What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wireless-> Professional-> Band 5GHz-> Activate radio-> Apply

Not sure if a reboot is required for the wireless change to take effect....

I guess you mean the "enable radio" radio button? I've turned it off, applied, tried it back on again, but no light.

Brand new RT-AC86U, could the 5Ghz radio have died? it was working when i bought it last week.

@RMerlin:
Your WiFi-Radar is a wonderful feature you implemented for RT-AC86U too.
Would it be possible to show all 5G channels 36-64/100-144/149-165 and not only US-channels 36-48 and 149-165?

Kinda surprising since the wireless code is 100% identical, as I have no control over it.

Well, then how does one explain the fact that, when I flash the official Asus Firmware...I have the issue. I flash yours, no issues.
I just tested this 2x. (performing resets after each flash).
Something has to be different between them.

I had tired out your firmware out, like 5 years ago, but it gave far less performance than the stock firmware at the time and I think the way OpenVPN was setup was not the same easy thing the stock version was..i think. Don't recall really.

Anyway, glad to see your firmware has improved and so far, is running great.
Just saved me $200 that I don't have, to go buy a new router.
Thanks for your work.

@RMerlin:
Would it be possible to show all 5G channels 36-64/100-144/149-165 and not only US-channels 36-48 and 149-165?

I wish u could unlock the channels that are locked in the USA models. I once had a Cisco E3000? that I flashed Tomato or DDWRT on and it allowed to use all channels. But only one of my wifi devices at the time could actually use those channels.

I really...really could use those locked out channels, as my environment(large apartment complex) is very crowed wifi with all channels have mutiple networks.

After 21 days of up time the UI is unresponsive on my RT-AC86U. When I try to browse to router's IP address, 192.168.1.1 the browser just hangs with the spinning indicator and never connects. A reboot corrects of course. Nothing in the logs when I ssh'ed into the router and looked. Router was functioning without any issues other then cannot access UI. Before someone asks, this is with multiple browsers and a reboot fixes.!

In a fit of confusion, I noticed that Asus have released an 06/01/18 firmware update:

ASUS RT-AC3200 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.50624
- Modified the EULA for DDNS, AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Web history, Feedback.
- Added Privacy page in Advanced settings
- Fixed IPv6 bugs
- Modified USB 3.0 related strings.
- Added more protection mechanism for OpenVPN account.

I'm way ahead on 384.5 Merlin. I assume the above "fixes" will be added in due course... ? Asking because I use VPN and a USP 3.0 HDD connected to my AC3200 (although it doesnt seem to be working atm.)

@RMerlin:

That feature is 100% Broadcom's, I have no control over it.

In a fit of confusion, I noticed that Asus have released an 06/01/18 firmware update:

No confusion there. The RT-AC3200 is on the 382 code branch, while other models recently updated are on the 384 branch.

:eek: ...but... is it true!? :oops:

s.1528151978.jpg

@kfp @RMerlin
OP was using latest Asus firmware 384.21045, so the drivers might have been updated?

Actually, i updated to Version 3.0.0.4.384.20942 2018/05/22 the day after it came out.
I was on the version just released previous to it.
It worked fine.
I run tests after each firmware update to make sure nothing got derped.
Had no issues until 9 days later on 2018/06/01.
As part of troubleshooting, I checked for firmware update, and coincidentally, Asus released Version 3.0.0.4.384.21045 that day 2018/06/01.
I updated to that firmware, but issues persisted, even after factory reset.
I omitted this extra detail as I didn't think it was that relevant.

Actually, i updated to Version 3.0.0.4.384.20942 2018/05/22 the day after it came out.
I was on the version just released previous to it.
It worked fine.

Merlin’s 384.5 is based on 384.20648, which I guess is “the version just released previous to [384.20942]”.

No confusion there. The RT-AC3200 is on the 382 code branch, while other models recently updated are on the 384 branch.

In that case you need to explain my stupidity. I've downloaded the latest from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC3200/

I install your lovely firmware dated 13/5/18 which tells me it is 384.5

Asus in their wisdom release 382- whatever. With a date time stamp newer than the version I have installed.

So - In laymans terms i.e yes or no:

Does the version I currently have installed on my router include the fixes released by Asus on June 1 this year ?

Does the version I currently have installed on my router include the fixes released by Asus on June 1 this year ?

No, because I can't know ahead of time what fixes will appear in the future - I released 384.5 a month before these new releases.

You can't compare version numbers between different branches/models, as Asus develops 382 and 384 firmwares separately - just like I developed 380 and 384 firmware separately.

The latest fixes are added by 382.50624 and 384.21045. My 384.5 firmware is based off 384_20648 and 382_50010, both of which are older. I always document in the changelog on which GPL release my firmware releases are based off.

