What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So, I guess we will have to wait ...

But there is one weird thing: there are about 10 clients coneceted to my AC68U AP. For one of then, an iPad, the name still showing “unknow”, but it shows the IP adress ....

Thanks for your answer!

I also see few clients like that on my AP too but right now I don't have any explanation for that behavior.

I started having problems with my ac88u again. Same symptoms as before. DHCP loop over and over in the logs. A network capture on one of the workstations attached to a repeater 2.4 ghz didn't show anything other than lots of tcp resets and surprisingly little broadcast traffic of any kind. Extremely high latency just getting to the wireless interface on both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz on the ac88. 5ghz was still usable, but 2.4ghz was not. I was expecting to see the DHCP requests that show up in the log in the traffic. But it wasn't. No noticeable effect of wired. Finally reset the central ac88 router and everything recovered.

I was thinking of moving my dhcp off of the router to see if that makes any difference. That may make the full wipes easier too since most of my time is spend configuring DHCP.

I know... :) ... but the Asus' patches has changed, today -according mandatory laws on the subject- Asus has a monthly frequency security update (but even more...).

So Merlin's work becomes really much harder than before ...

I support Merlin who has all my esteem and gratitude forever for his really hard work in favor for this wonderful community ... and I really hope that he doesn't throw in the towel!

I was thinking of moving my dhcp off of the router to see if that makes any difference. That may make the full wipes easier too since most of my time is spend configuring DHCP.

I don’t use DHCP on my Asus and still problems with my 2.4 Ghz. I doubt the symptom would go away if you did the same, but worth a shot. Easier to debug with less moving parts.

quick update:

brand new rt-ac88u a few weeks old, while on on 384.x I kept having 2.4ghz issues where that radio would drop out and anything that was using it would try to reconnect and fail until you turn the radio off then on / reboot the device. 5ghz would be fine and the led for 2.4ghz was still on. this problem is prevalent across multiple devices through these forums.. some people swear its hw issue some people say its a bug in the firmware. I gave 384.5 a chance and within a few hours the issue happened. I decided to try downgrading to 380.70 and I can report now that everything has been stable for 4.5 days now. going to monitor for another week to confirm it really is 'fixed' by downgrading software. for completeness: 33 devices connected, 15 are on 2.4ghz spectrum.

still stable now for 12 days 2 hours. so yeah, looks like 380.70 is where I'm going to have to live until the 2.4ghz issue in the 384.x gets figured out. :(

so i am having an issue where the wifi is way to slow after the update... and i want to know if a factory reset will help as i have not reset in the last 5 or so updates... i dont want to reset just cause i have a lot of configs like ddns and wan access and the smb service with 5 users all setup plus i have a jiff fs setup as well... but i am getting unberrible wifi speeds even right next to it

upstairs is at fluctuates from 1.3 Mbps to 25Mbps and and right next to it fluctuates from 10Mbps to 70Mbps and am getting my full 250Mbps when plugged into it...

my router is a asus RT-AC87U

EDIT: i started messing up again also i noticed that the
QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor doesn't work anymore... i will probably just revert to the old version (384.4_2) to try and fix the performance issues

Last edited:
Is there an easy way to force DHCPv6 to renew the IPv6 address without having to turn IPv6 off and on or restart the router? If I power off my modem and power it back on again, most of the time the router won’t get an IPv6 address. I’m guessing it might get one eventually on its own, but I’d like to force it to do so.

so i am having an issue where the wifi is way to slow after the update... and i want to know if a factory reset will help as i have not reset in the last 5 or so updates... i dont want to reset just cause i have a lot of configs like ddns and wan access and the smb service with 5 users all setup plus i have a jiff fs setup as well... but i am getting unberrible wifi speeds even right next to it

upstairs is at fluctuates from 1.3 Mbps to 25Mbps and and right next to it fluctuates from 10Mbps to 70Mbps and am getting my full 250Mbps when plugged into it...

my router is a asus RT-AC87U
Mine are 68U and 86U and BOTH got same 2,4G problem as you.
Sometimes after restart my card I get up to 100 or even 130Mb/s, and next measurement I have 1Mb/s.
Strong signal >-30dBm.
Same on PC an mobile S7.
Stock and Merlin ...

I really cannot understand whats going on here!

First moment back to legacy Merling 380.70 and all seams to be fine with 100Mb/s on my 68U.
Screenshot-2018-6-3 good.png

10 minutes later nothing changed I have <2Mb/s again ...
Screenshot-2018-6-3 bad.png

Ping still ok, upload not good but working, download terrible!

