What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello RMerlin,

I would like to thank you for your time and effort you invest into development. I'm happy with the latest version .65, but I experiencing random reboots. I have RT-N66U and last messages before reboot I found in syslog are this:

Feb 8 19:05:42 pptpd[2237]: CTRL: Client 139.162.37.156 control connection started
Feb 8 19:05:42 pptpd[2237]: CTRL: EOF or bad error reading ctrl packet length.
Feb 8 19:05:42 pptpd[2237]: CTRL: couldn't read packet header (exit)
Feb 8 19:05:42 pptpd[2237]: CTRL: CTRL read failed
Feb 8 19:05:42 pptpd[2237]: CTRL: Client 139.162.37.156 control connection finished
Feb 8 19:27:57 kernel: SKIPPED false Type 7 Radar Detection. min_pw=283 pw_delta=0 pri=6304 fm_min=1030 fm_max=0 nconsecq_pulses=4. Time from last detection = 51993, = 866min 33sec. Detected pulse index: 4

Do you have any idea what is wrong? Or anybody else?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hello RMerlin,

I would like to thank you for your time and effort you invest into development. I'm happy with the latest version .65, but I experiencing random reboots. I have RT-N66U and last messages before reboot I found in syslog are this:

Feb 8 19:05:42 pptpd[2237]: CTRL: Client 139.162.37.156 control connection started
Feb 8 19:05:42 pptpd[2237]: CTRL: EOF or bad error reading ctrl packet length.
Feb 8 19:05:42 pptpd[2237]: CTRL: couldn't read packet header (exit)
Feb 8 19:05:42 pptpd[2237]: CTRL: CTRL read failed
Feb 8 19:05:42 pptpd[2237]: CTRL: Client 139.162.37.156 control connection finished
Feb 8 19:27:57 kernel: SKIPPED false Type 7 Radar Detection. min_pw=283 pw_delta=0 pri=6304 fm_min=1030 fm_max=0 nconsecq_pulses=4. Time from last detection = 51993, = 866min 33sec. Detected pulse index: 4

Do you have any idea what is wrong? Or anybody else?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That connection is from Singapore so if you're not in Singapore likely you have some port open to the WAN and may have been hacked.

That connection is from Singapore so if you're not in Singapore likely you have some port open to the WAN and may have been hacked.
No worries, it's probably just a 'normal' scan on the default VPN port. No access is granted, the connection is aborted.

The kernel notice is due to wireless band 5Ghz being on a higher channel which checks for radar interference (DFS) and changes the channel accordingly. So you might not be experiencing reboots but wireless reset due to this channel change. Solution: Keep 5ghz channel below 50.

DLNA/UPNP Media devices are not working on the AC68 on the latest Merlin. The 380.65 beta 3 was the last working version.
Media server
But WHAT is enabled...CTF, FA, or both???
As far as I know, CTF (Cut Throat Forwarding) and FA (Flow Acceleration) are both names for the same thing, Hardware Acceleration (HW). When it is "Enabled", it will show on the Tools > Sysinfo.

As far as I know, CTF (Cut Throat Forwarding) and FA (Flow Acceleration) are both names for the same thing, Hardware Acceleration (HW). When it is "Enabled", it will show on the Tools > Sysinfo.
CTF and FA are indeed two separate things. It is my understanding that the 88U/3100 only have the option of CTF. I can't remember the reason off the top of my head why though. My 68U will do CTF + FA but my 3100 will only do CTF.

CTF and FA are indeed two separate things. It is my understanding that the 88U/3100 only have the option of CTF. I can't remember the reason off the top of my head why though. My 68U will do CTF + FA but my 3100 will only do CTF.
CTF (Cut-through Forwarding) begins to forward the packet before it is fully received...it is responsible for almost all of the higher speeds needed for fast WAN connections. FA (Flow Acceleration) seems to bypass the CPU in the process thus trying to further increase the speed. On my 68U flow acceleration is just not robust and causes erratic behavior. I'd love to have a set of radio buttons on the LAN tab underneath HW acceleration to disable FA altogether. Instead, I have to turn on traffic statistics and reboot to just have CTF without FA. With just CTF I am getting very close to 1000 mbps down (about 875 which is all my connection can do) so it is working well.

CTF (Cut-through Forwarding) begins to forward the packet before it is fully received...it is responsible for almost all of the higher speeds needed for fast WAN connections. FA (Flow Acceleration) seems to bypass the CPU in the process thus trying to further increase the speed. On my 68U flow acceleration is just not robust and causes erratic behavior. I'd love to have a set of radio buttons on the LAN tab underneath HW acceleration to disable FA altogether. Instead, I have to turn on traffic statistics and reboot to just have CTF without FA. With just CTF I am getting very close to 1000 mbps down (about 875 which is all my connection can do) so it is working well.
Where is this configurable?

My 68U B1 with 1000 MHz processor would hit 950 Mbps WAN-LAN with only CTF enabled albeit at 100% of cpu core 1 usage.

"Switch Control". That's the tab I'm missing in "Bridge" mode on 380.65. Should it be there in "Bridge" mode?
I doubt that it should be there. Since it's bridge mode router is not doing anything processing for each packet, it just forwards everything to the main router.

Where is this configurable?
It's not. The router turn on what it can depending on options selected. For example, it I turn all options off (QoS, Traffic Statistics, etc) and reboot I get both CTF and FA on my 68U B1. If I turn on Traffic Statistics and then reboot I just get CTF which works much better but as mentioned core 1 goes to ~90-100 when doing a speedtest but rarely moves otherwise. If FA is on with CTF, when doing a speedtest I see barely any CPU usage...sounds good but in practice I have some very erratic loading of some pages, and some internet devices just act strange. For example, I could not get HBO Go to load/sort shows on a Roku but if I turn off FA then all is fine. Some other web sites load slowly with FA. FA performance is very erratic so I turn it off by turning on Traffic Statistics. Very reproducible behavior.

Just FYI, my issue with not being able to log into the router via SSH from the LAN (but still being able to login via WAN) was resolved with the final release.

380.65 Really hates xbox streaming over the AC66U while BETA 4 is ironically flawless

The only difference between Beta 4 and the final release was the documentation, and changing the version number. There's zero code change between the two.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!