The reason for the separate branches is because Asus develops the 382 firmwares for models without AiMesh, and 384 firmwares for those with AiMesh.

I wish u could unlock the channels that are locked in the USA models. I once had a Cisco E3000? that I flashed Tomato or DDWRT on and it allowed to use all channels. But only one of my wifi devices at the time could actually use those channels.

I really...really could use those locked out channels, as my environment(large apartment complex) is very crowed wifi with all channels have mutiple networks.
Just change the wifi country in ssh eg
Set the Wlan Country to Australia

I guess you mean the "enable radio" radio button? I've turned it off, applied, tried it back on again, but no light.

Brand new RT-AC86U, could the 5Ghz radio have died? it was working when i bought it last week.

You're problably right, here it's called "aktiver radio"...

I think I saw you mentioning using smart connect. Not sure how it plays in 384.5, but in latest stock if using smart connect, the top right wifi fan is completely gone.

Have you tried the following:

Initiliaze, not factory reset. shift F5 your browser, during initial setup choose 2,4 and 5 GHz as separate networks, disable WPS and pretty much everything on the wireless professional settings page, set the channels manually and to use 20MHz bandwith on both bands...

I've used this approach for nearly 2 years, and my wifi been fairly stable...

After 21 days of up time the UI is unresponsive on my RT-AC86U. When I try to browse to router's IP address, 192.168.1.1 the browser just hangs with the spinning indicator and never connects. A reboot corrects of course. Nothing in the logs when I ssh'ed into the router and looked. Router was functioning without any issues other then cannot access UI. Before someone asks, this is with multiple browsers and a reboot fixes.!
no need for reboot, often have this after changing anything in WiFi settings.
for me SSH 'service restart_httpd' helps in 90%, sometimes even SSH not possible.

Mine are 68U and 86U and BOTH got same 2,4G problem as you.
Sometimes after restart my card I get up to 100 or even 130Mb/s, and next measurement I have 1Mb/s.
Strong signal >-30dBm.
Same on PC an mobile S7.
Stock and Merlin ...

I really cannot understand whats going on here!

First moment back to legacy Merling 380.70 and all seams to be fine with 100Mb/s on my 68U.
View attachment 13327
10 minutes later nothing changed I have <2Mb/s again ...
View attachment 13328
Ping still ok, upload not good but working, download terrible!

How can it be no issue for most others here and I have it on both units???
Nobody looking how 2,4G is performing?

I think it has to do with 40MHz bandwith setting in 2,4G, but less is no option in my case with no neighbours!!!

this was all on my 5Ghz network... which is really bad... so i factory reset stuff and it works like it should now but now i want a good way to setup remote access but not use the built in remote admin options... as that is really insecure and i noticed that i was getting a lot of RU and other foreign attacks (bad password attempts on admin and login attempts with a non existent user) so i want to setup a vpn to my router.... if anyone can help it would be amazing....

You're problably right, here it's called "aktiver radio"...

I think I saw you mentioning using smart connect. Not sure how it plays in 384.5, but in latest stock if using smart connect, the top right wifi fan is completely gone.

Have you tried the following:

Initiliaze, not factory reset. shift F5 your browser, during initial setup choose 2,4 and 5 GHz as separate networks, disable WPS and pretty much everything on the wireless professional settings page, set the channels manually and to use 20MHz bandwith on both bands...

I've used this approach for nearly 2 years, and my wifi been fairly stable...

I think it's broke. It was working on friday when i turned it on and everything was connected to 5GHz. the light on the front never turns on. Re-flash, factory reset, nothing.

Going to flash with offical version tonight see if it does anything, then i'll RMA it.

this was all on my 5Ghz network... which is really bad... so i factory reset stuff and it works like it should now but now i want a good way to setup remote access but not use the built in remote admin options... as that is really insecure and i noticed that i was getting a lot of RU and other foreign attacks (bad password attempts on admin and login attempts with a non existent user) so i want to setup a vpn to my router.... if anyone can help it would be amazing....

With Merlin's latest ovpn implementation it's become almost to easy...

Click on Vpn ->Vpn-server tab-> Click enable OpenVPN-server and now youre done...

If you havent already set up DDNS, there is a link on the page you can choose. You also get the chance to increase the security with 2048 bit encryption if you like and decide if you like the vpn connection to give access to Lan only or Internet only or both.

If you like you can register vpn users at bottom, or just use your already registered router credentials...

Then hit apply. You will now see a Export button appear, click on it and it downloads a configurationfile to your device. Import this file in your vpn client on your device and youre good to go...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!