Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2018-02-17 00-51-36.png
    Screenshot at 2018-02-17 00-51-36.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 684
Upgraded from 382.1_2 to 384.3 on my AC-88U. I didn’t factory reset. No noticeable issues after about 10 minutes of usage. Speed tests and pings are the same. Looks good so far.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!