What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Updated from 380.63_2 on a RT-AC3200, and everything seems rock solid :D
Factory reset, of course.
Been running for about a week with no problems.

Thanks Merlin ;)

Updated from 380.63_2 on a RT-AC3200, and everything seems rock solid :D
Factory reset, of course.
Been running for about a week with no problems.

Thanks Merlin ;)

My RT-AC3200 is the same , no issues at all.

Did a dirty flash, running sweet as a nut without any issues working as expected.

Hi Guys, I mentioned already that I do face trouble when outo restart the router every morning. After I did the upgrade to 380.65 the clients doesn't find the Wlan anymore. When restarting the router once more then Wlan comes back to life. Do I have to reset the Router, and if Yes how is the correct way doing this on Asus router?

What is a process /usr/sbin/acsd ?
After 5th days it uses already 35236K of memory on RT-AC66U. Is it normal?
Used memory increased on 50 Mb after 5th days of use.
Mem: 103728K used, 135804K free, 0K shrd, 8072K buff, 29108K cached
PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
261 1 admin S 35236 14.6 0 0.0 /usr/sbin/acsd

@RMerlin and hello to the rest of SNB members as well...

I'm obv new to this forum, I have an ASUS RT-AC66R Router, I've had it a few years or so and haven't done a whole lot as far as utilizing most of the features and so forth. Finally getting around to looking into setting it up better and utilizing more of it's features and capabilities...which led me to this page, I've spent awhile looking through some of the information in different areas getting a better understanding of some things. I came across the custom FW build that @RMerlin built (correct?) and read through quite a few of the messages on this thread. Can someone give me an overview/brief expanation on what the benefits of flashing this FW vs the ASUS newest FW? What type of benefits and differences are there and is it designed with a specific type of purpose and use in mind? I appreciate any insight. Also any suggestions on some of the best features to take advantage of and set up on this router. Thanks in advance lwoods33

Iwoods, you should have a look at http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/. Look at features, screenshots, and under documentation the changelog.

Just my opinion, the Asus firmware is buggy and is generally not kept up to date. Merlin's variant is based on the Asus code but is kept up to date and is much more robust. My 68U had erratic performance and never reached the full speed of my network. It also required frequent reboots to keep that level of mediocre performance. Support was non-existent. In addition Asus rarely updated the firmware and only became more frequent after the US govt FTC charged Asus with having insecure home routers...this was settled in Feb 2016...lots of articles about this on the web. While there are more frequent updates from Asus they are still buggy...see Merlin's change log for the 380.65 release.

After installing Merlin firmware I rarely have to reboot the router. It is now fast and stable. It is also supported by an excellent team and community!

Thank you @jeff3820 , I def appreciate the response and information. I was actually just on his website http://www.lostrealm.ca, after clicking his profile and seeing it there, I looked at some of his other projects he's done and worked on and just started checking out the asus fw project 5 mins or so ago, at the site you just posted, looking at the features section now and noticed I had a notification from the forum.

I appreciate your response and info, I also have to reboot my router now and then because it will start to perform less than it should at times. Overall I've been really happy with the router though, it's performed better than other routers I've tried in the past and/or been around that others use and I put a fair amount of "stress" on it regularly; there is normally 1-2 ps4's running at once and if 2nd ps4 isnt on then streaming movies on firestick w/kodi instead and always 1 or 2 computers running same time as those and all our phones are connected...which is a fair amount of bandwidth at once being used a good part of the day. I think I'm most likely going to flash my FW over and try it out, many people seem to be really happy with it and it has a good sized community behind it...as well as, obviously a damn good developer @RMerlin maintaining it seemingly better than the ASUS company lol

I wasnt aware that the US govt FTC charged Asus with having insecure home routers, def going to have to look into that now! Although, a couple days ago I downloaded a few of the apps to login to your asus router and utilize a bunch of features from your phone and to use the asus cloud/web storage etc and I seen a few comments about the web storage and it's questionable security and people commenting about a chinese document randomly being in their "cloud storage" that they didnt put there or know was there. That freaked some people out and raised some flags as far as security awareness. Anyone know much about that? Do you guys use it? Find it useful, secure and reliable? Or no?

