What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok...great and thanks for the answer.
So I guess I should choose LAN only for my needs or??

But won't that kill my Internet then??

Sorry...a bit thick here

Ok...great and thanks for the answer.
So I guess I should choose LAN only for my needs or??

But won't that kill my Internet then??

Sorry...a bit thick here

Yes that will kill your internet. If you want Netflix to work also, then I think you should choose both (both lan access and internet access)...

Last edited:
Rebooted my AC88U prior.
Started the upgrade from BETA 384.4_2 to 384.5.
Said succesful and requested a manual restart.

Doesn't work. Should I try something else?

Thanks

Rebooted my AC88U prior.
Started the upgrade from BETA 384.4_2 to 384.5.
Said succesful and requested a manual restart.

Doesn't work. Should I try something else?

Thanks

Try to remove any usb attachment, and remove the powercord and all other cables to for some minutes, and then see if it will start again. And give it some time. When you stare at it, a minute or two can seem like forever, and sometimes it take a while to boot up with the recent fw.

Last edited:
Thanks jass

Will try that and check the effect in the server config.ovpn.
Otherwise I will switch to the options in the ccd files which is actually also okay.

And Thanks Merlin....great work

/Stig

Try to remove any usb attachment, and remove the powercord and all other cables to for some minutes, and then see if it will start again. And give it some time. When you stare at it, a minute or two can seem like forever, and sometimes it take a while to boot up with the recent fw.

I was finally able to update to 384.5 Beta 2 but not 385.5.

Yes that will kill your internet. If you want Netflix to work also, then I think you should choose both (both lan access and internet access)...

Just updated to latest firmware and it went well...as usual.

Tried the 3 options

Under 'Client will use VPN to access'

Both:
push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 vpn_gateway 500"
push "redirect-gateway def1"

Internet only:

LAN only:

So you're rigt jass. For my purpose 'Both' is the solution.

Again thanks a lot to both you and Merlin.
Really appreciate the help

/Stig

Just updated to latest firmware and it went well...as usual.

Tried the 3 options

Under 'Client will use VPN to access'

Both:

Internet only:

LAN only:

Again thanks a lot to both you and Merlin.
Really appreciate the help

/Stig

Bare hyggelig...

Evey time my ISP mess things up, and that has been quite often lately, my log gets flooded with the messages below. Can someone please explain what they are about?

May 22 16:55:48 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full
May 22 16:55:49 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full
May 22 16:55:54 kernel: net_ratelimit: 15 callbacks suppressed
May 22 16:55:54 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full
May 22 16:55:55 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full

Do you have a ftp server or something running. Looks like an excessive amount of connections.
What about your firewall..is that enabled

Last edited:
This would be sad. Your firmware is biggest reason I own an Asus router.

If I were Asus, I would be concerned if this happened. Having your firmware available is a selling point for them. Whatever you decide Eric, people will always appreciate your efforts to improve this firmware. Thank you!
Ditto !!

Good luck. I tried this tonight on my RT-3200 to troubleshoot some wireless issues I was having and ultimately ended up re-flashing 384.5.

I was able to flash 380.70 with the ASUS restore tool... but after getting my settings in there and giving the router a final reboot it would get stuck in a bootloop. I suspect this is related to the nvram size change on specific router. In my limited reading on the matter, a factory reset was supposed to fix this issue but in my case it didn't. I tried it three or four times and ultimately got stuck in a bootloop each time.

After an hour and some change, I just got frustrated and put 384.5 back on here.

flashed with 380.70. then on reboot told it to reset factory defaults. then on next boot had to go through the wizard and go re-setup everything. including enabling jffs and redoing that. I use stock settings (most stuff disabled), the longest part is just re-doing all the dhcp static assignments (40 of them - about half is wired, rest is wifi) since I pretty much do that to keep control of what can access my network.
then after that reboot... now I'm back and monitoring to see if the 2.4ghz issue comes up.

I did notice that in 380.70 also has the bug where you can't assign an image to a dhcp host if the device (motherboard/nic) string contains a quote in it.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/129

Good luck. I tried this tonight on my RT-3200 to troubleshoot some wireless issues I was having and ultimately ended up re-flashing 384.5.

I was able to flash 380.70 with the ASUS restore tool... but after getting my settings in there and giving the router a final reboot it would get stuck in a bootloop. I suspect this is related to the nvram size change on specific router. In my limited reading on the matter, a factory reset was supposed to fix this issue but in my case it didn't. I tried it three or four times and ultimately got stuck in a bootloop each time.

After an hour and some change, I just got frustrated and put 384.5 back on here.
On the AC3200 (only) the NVRAM size gets changed with the move to the 382/384 codebase; once you upgrade, you can't go back to 380. It may seem to work for a while (it did for me and apparently others), but it's not stable.

Due to a lack of time on my hands, and increasing spousal frustration, I caved and bought an AC86U. Has the added bonus of it being impossible for our cats to sit on (we had caught them on the AC3200 numerous times), which can't possibly be good for it heat-wise.

Basically, I removed two cryptic options, and made them into a single more user-friendly option.

Do you have a ftp server or something running. Looks like an excessive amount of connections.
What about your firewall..is that enabled
Yes, firewall on, no servers in network. But is this caused by outgoing attempts then or?

Yes, firewall on, no servers in network. But is this caused by outgoing attempts then or?
As far as i know it is caused by incoming connections. But incoming could be both on the wan as well as the lan side. On linux based system there's a connection tracking system which usually maintain 2 tables. 1 for active connections and one for connections that are expected to be active. In a single table solution a DoD could be triggered by filling the table with expectations which eventually will starve out the 'good' active connections. This becuase the 2. Table wil have a max value to prevent the situation. So no 2. Table means nothing to prevent the situation.
However this is not a full blown Linux, at least not to my understanding, but this is as close as I can get. So if no ftp, torrents or anything like that, which could cause a lot of connection, this is my best guess.
The kernel nf_conntrack is a bit more complicated than explained so simplified quite some.

So on a full blown linux server i would look into, is there need for an excessive amount of connections. If yes I could adjust the 'nf_conntrack_expect_max' value. If not I would need to look into what is generating this amount of traffic.
Been working with Linux quite some years now and have never, so far, needed to adjust the max value.
Actually i dont know the max value of the asus. Perhaps around 65000 like on a linux

Last edited:
Basically, I removed two cryptic options, and made them into a single more user-friendly option.
Thanks Merlin
Too sloppy on my side...didn't even see that option. I was looking under advanced and was thinking....am I missimg something...which I obviously was :)
But I see what you mean

On the AC3200 (only) the NVRAM size gets changed with the move to the 382/384 codebase; once you upgrade, you can't go back to 380. It may seem to work for a while (it did for me and apparently others), but it's not stable.

Yes I know. Resetting to factory defaults was supposed to fix the nvram issue (per the thread I was reading) but it became apparent that wasn't actually the case.

Mulling my options now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!