What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an AC66U_B1 router and I upgraded the firmware to the current Asus firmware this morning. I have been trying to use the built in Asus tools for an OpenVPN project I'm working on. It was not going well, so I finally decided to flash this to Merlin.
I had previously done it on another router identical to this, probably around 384.2.
Now all I get is the whole
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

error, and the firmware rev never changes.
Has Asus locked itself down against this firmware?
Known issue. Flash back to an earlier Asus and try Merlin again. Think I went back to 384-20287 and Merlin worked.
Edit: Looks like Asus took the older versions off of the US site. Sure hope you kept prior versions....

Just set up AB solutions adblocking and must say this was so easy to do. Longest part was actually partitioning the usb lol.
All done from my mobile phone using juiceSSH app.
I'm loving this merlin firmware more and more [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Known issue. Flash back to an earlier Asus and try Merlin again. Think I went back to 384-20287 and Merlin worked.
Edit: Looks like Asus took the older versions off of the US site. Sure hope you kept prior versions....
Know where I can get older Asus downloads? They only have the current and one previous version on the website. Neither lets me install merlin

edit - I linked the wrong files, sorry! :(
I need more coffee first.

Last edited:
Thanks so much.
One more hopefully not too dumb question. The GPL files you linked to are much bigger than the current standard firmware files.
Do these need to be loaded in differently than a firmware file?

Thanks so much.
One more hopefully not too dumb question. The GPL files you linked to are much bigger than the current standard firmware files.
Do these need to be loaded in differently than a firmware file?
Those are source code files, not firmware.

It appears the website only has the latest firmware listed.

forget them, you need a .trx file to upload, that published GPL you cant use or compile them first (for whom knows how to do so, I am far away from this league)!

but at least you still can get last 4 versions (copy/paste to browser will download):
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U_B1/FW_RT_AC66U_B1_300438420648.ZIP
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U_B1/FW_RT_AC66U_B1_300438420624.ZIP
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U_B1/FW_RT_AC66U_B1_300438420308.ZIP
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U_B1/FW_RT_AC66U_B1_300438420287.ZIP

Last edited:
Updated my AC68P from 380.70_0 to 384.4_2.
FYI: Everything works great except, as some others have noted, the MiniDLNA web page no longer works using: http://router.asus.com:8200/
I didn't see anywhere this is addressed so I've posted the error.

upload_2018-4-18_16-57-41.png

I see some people are saying that under this version they are having the internet just disappear for no reason after like a week. Can anyone who is using an RT-AC5300 say if they are experiencing this problem?

Thanks, AsusRouterUser

Thanks!
I just noticed something different in the 2.4 wireless config. Can't remove the check mark from the "b/g Protection" box when selecting N only. Is this intentional for some reason?
View attachment 12748

2.4ghz can operate under b, g, or n wireless standards.

Auto = b, g, + n
Legacy = b + g
N Only = n

If you are operating as "N Only", then you do not need b/g protection as you are not using those standards.

I use "N Only" as I do not have any legacy wireless devices on my network.

Auto = b, g, + n
Legacy = b + g
N Only = n

If you are operating as "N Only", then you do not need b/g protection as you are not using those standards.

Understood. That's why I'd like to uncheck the box which I was able to do with my old 380.70 firmware. Also, the "?" description notes that checking the box increases overhead.

Understood. That's why I'd like to uncheck the box which I was able to do with my old 380.70 firmware. Also, the "?" description notes that checking the box increases overhead.

Gotcha!

I am assuming the router automatically figures out that the protection is unnecessary and ignores the checkbox entirely.

Here are my nvram values that change with the checkbox.

wl0_gmode_protection=off (If using legacy with the checkbox unchecked).
wl0_gmode_protection=auto (If using legacy with the checkbox checked).
wl0_gmode_protection=auto (If using N only, with the checkbox greyed out and checked).

Auto, probably figures out that protection is unnecessary.

Gotcha!

I am assuming the router automatically figures out that the protection is unnecessary and ignores the checkbox entirely.

Here are my nvram values that change with the checkbox.

wl0_gmode_protection=off (If using legacy with the checkbox unchecked).
wl0_gmode_protection=auto (If using legacy with the checkbox checked).
wl0_gmode_protection=auto (If using N only, with the checkbox greyed out and checked).

Auto, probably figures out that protection is unnecessary.
Interesting, it seems odd that if you select "Legacy" you can uncheck the box but as soon as you select "N only" the check mark reappears as a grayed out. I think you are suggesting that the system can determine the need for "B/G Protection" on the fly so to speak. Seems logical. In any case it's different than my older firmware.

Last edited:
I see some people are saying that under this version they are having the internet just disappear for no reason after like a week. Can anyone who is using an RT-AC5300 say if they are experiencing this problem?

Thanks, AsusRouterUser

No problems here, but.. When I flashed the first time around I did not properly followed instructions and had all sorts of problems...
Here is my non-technical trick that made it work solid. Flash, wait until it comes up, then physically switch it off and start again. Did that and all working great.
I have an occasional PIA VPN drop out once a 3 to 4 weeks, but same was in the earlier versions... I really enjoying this build. Looking forward to mesh and IFTTT (even RMerlin says it's not secure) to work in future builds.

Looking forward to mesh and IFTTT (even RMerlin says it's not secure) to work in future builds.

Don't hold your breath for Mesh as Marlin indicated already a number of time that this is not on the priority list. If you want to use AIMesh you probably have to switch to ASUS stock firmware.

Auto = b, g, + n
Legacy = b + g
N Only = n

But what would be usefull is: n+g

Nobody will or can really use "b" devices (nintendo stopped services and b mostly support only WEP or "newer" ones maybe even WPA-TKIP but no WPA2).
But there maybe some older devices which support "g" only and WPA2.

And protection is because b uses different 22MHz DSSS modulation compared to g/n with 20MHz OFDM.

Thats why I ask for n+g-mode and no b/g protection as there is no b and g/n no need for any protection.

But this is not supported, only in combination with b and b/g-protection nobody needs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!