What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adaptive QoS fq_codel is giving me massive upload spikes even back to 380.69.2 on my RT-AC5300.

Continues on this firmware release as well - even with and without FreshJR's script on both as a variable.

I'm not sure what's causing the instability on the upload side of things. Download is perfectly handled. Upload is all over the place.

I set my packet overhead to the correct perset of 18 being that I'm on a cable Docsis 3.0 network with a Docsis 3.1 modem.

SFQ works fine in that I can dial in the optimal numbers manual bandwidth, and it doesn't suffer from spikes. Fq_codel does though unfortunately.

Hi,

Is it normal that after the installation of Firmware 384.4, the administration of the Router is impossible in HTTPS?
I have erase NVRAM values - Nothing Change.
Revert back to 384.3 - HTTPS work well.

I have an asus RT-AC68U

RTAC86U working in perfect conditions and stable, thanks again man :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Congrats. I wonder why your 86U is so different from mine. No luck here so far.
Hi,

Is it normal that after the installation of Firmware 384.4, the administration of the Router is impossible in HTTPS?

I have an asus RT-AC68U
Somewhat similar issues with the AC86U, though not with HTTPS, but with the web GUI in general. Particularly with trying to "Apply" changes. Nothing happens when clicking a UI button. Tried resetting browser, trying different browsers (Edge, IE, Chrome). May not be the case on all screens as I haven't tried many. But on the Wireless config screens it is a problem for me. Since 2.4 Wireless isn't working thats where I've focused my effort.

Thanks @RMerlin. I think I'll report it to ASUS and pretend I'm running stock firmware then! :)
May have even been fixed already in a later official build?

StephenH

EDIT:- Have sent off bug report to ASUS ...

Asus has already fixed it.

That doesn't address the issue. As I stated - The README instructions need to be changed from saying "do a factory reset" to "do a factory restore" or "do a factory initialize", whichever is deemed required. There is no "Factory Reset" button in the UI so it is not clear to punters which is required. The wording needs to match what is on the UI.

A factory reset is an operation, which can be done by a number of methods, including but not limited to the use of these two webui buttons. I'm not going to overload the README by stating every single methods possible, and then repeat them in every language because the buttons carry a different name for every language... That kind of details belong to the Wiki, which is the official documentation.

Works for me, I do all my tests over https (since my laptop sits on the WAN side of the router). Re-check your configuration, including ports and certificates.

I am waiting to 20467 merge for ac86u :S
Will it be delayed until end of 380.70 ?

There isn't much differences between 20379 and 20467, so I should be able to merge it earlier, however I need to ensure it's compatible with the binary blobs for all the other models that haven't been updated to 20467. So far I only have 20467 GPL for the RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U.

Yes, right. And the guy who gave me that to tip have the same MAC address too

I checked all three of my routers and they all had different mac numbers. Although the mac is being shared among multiple interfaces which seems strange. Usually the mac is set by the manufacturer of the physical interface. I have already downgraded back to 380.69 though. I'll try upgrading my router again and see if that changes the mac addresses.

Same here, unfortunately it's closed source as nothing to do with Merlin, Asus QoS is totally screwed. I bought RT-AC86U last week and after not trying QoS for about 2 years thought i'd give it another go, wow think it's worse now than back then.

If using VPN download/upload bandwidth meters are wrong way around, as you describe on the QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor page settings are lost on reboot meaning having to reapply after every reboot. Same with category priority, after reboot settings are lost so again have to reapply after every reboot. QoS Statistics well is just so wrong it's unreal.

But again nothing Merlin can do about this has to be reported to Asus, go back a few pages and he told me what you got to do and truth is i cannot be bothered, seems like asus make it hard to report and esculate bugs from users.

Maybe it is time to file a FTC (Federal Trade Commission) complaint against ASUS over this specific issue as the device is not operating to product description which can be defined as fraud. This has been a problem for years. Just saying.

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available for all supported models. The focus of this release was porting the last remaining models to the 384/NG code branch, and updating to the latest GPL available, bringing us back in sync with Asus's latest release.

The highlights of this release:

• Merged with GPL 384_20379 (with some binary components from 382_50010 and 384_20308 depending on models)
  • Added support for the RT-AC5300 and RT-AC87U, completing the task of migrating models to the new 384/NG code branch. As a reminder, the RT-N66U and the original RT-AC66U will NOT be migrated to the 384 code base, and support for these two is going to be dropped.
  • Added IPSEC server support to the RT-AC86U.
  • Moved Entware to the new 3x-NG merged repository, and added 64bit Entware support to the RT-AC86U (user-configurable when running entware-setup)
  • Changed Samba protocol support, now defaults to SMBv1 + SMBv2 support. This means SMB sharing will be a bit slower than with SMBv1, but more secure. The protocol settings now allow you to chose between SMBv1 (faster but not secure), SMBv2 (secure but not compatible with everything) and SMBv1 + SMBv2 (the new default, matches the behaviour of the old SMBv2 setting in previous releases). I personally recommend switching to SMBv2, unless you have embedded devices which do not support SMBv2 yet.
  • The telnet server support has been removed, for security purposes. Please use SSH instead.
  • Merlin NAT loopback was removed, as it was becoming increasingly problematic with the constant low-level changes to the firewall
  • A few other fixes, please read the changelog for details

