What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just had OOM kill the web server on my router, after running for 21 days w/o problems... seems something is leaking memory. And I notice that just enabling the AiProtection chews up 60Mb or so of my 256Mb of memory right away.

I don't have AiProtection enabled, but I agree there does appear to be something leaking memory. My free memory is slowly going down since I rebooted the router. It started at 230 MB and is now down to 213 MB.

In case it helps anyone else - after struggling with wireless issues with the new code base and constant reboots and even trying stock.
I changed it to 7 and so far the router has been up for over 3+ days without any 2.4 ghz issues. Still watching it to see if anything changes, but its been stable so far.
Does this pertain to an AC3200 or another Asus router? Thanks. This really tempts me to go back to Merlin on my AC3200 with control channel at 7.

Does this pertain to an AC3200 or another Asus router? Thanks. This really tempts me to go back to Merlin on my AC3200 with control channel at 7.

I had wireless issues consistently on both my ac3100 and ac88 with both the latest stock and the latest merlin. I believe the ac3200 is using a different chipset. Never had any issues with the 380.69 code base. I'm still testing on stock though because i want to see if I can get asus to fix it. I want to wait and see if the problem re-appears before i make any changes or go back to the latest merlin.

I wish I had my wireless scanner that would show channel conflict, but that was my old company :(

I just checked system log and it's full of messages like this:
Code:
Jun 18 02:46:21 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan4000 with own address as source address
Jun 18 02:46:22 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan4000 with own address as source address
Jun 18 02:46:24 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan4000 with own address as source address
Jun 18 02:46:25 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan4000 with own address as source address
Jun 18 02:46:26 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan4000 with own address as source address
Jun 18 02:52:10 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan4000 with own address as source address
Jun 18 03:11:54 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan4000 with own address as source address
Jun 18 03:11:55 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan4000 with own address as source address
What does this mean?
Try disabling asusnat tunneling on other settings page under tools section. This is used for Alexa and IFTTT support.

I had wireless issues consistently on both my ac3100 and ac88 with both the latest stock and the latest merlin. I believe the ac3200 is using a different chipset. Never had any issues with the 380.69 code base. I'm still testing on stock though because i want to see if I can get asus to fix it. I want to wait and see if the problem re-appears before i make any changes or go back to the latest merlin.

I wish I had my wireless scanner that would show channel conflict, but that was my old company :(
Regarding the wireless scanner, maybe this helps:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer

Having issues with DNS stability on 384.5 and AC86U. The router’s DNS proxy stops responding after a while. I changed DHCP to advertise 8.8.8.8 to work around the issue. It might be OOM killing the dnsmasq process.

Last edited:
You're problably right, here it's called "aktiver radio"...

I think I saw you mentioning using smart connect. Not sure how it plays in 384.5, but in latest stock if using smart connect, the top right wifi fan is completely gone.

Have you tried the following:

Initiliaze, not factory reset. shift F5 your browser, during initial setup choose 2,4 and 5 GHz as separate networks, disable WPS and pretty much everything on the wireless professional settings page, set the channels manually and to use 20MHz bandwith on both bands...

I've used this approach for nearly 2 years, and my wifi been fairly stable...

It was broke. Recieved the new one yesterday, flashed and added my saved config and works fine now.

I'm upgrading from 384.4_2 and it's happen something that never did - after everything is done I'm still on 384.4_2.
I've rebooted the router and tried again - the same result.
What could be this?

I'm upgrading from 384.4_2 and it's happen something that never did - after everything is done I'm still on 384.4_2.
What could be this?
Disconnect any USB device (if you have some). Reboot and try again.
If failure persists, make sure you're following the installation instructions.

What could be this?

Which model?

thanks mate!
No, I don't have any USB device connected (never did).
And I'm installing the same way I've done it many, many times.
What's different now?

It's a good point and sorry because I didn't start with this note:
I have an Asus RT-AC87U
There's a list in the download page that contains the sha256 checksums for each firmware file.
Make sure you got the correct file and that the checksum matches the one in the list.

sha.jpg

than try first initialize from GUI, again with pressing WPS 20s while power on and finaly reset button on back as well and then try it again. Anyhow download it again for this trial and unzip in extra folder.

Not sure if issues like this were posted yet...didnt see anything like this. I have multiple iot devices that are not working correctly, or intermittently (PicoBrew, Nest, ...) as of this update. I have ate RT-AC88U, and my IOT device will go on the network, but dont seem to talk to the outside world. I can see them connect per fing and the Asus network map, but if I open the app on my phone, they show off line...if I check back a few hours one will be on line and the others wont. Or a few hours after that, a different one will show on line and then the others wont, or any other variation. My Pico brew is a hit or miss, and my sense just doesnt work at this point.
Let me know if you need any other info, or have any suggestions.
Thanks

@eac, couple thoughts because that is odd:
1. what @Grisu said above, and if that doesn't work,
remove power, wait, (not power cycle with the software button), try again
2. the progress bar is an estimate and maybe it's not finished
3. there is a way to do it ssh command-line but should be a last-resort:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/can-you-update-the-asus-merlin-firmware-via-ssh.44866/#post-383985
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/remote-firmware-update-possible.15660/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...4-4-is-now-available.45406/page-5#post-389940

4. I have never done command line upgrade and am not recommending it necessarily but if last-resort fails maybe you can use Asus restore utility and you're at least back in the same boat no worse off

:) Thank you guys
I've removed the power completely and after that, it worked.
Pretty strange anyway... Never get into this until now.
Once again thank you all!

Maybe trying turning on IGMP Snooping?

Okay,I will give that a go, but not holding my breath...

Thanks
On a side not, for the most part the router is set to defaults...no real crazy settings

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!