What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So on my RT-AC3100 I am getting flooded in system log with these types of messages
May 19 03:36:24 kernel: device br0 left promiscuous mode
May 19 03:36:25 roamast: eth2: add client [YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY] to monitor list
May 19 03:36:48 kernel: br0: port 3(wds0.1) entering forwarding state
May 19 03:36:48 kernel: device wds0.1 left promiscuous mode
May 19 03:36:48 kernel: br0: port 3(wds0.1) entering disabled state
May 19 03:36:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface wds0.1 doesn't exist
May 19 03:36:49 kernel: Register interface [wds0.3] MAC: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
May 19 03:36:49 kernel: device wds0.3 entered promiscuous mode
May 19 03:36:49 kernel: br0: port 3(wds0.3) entering forwarding state
May 19 03:36:49 kernel: br0: port 3(wds0.3) entering forwarding state
May 19 03:37:03 crond[405]: time disparity of 661416 minutes detected
May 19 03:37:28 kernel: br0: port 5(wds0.2) entering forwarding state
May 19 03:37:28 kernel: device wds0.2 left promiscuous mode
May 19 03:37:28 kernel: br0: port 5(wds0.2) entering disabled state
May 19 03:37:29 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface wds0.2 doesn't exist
May 19 03:37:30 rc_service: rc 1399:notify_rc restart_wrs
May 19 03:39:13 kernel: br0: port 4(wds1.2) entering forwarding state
May 19 03:39:13 kernel: device wds1.2 left promiscuous mode
May 19 03:39:13 kernel: br0: port 4(wds1.2) entering disabled state
May 19 03:39:14 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface wds1.2 doesn't exist
May 19 03:40:45 roamast: eth1: add client [WW:WW:WW:WW:WW:WW] to monitor list
May 19 03:41:30 kernel: br0: port 3(wds0.3) entering forwarding state
May 19 03:41:30 kernel: device wds0.3 left promiscuous mode
May 19 03:41:30 kernel: br0: port 3(wds0.3) entering disabled state
May 19 03:41:30 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface wds0.3 doesn't exist

Sounds like co-channel interference. Do a site survey or something to figure out what channel you should be on. The main channels in 2.4g is 1,6,11 these channels don't over lap at all. I would try one or all of these channels to see if it speeds things up. 2.4g wifi can only accept one transmission at a time per channel. If there are a lot of devices using the same channel there will be a wait in line kind of thing going on. Also microwave ovens etc. can interfere as well on the 2.4g bandwidth also cordless phones. Hope this helps.
Thank you for trying to help, but can you really see any interference in my case where next nets are -90dB away?
Not US so better to use 1,5,9,13, where the 2 stronger are mine.
Microwave ofen is only in use some minutes a day, cant be the cause.
There are no babyphones, wheaterstations or something else in use in our home and next are at least >50m away.
And I tried every single channel 1-13 with 86U while 68U has no problem at all channels.

I can't tell if the three of you mean Wireless Router mode (Default), or Repeater mode, because Grisu quoted agilani, using repeater mode.
AP-mode in my case (not router or repeater mode).

Screenshot-2018-5-19 WiFi Radar.jpg

My 10 cents worth,

My 2.4 rock solid here.
[Edit] Standard router mode.

2.4 settings:
Channel width manually set to 20 MHz.
[Edit] Channel selection - auto.
Mu-MIMO disable.
Universal Beamforming disable.
Airtime fairness disable.
Roaming assistant disable.
Reduce USB 3 interference disable.

All these have been recommended at one time or another in this forum.
Might be worth trying?
Tried all this settings, doesnt solve it, only set back to defaults and my prefered channel now.
Will go back to asuswrt for crosschecking and wait for new release.
Settings still not active after apply, have to disable/enable WiFi to get them active.
Only on 86U, my 68U all works fine now.

Last edited:
Same on me!
I got it working only with formating on USB2.0 port, tested it before on router with health scanner all ok but tried to use it will hang, then formated on router and now working.
If I take the stick and put it from 86U on 68U to use it there fore download master it doesnt work again ...
I have found a temporary (I hope) solution... If I disable "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" and use a USB 3.0 stick in the USB 2.0 port all works fine... Been running fine for 3 days. Interesting issue though - the USB 3.0 port will not work with either a 3.0 or 2.0 stick...

Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.

I see this just from the beginning of the upgrade process, and before the progress bar comes to end. Tried several times on my AC68-U.
Anything I should consider?

Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.

I see this just from the beginning of the upgrade process, and before the progress bar comes to end. Tried several times on my AC68-U.

Re-check so it`s the right firmware you downloaded so it isent for the 86u..
Remove usb drives from the router and reboot it before trying to flash again and see if that workes

Howdy,
Things to do!
re-download the proper firmware for your unit.
extract said files, check files for integrity
unplug your router, take out any usb drive, wait... plug router back in
login to your router
upgrade your router
when finished upgrading, wait.... login to router, check things out.
unplug your router
plug in your router and set router up from scratch.

Re-check so it`s the right firmware you downloaded so it isent for the 86u..
Checked.
Remove usb drives from the router and reboot it before trying to flash again and see if that works
Done. Didn't help.

re-download the proper firmware for your unit.
Done. I download this file, is it correct?

extract said files, check files for integrity

Checked. Calculated the sha256 sum against the sum included in archive and it matched.

All of you, guys, have AC68-U and upgrade process went fine for you?

Checked.

Done. Didn't help.

Done. I download this file, is it correct?

Checked. Calculated the sha256 sum against the sum included in archive and it matched.

All of you, guys, have AC68-U and upgrade process went fine for you?

Have you tried to do a factory default/initiliaze BEFORE upgrading the firmware in case there is a ram/nvram hickup somewhere...

Will try now again

Another attempt failed, I made reset before trial. What interesting, fail bumps just in the beginning of the upgrade process, when firmware update/upload yet not finished.

siIltY7.png

Seems like corrupted file or smth like this. Is .w file extension correct?

Another attempt failed, I made reset before trial. What interesting, fail bumps just in the beginning of the upgrade process, when firmware update/upload yet not finished.

siIltY7.png

A .trx file is for the ac68u. The .w file you are using is for the ac86u.

siIltY7.png

You said in previous posts you have a AC68U, only the AC86U has a firmware file ending in .w

siIltY7.png

Is it a real 68U or TM modded router? If its a tm modded router this way will not work.

Wow, finally I've done it after redownloading. This was a corrupted file with odd .w extension instead of trx.
That is not a corrupted file at all. The file with the .w extension is simply not meant for your router. If you finally have the right .trx file you should be successful. You wouldn't be the first person to make the mistake of downloading the wrong firmware. :oops:

That is not a corrupted file at all. The file with the .w extension is simply not meant for your router. If you finally have the right .trx file you should be successful. You wouldn't be the first person to make the mistake of downloading the wrong firmware. :oops:

I've done this a few times. I'm blaming Asus for their naming convention :D

I've done this a few times. I'm blaming Asus for their naming convention :D
Whats your problem? It is that clear and easy, you only have to read and type correct number. There are really large problems, but the names are quite clear and 68<>86 since ever.
And 86U got encrypted firmware, thats why they changed extension from .trx to .w, thats ok for me too.
As well it is ok that firmware will be checked before upload like in this case shows to prevent bricked router.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!