As a reminder, if you are migrating to a 384 firmware for the first time:

• Clear your browser cache or do a forced reload the first time you access the router under 384 (to refresh your cached CSS files)
  • If coming from 380.xx, it's strongly recommended to do a factory default after flashing 384, and manually reconfiguring. Things might work correctly if you don't, but you might have to double check some of your previous settings, for instance OpenVPN's.

Also note that AiMesh is NOT supported, and there are currently no new information as to whether it will eventually be supported or not.

The focus will now be on issuing one final 380.70 release to bring closure to the 380 branch. This release should be fairly minor, bringing mostly a few bug fixes.

Please keep discussions in this thread to this specific release.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
The only 2 bugs I've found is that it doesn't work with ProtonVPN DSN 10.8.8.1 or 10.8.0.1. It locks up my router. And AiCloud Smart Sync, I have to turn it off and back on to get it to remember the password after I reboot the router. It keeps everything synced up after that.

I forget the exact time that traditional QOS stopped working, but it did work back when I first got the RT-AC3200 and, throughout firmware updates, it continued to function as expected until I had to do a factory reset. From that point forward, it has remained broken. :(

Thanks @RMerlin. I think I'll report it to ASUS and pretend I'm running stock firmware then! :)
May have even been fixed already in a later official build?

StephenH

EDIT:- Have sent off bug report to ASUS ...
I wonder if a temp work around can be a startup script (and a possible service restart).

Hi,

I have an asus RT-AC68U

I have a RT-AC68U. HTTPS admin works fine on 384.4
My Authentication method is setting only to HTTPS at 8443
router.jpg

The only 2 bugs I've found is that it doesn't work with ProtonVPN DSN 10.8.8.1 or 10.8.0.1. It locks up my router. And AiCloud Smart Sync, I have to turn it off and back on to get it to remember the password after I reboot the router. It keeps everything synced up after that.
Yeah I just flashed Asus FW on my AC68U and I see that the ProtonVPNs DNS will not work with its FW. So I'll have to wait for Asus to get back to me about my problem.

Something odd happened today, nearly 6 days after updating from 383.3 to 384.4 on my 88u. I ran a speed test on my iPad Air 2 running iOS 11.2.6 and was only getting 150 Mbps down. My speeds are using around 300 Mbps down. The last test I ran on my iPad was on March 19, 3 days after updating and it was normal.

I ran the same test on my iPhone 7s and got the normal download speeds. I switched from 5 ghz to 2.4 ghz and back and still wouldn’t get more than about 160 Mbps on my iPad. The router reported the Wi-Fi connection at 866 Mbps.

Finally I restarted the iPad and it was back up to 297 Mbps down. I had restarted my iPhone earlier in the day.

I’ve never seen that happen before and the only thing that changed was the router firmware. I have no idea why the Wi-Fi speeds would be limited to around 150 Mbps all the sudden.

Anyone see anything similar?

Asus has already fixed it.

Thnaks @RMerlin, is the QoS Priorities Order Save fix in the 384.20467 GPL that was released (for 86U) or did it come later?
Just wondering if there is a chance it might make it into your 384.5 release?

StephenH

Hi,

I have an asus RT-AC68U

HTTPS working fine for me on 384.4 with both an AC68U and my main AC86U, default port of 8443 with "BOTH" enabled.

StephenH

Thnaks @RMerlin, is the QoS Priorities Order Save fix in the 384.20467 GPL that was released (for 86U) or did it come later?

I'm not sure, I only remember someone was told by tech support that it had been fixed already.

Sorry if this has been reported previously. OpenVPN Server Tab - If I click on the Local network only or Internet and local network only radio button, the Custom button disappears.

upload_2018-3-23_10-49-8.png

upload_2018-3-23_10-50-7.png

Last edited:
Hi,

I have an asus RT-AC68U

I also have an RT-AC68U that I run as transparent AP. I connect to the WebUI only with HTTPS on port 8443. What changed for me from .3 to .4 is that I no longer, no way can connect to WebUI with Firefox 59.x as I reported in https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...4-4-is-now-available.45406/page-2#post-389741
I have after reporting done full factory reset and manual reconfiguration and full power cycling to ensure that no old settings are the culprit. No difference with Firefox 59.x. That one doesn't work.

However. I can connect just fine to WebUI with Chromium and Google Chrome. So what you should do is try another browser. (And remember to clear the browsers cached content with F5 or Shift+F5, depending on the browser.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!