What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reflashed and factory reset and 24hrs test - still 2.4Ghz drops on AC3200. Such a shame. I have followed this project for 18 months. Going back to Asus firmware.
I don't know what reverting to Asus OEM firmware will accomplish. Both firmwares use the same wireless driver. But have at it and best of luck!

Only the primary router is aware of all the existing leases, since it's the one issuing them.

Is there somewhere in the primary router that i can go to see all of the existing leases, mac/ip address, etc..? So far the only place i can see is the syslog, but even that doesn't show lease times, only mac/ip combination.

Is there somewhere in the primary router that i can go to see all of the existing leases, mac/ip address, etc..? So far the only place i can see is the syslog, but even that doesn't show lease times, only mac/ip combination.

System Log -> DHCP leases
Isn't that what's you're looking for?

I had this problem once but I disabled letsencrypt and reset to defaults and setup manually. There is something about letsencrypt and https access even if its set to not be accessed from the web.
Confirmed. I never used letsencrypt, but with "Authentication Method" set to "BOTH" (i.e. http and https) if I leave a tab open connected to my AC86U, the webui becomes unresponsive within a few hours and I have to restart httpd. Tested with Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. With Authentication set to "http" the webui is stable for at least a day.

Weird. Not a biggie since I have WAN webui access turned off, so it really doesn't matter if I just use http.

Not sure if this is a bug or if it is even possible for you to test this.

I am using a Asus RT-AC3100 with firmware 384.5. So my internet went out and once it went out my router just started acting crazy.. the LAN wasn't working.. the WiFi wasn't working. I could not figure out why forever.

So I unplugged the WAN ( Internet ) cable and the router started working completely fine.. was fast again and WiFi was working just didn't have internet. So I plugged the WAN back in.. and it did it again.. Router mega unresponsive. Could barely even get to the router homepage.

So I went to the "Tools - Other Settings" page.. and disabled the option.. "Wan: Use DNS probes to determine if WAN is up (default: Yes)" and the router started working completely fine again while the WAN cable was plugged in. But I didn't have internet cause my net was down as a I expected.

Can you confirm this bug? I only found it when my net went down. So not sure how you would test it. Either way I am glad I found the fix. ( knock on wood )

Not sure if this is a bug or if it is even possible for you to test this.

I am using a Asus RT-AC3100 with firmware 384.5. So my internet went out and once it went out my router just started acting crazy.. the LAN wasn't working.. the WiFi wasn't working. I could not figure out why forever.

So I unplugged the WAN ( Internet ) cable and the router started working completely fine.. was fast again and WiFi was working just didn't have internet. So I plugged the WAN back in.. and it did it again.. Router mega unresponsive. Could barely even get to the router homepage.

So I went to the "Tools - Other Settings" page.. and disabled the option.. "Wan: Use DNS probes to determine if WAN is up (default: Yes)" and the router started working completely fine again while the WAN cable was plugged in. But I didn't have internet cause my net was down as a I expected.

Can you confirm this bug? I only found it when my net went down. So not sure how you would test it. Either way I am glad I found the fix. ( knock on wood )

Do you see the following in your system log?

Code:
 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full

Another user seems to be experiencing something similar https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-5-is-now-available.46575/page-16#post-406488

I'll take a look. Many thanks :) Is this only for the static entries? I was hoping to get all mac/ip address pairings with multiple repeaters its sometimes difficult to track down where the device is connected to and the source mac.
John's NVRAM backup / restore tool is not yet compatible with the 384 firmware branch - look at the date when it was updated: It's made for the 380 firmware branch! :rolleyes:

John's NVRAM backup / restore tool is not yet compatible with the 384 firmware branch - look at the date when it was updated: It's made for the 380 firmware branch! :rolleyes:
That link goes to another link here, useful to *only* backup *one* thing, in this case only the dhcp staticlist. I did read both links very carefully multiple times before I used it. I posted the first link that contains the second link with the full details because both posts are relevant to the discussion of the dhcp staticlist.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...ames-reserved-dhcp-ip-list.40678/#post-341622
"Included in my nvram-save package, is a little script called 'save-mynvram.sh'. If you execute it with the name (or names) of an nvram variable, like
./save-mynvram.sh dhcp_staticlist

it will create a script
restore-mynvram.sh

that will handle restoring the variables (and take care of any special characters, line length, etc). If you want, you could rename it, like
restore-dhcp_staticlist.sh to keep track of what it does." - quoting John9527