Thanks again...lwoods

I just clicked login and the router directed me here: http://192.168.1.1/ajax_wificlients.asp

It shows numbers from an array containing wifi devices:
Code:
dataarray24 = ["   ","0","0","-91","1","E0:3F:49: : : ","AP"]; wificlients24 = [["80:D2:1D: : : ","192.168.1.28","Chromecast","2601:647:8002:790c: : : : ","-42","72", "72"," 8:50:02","_STAU_"],["5C:0A:5B: : : ","192.168.1.110", "android-8d334b6294c73bb","","-34","72", "1"," 16:46:07","PS_AU_"],["50:46:5D: : : ","192.168.1.78","android-5596444d3f939fa5","","-40","65", "1"," 18:26:52","P_TAU_"],"-1"]; dataarray5 = [" ","0","0","-92","165","E0:3F:49: : : ","AP"]; wificlients5 = [["AC:3A:7A: : : ","192.168.1.60","*","","-46","130", "144"," 18:27:20","_STAU_"],"-1"]; ;
Not a major problem, I guess, but most interesting is when I tried again the router let me in with no authentication. Zero. No user/pass required... was really strange. I can't reproduce this behavior after several tries. Router Log shows nothing out of the ordinary.

I would swear in court this is the second time since days ago because back then it was a dump of text from a different page than above, I ignored it, and just wrote it off when it let me in with no authentication.

I considered both a glitch in the Matrix because I couldn't believe that just happened, plus it's raining which is rare. spooky. :)

Firefox 51.0.1 (64-bit)
Win 10 Pro version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693)
AC68U

RMerlin,
do you have any plans to rectify the problem miniupnpd (add_filter_rule() : chain FUPNP not found)?

In 380.65 I already fixed the case where these would happen during router boot. If there are other specific scenario where they occur, I have never seen them.

In addition Asus rarely updated the firmware and only became more frequent after the US govt FTC charged Asus with having insecure home routers..

Asus has been very busy doing some major code cleanups and changes over the past 6+ months due to the FTC requirements. That's why updates have been slower these past few months (tho they are still more frequent than most of their competitors). Unless there's been another delay, expect this major new version to appear in a few weeks.

I just clicked login and the router directed me here: http://192.168.1.1/ajax_wificlients.asp

It shows numbers from an array containing wifi devices:
Code:
dataarray24 = ["   ","0","0","-91","1","E0:3F:49: : : ","AP"]; wificlients24 = [["80:D2:1D: : : ","192.168.1.28","Chromecast","2601:647:8002:790c: : : : ","-42","72", "72"," 8:50:02","_STAU_"],["5C:0A:5B: : : ","192.168.1.110", "android-8d334b6294c73bb","","-34","72", "1"," 16:46:07","PS_AU_"],["50:46:5D: : : ","192.168.1.78","android-5596444d3f939fa5","","-40","65", "1"," 18:26:52","P_TAU_"],"-1"]; dataarray5 = [" ","0","0","-92","165","E0:3F:49: : : ","AP"]; wificlients5 = [["AC:3A:7A: : : ","192.168.1.60","*","","-46","130", "144"," 18:27:20","_STAU_"],"-1"]; ;
Not a major problem, I guess, but most interesting is when I tried again the router let me in with no authentication. Zero. No user/pass required... was really strange. I can't reproduce this behavior after several tries. Router Log shows nothing out of the ordinary.

I would swear in court this is the second time since days ago because back then it was a dump of text from a different page than above, I ignored it, and just wrote it off when it let me in with no authentication.

I considered both a glitch in the Matrix because I couldn't believe that just happened, plus it's raining which is rare. spooky. :)

Firefox 51.0.1 (64-bit)
Win 10 Pro version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693)
AC68U
I see the same thing...started with 380.65. What seems to be happening is that we are logged and we never stop at the index page...we land somewhere else. I can't find a way to reproduce the issue. At least 3 of us have mentioned this issue and we all are using Firefox so that might be the common thread along with 380.65. I have tried deleting the cache and router passwords from Firefox but the issue continues randomly. It's really just an annoyance...

But do I then loose all configuration or is that a kind of clean up?
You lose all your settings and configurations. But if you have random (frequent) problems, it is better to start from scratch. I suggest that before resetting your router you take screen captures of your current settings, and copy (/paste) some settings to .txt-file as well to make it easier to you to get your router up and running again. Of course you can save the current config from gui http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp) (= Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting - Save setting), and backup JFFS partition if used. BUT if you restore them after resetting, you may be in trouble again. So, it's recommended that you clean up your system and start from scratch.

Then, after you have configured all the settings again and have a fresh and working router, you can goto Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting and save your settings. I recommend that you use NVRAM Save/Restore Utility as well to save all your settings:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r24.19521/
Download the zip and read the instructions from the text files.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!