What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
this devices have NVRAM, NV=non volatile, that means they wont forget, not in 1 second nor in 1 year, so it really makes no sense to turn of 30s or similar precedures 30-30-30 or whatever is wroten anywhere.

let it turned on an press reset button or turn off (as long as you're comftable) and hold WPS while turning on.
It can be a difference how long you press one or the other button, but not how long to turn it off!
I'm aware of nvram, power cycling electronics can help, I Ahve my router set to a reboot cycle of once a day at 4am to prevent issue, that I used to have with the unit. Mainly upnp leases not clearing correctly and a few other prefomance related problems.
Also you forgot they have standard dram if they can't forget then please explain why cutting the power to the unit causes the time to be lost and a re sync is required.
Factory reset is a last resort, 9/10 times power cycles of even up to 30 minutes can help with such issues.

ok, but when resetting a router should not be connected to even anywhere but power!
Only to the PC by WiFi or a single direct LAN.

DRAM is cleard or rewritten on each power up, they wont remember anything!

"If coming from 380.xx, it's strongly recommended to do a factory default after flashing 384, and manually reconfiguring."
My question on that is how do you reset to factory defaults?
AND he clearly asked for factory reset, not how to reboot ...

Last edited:
I see that KRACK is officially patched in the official ASUS firmware for the RT-AC5300, is it also patched in this version of Merlin firmware?

Thanks, AsusRouterUser

I see that KRACK is officially patched in the official ASUS firmware for the RT-AC5300, is it also patched in this version of Merlin firmware?
Which Asus GPL version are you talking about? Compare Merlin's change-log with the Asus version and you have the answer... :rolleyes:

Hi

Quite new to asuswrt etc but have a rt68u running 3.0.0.4.384_20648-g21e3702 which I think is the latest asus firmware.
I have Nord configs and I don't mind having to re-install these if factory reset is needed.
I have downloaded RT-AC68U_380.70_0.zip from Asuswrt_Merlin souceforge so do I just upload this as I would any other firmware ?

I have on occasions rolled back from latest asus firmwares to older ones by downloading the zip etc so I know this process if that's all that is needed ?
I have a few of questions that I'm concerned of after reading this thread and would appreciate advice if possible ...

1. Simple upload the zip to install merlin ?
2. Openvpn configs working ok on this firmware ?
3. Can I roll back to official asuswrt firmware at any point later if desired ?
4. Benefits of merlin over official asus ?

Kindest regards

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

you have to unzip it first (I do so never tried zip) and load trx-file
yes 380.70 is very stable
everytime, just load what you want to
some more updates and special features

factory reset or even better initialize (clear nvram) between major releases 384>380 is allways best way to avoid problems.

I have downloaded RT-AC68U_380.70_0.zip from Asuswrt_Merlin souceforge so do I just upload this as I would any other firmware ?
But remember that 380.70 is a a dead end: no further updates will come here. Only 384.x will be maintained in the future... :rolleyes:

Yes understood [emoji106] I can upgrade once I get to grips with merlin.

Thanks, I think I will do this tomorrow and join the merlin firmware [emoji106]

Regards to both [emoji106]

Well I'm kind of impressed [emoji109] absolutely love how I can redirect my VPN to individual IP and kill connection if VPN goes off.

Only a couple of things bugging me as of now,

1. VPN connection is cut on reboot and not reconnected automatically when booted back up.

Edit: I think enabling start with wan fixes this yes ?

2. If I enable client 1 then later decided to switch to client 2, it does not kill client 1 and both are still active !!

Are the above 2 scenarios as expected or can I change some settings ?

Regards

Last edited:
Well I'm kind of impressed [emoji109] absolutely love how I can redirect my VPN to individual IP and kill connection if VPN goes off.

Only a couple of things bugging me as of now,

1. VPN connection is cut on reboot and not reconnected automatically when booted back up.

Edit: I think enabling start with wan fixes this yes ?

2. If I enable client 1 then later decided to switch to client 2, it does not kill client 1 and both are still active !!

Are the above 2 scenarios as expected or can I change some settings ?

Regards

If you want the VPN to connect at boot up then you need to enable start with wan.
You do need to kill each client upon starting a new one if you only want a single instance running at any one time, I run 3 concurrent connections and they all run ok except for slower speeds due to all being the same provider running on the same port, I just have to reboot every few days.

If you want the VPN to connect at boot up then you need to enable start with wan.
You do need to kill each client upon starting a new one if you only want a single instance running at any one time, I run 3 concurrent connections and they all run ok except for slower speeds due to all being the same provider running on the same port, I just have to reboot every few days.
Thanks. I swap servers often but only actually connect to one server.

I have an 88U connected to a Virgin Media superdud 2ac CIA an Ethernet cable. The superdud is set to MODEM mode.

Randomly after hours or days, I will loose Internet. No alerts, or errors logged on either the 88U or superdud. All lights indicate all functional. Internal network is fine, just no external.

Never happened before I updated to 384.4.2

Encountered the same outbound connection issue as you with 384.4_2. Finally I reverted to 384.3 3 days ago and problem fully resolved.

I initialized Jffs as part of downgrading procedure. I also have other APs which were previously on 384.4_2 and now they are on 380.70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I want to update my AC-3100 to the newest 384_4 as I have been having some stability issues lately. I'm wondering what the best practice is for conducting the upgrade. I don't want to lose all of my configuration options and assigned IP addresses etc.

Is it recommended to create a backup of the router settings, flash new firmware to router, factory reset the device, then restore from the backup? Or must I manually reconfigure everything after the firmware update?

I want to update my AC-3100 to the newest 384_4 as I have been having some stability issues lately. I'm wondering what the best practice is for conducting the upgrade. I don't want to lose all of my configuration options and assigned IP addresses etc.

Is it recommended to create a backup of the router settings, flash new firmware to router, factory reset the device, then restore from the backup? Or must I manually reconfigure everything after the firmware update?
If you restore backup you play back all incompatibilities, as good as not to reset at all.
You can try, with luck it will work without issues, better config by hand again after reset!

Seems many asus routers are listed in Akamai's report on UPnP weakness/exploits.

That report is bogus. Asuswrt and Asuswrt-merlin have never exposed UPnP to the WAN. Only a LAN client can forward a port through UPnP.

If you restore backup you play back all incompatibilities, as good as not to reset at all.
You can try, with luck it will work without issues, better config by hand again after reset!
Ahh... Was afraid of that. Ok. I'll resign myself to a complete rebuild. Maybe that will fix my issues.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have an AC66U_B1 router and I upgraded the firmware to the current Asus firmware this morning. I have been trying to use the built in Asus tools for an OpenVPN project I'm working on. It was not going well, so I finally decided to flash this to Merlin.
I had previously done it on another router identical to this, probably around 384.2.
Now all I get is the whole
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

error, and the firmware rev never changes.
Has Asus locked itself down against this firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!