I know not to use the full nvram save/restore script on versions after 380. I have read every single post in that thread more than once and am fully aware of the fact you state. This is one small subset of John's script that one can run and then examine it closely. I checked to make it had the info I wanted and then did a test run to *only* restore the dhcp_staticlist to verify that it worked correctly for me.

I’ve never used that, any suggestions on what options to use? And how do I stop the command?

Code:
 tcpdump -nni eth0 ‘tcp[tcpflags] == tcp-syn’

That will display all the TCP connections on your WAN interface. It will output to the screen so no files to clean up after, and simply Ctrl+c to exit.

There is another user reporting similar symptoms, and have found that disabling “Tools - Other Settings > Wan: Use DNS probes to determine if WAN is up” solved it. Maybe try that first?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-5-is-now-available.46575/page-20#post-407041

Code:
 tcpdump -nni eth0 ‘tcp[tcpflags] == tcp-syn’

That will display all the TCP connections on your WAN interface. It will output to the screen so no files to clean up after, and simply Ctrl+c to exit.

There is another user reporting similar symptoms, and have found that disabling “Tools - Other Settings > Wan: Use DNS probes to determine if WAN is up” solved it. Maybe try that first?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-5-is-now-available.46575/page-20#post-407041
Thanks, will try that one the next time connection goes down, and also the DNS Probe thing

Hello!
I have noticed that the processor temperature is always between 80-83 degrees.
Is it normal, or does my router have a problem?
RT-AC86U
The ambient temperature is 77°F (25°C) and there is minimal load on the router.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Hello!
RT-AC86U

Thank you,

That's about right. My AC87U is at 80°C and AC88U at 74°C. If you're concerned about the temp you can always buy a notebook cooler pad. They are cheap ($7-$20).

Last edited:
Hello!
RT-AC86U

Thank you,
Thats a way too hot, yes it will work and probably wont overheat for some years, but its not good!

My 68U was 85°C as well and after improoving thermal contact between processor and thermal plate it is now down to 75°C, dispite its running 1200/800MHz now and before only 800/666 and that makes about 3-5° more temp.
My 86U got under 75° out of the box, so no need to open it.

Cooler are not that good solution, additional power needed, dust gets inside, doesnt help the processor with no direct contact to the cooler plate to get the heat off.
In my 68U I had to bend the plate a little bit in the range where the processor is sitting. It is pressed down on the sides and bending up, so where needed space between processer to plate.
Somewhere I found a nice video of it where the problem is shown, but did it my way years before ...

Last edited:
Thats a way too hot, yes it will work and probably wont overheat for some years, but its not good!
Yes, you can cook eggs on it - keep this in mind! o_O

This topic was discussed many times in the forum and the conclusion is simple: The chips are designed to have an internal temperature above 100° Celsius - so there is no cooling need!

But some people fear the temperature (not understanding that EVERY chip is that hot inside as it's required to run the silicon) and put some cooling solution in place - spending money to buy it and paying for the currency to run it - without any need our advantage... :rolleyes:

I flashed my AC3200 with the new ASUS Firmware and my 2.4GHz connection issues have gone.

You are comparing two different version. 384.5 is based on 382_50010. The GPL code for the newly released version is not available yet.

You are comparing two different version. 384.5 is based on 382_50010. The GPL code for the newly released version is not available yet.

I run 384.3-beta3 on my AC3200 as it’s the only new release that 2.4ghz is usable for me. I have tried the new stock 382_50010 for a week or so and can confirm no drops with that. It’s definately an Asus issue not Merlins firmware so I’m hopeful that the GPL for 50010 will be released at some point soon and Merlin is kind enough to release a new version with this included

EDIT
I have tried the new stock 382_50470 for a week or so NOT 382_50010

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!