How can it be no issue for most others here and I have it on both units???
Nobody looking how 2,4G is performing?

I think it has to do with 40MHz bandwith setting in 2,4G, but less is no option in my case with no neighbours!!!

Last edited:
Mine are 68U and 86U and BOTH got same 2,4G problem as you.
Sometimes after restart my card I get up to 100 or even 130Mb/s, and next measurement I have 1Mb/s.
Strong signal >-30dBm.
Same on PC an mobile S7.
Stock and Merlin ...

I really cannot understand whats going on here!

First moment back to legacy Merling 380.70 and all seams to be fine with 100Mb/s on my 68U.
View attachment 13327
10 minutes later nothing changed I have <2Mb/s again ...
View attachment 13328
Ping still ok, upload not good but working, download terrible!

How can it be no issue for most others here and I have it on both units???
Nobody looking how 2,4G is performing?

I think it has to do with 40MHz bandwith setting in 2,4G, but less is no option in my case with no neighbours!!!

In an ideal world I totally agree we should expect most features to work as announced by Asus, but sadly this is the real world...

I also agree you should be able to use 40MHz bandwith, but it seems you would be much better off with just 20 for now...

Did not stock 384_20942 or 384_21045 improve anything for you? (on at least the one box it's available for)

How is your setup ? (router, ap or repeater mode)

Since you do not have to consider neighbours, is settings on auto, or have you handpicked wireless channels etc... Initial setup, did you choose wireless as one network, or separate networks (2,4 and 5 GHz) to see if it makes any difference?

And I also assume you've already been through all the known tweaks as described here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-5-is-now-available.46575/page-13#post-405971 even though it should be totally unnecessary, since it should work as expected...

And just so I've mentioned it, I blame all these problems on Asus, and just pray Merlin doesn't give up his fantastic fw anytime soon...

Last edited:
One thing I have discovered is that for those routers that can be wall-mounted, like my RT-AC88U, it knocks about 10 degrees C off the temperature. So in my case, if I place the router horizontal on a hard surface, the CPU temperature is about 80-81 degrees in a room with an ambient temperature of 22-23 degrees, whereas when it is wall-mounted (as now), the CPU runs at about 71 degrees.
Very nice!

according mandatory laws on the subject

Source? Because there is no such laws. There is no router manufacturer out there issuing monthly releases.

In an ideal world I totally agree we should expect most features to work as announced by Asus, but sadly this is the real world...

I also agree you should be able to use 40MHz bandwith, but it seems you would be much better off with just 20 for now...

Did not stock 384_20942 or 384_21045 improve anything for you? (on at least the one box it's available for)

How is your setup ? (router, ap or repeater mode)

Since you do not have to consider neighbours, is settings on auto, or have you handpicked wireless channels etc... Initial setup, did you choose wireless as one network, or separate networks (2,4 and 5 GHz) to see if it makes any difference?

And I also assume you've already been through all the known tweaks as described here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-5-is-now-available.46575/page-13#post-405971 even though it should be totally unnecessary, since it should work as expected...

And just so I've mentioned it, I blame all these problems on Asus, and just pray Merlin doesn't give up his fantastic fw anytime soon...
Cannot use Aimess, these two routers dont work together and use different 5G channels (only 149-161 would work on both but our mobiles doesnt support them) and still no guest support ...

So need both AP-mode with different channels, 100 factory initialize, WPS and by scratch ...
86U ch. 1+5, 36-48
68U ch. 9+13, 52-64
Same SSID on all 4
But tested single SSID as well, no differences, stock and merlin all versions and beta since 380.
Everyting disabled, enabled, nothing helps.

20MHz probably can help, but 50Mb/s with -25dBm is a nogo on a 230-line.
20/40 doesnt go up to 100Mb/s, same as only 20.

Testing now Johns old wireless driver version.

Last edited:
Source? Because there is no such laws. There is no router manufacturer out there issuing monthly releases.
For the law of the European community it is so.
A European Directive became effective at the end of 2017 has established this*, if you want to sell in Europe.

*PS specification: "under the security bug profile"

Last edited:
For the law of the European community it is so.
A European Directive became effective at the end of 2017 has established this*, if you want to sell in Europe.

*PS specification: "under the security bug profile"
Which law is that? And for what devices?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!