What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 is now available for all supported models.

One potential new issue seem to be specific to MIPS models (RT-N66U/RT-AC66U) and their older kernel.
This is another sign that it might be time to retire these older models...

I have RT-N66R, and it failed to update from 380.64_2. (I don't expect it to be related to the issue mentioned.)
I tried twice. Both times it was upgrading, not giving any errors or messages, but when it booted up, I could see the old version remaining (as seen everywhere, including the system log).
Any suggestions?

PS.
Please, do not stop your efforts for the *66*. It would be a waste to throw away this still capable router.

Ac68u

Unfortunately this build totally blocks ppoe connections that worked fine in the previous build.

syslog says it failed due to some errors which doesn't give much to go on.

I have RT-N66R, and it failed to update from 380.64_2. (I don't expect it to be related to the issue mentioned.)
I tried twice. Both times it was upgrading, not giving any errors or messages, but when it booted up, I could see the old version remaining (as seen everywhere, including the system log).
Any suggestions?

PS.
Please, do not stop your efforts for the *66*. It would be a waste to throw away this still capable router.

Reboot your router and then flash. That should do it.

Ac68u

Unfortunately this build totally blocks ppoe connections that worked fine in the previous build.

syslog says it failed due to some errors which doesn't give much to go on.

Can you post the syslog errors? That would help possibly troubleshoot the problem.

Anyone getting this error when changing any wifi settings RTAC87U

Attachments

• WIFI.jpg
    WIFI.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,087

Can you post the syslog errors? That would help possibly troubleshoot the problem.

Give me a moment need to re-flash it again.

Now this is weird.

First update required a manual reboot and ppoe failed to word saying bad password/username.

Went back to 64 build and it worked fine then re-flashed 65 to get the syslog and it didn't ask for a manual reboot plus ppoe worked fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for your work! Do I need to do a factory reset coming from 380.64_2?

Give me a moment need to re-flash it again.

Now this is weird.

First update required a manual reboot and ppoe failed to word saying bad password/username.

Went back to 64 build and it worked fine then re-flashed 65 to get the syslog and it didn't ask for a manual reboot plus ppoe worked fine.

I'm glad it's working for you now.

Thanks for your work! Do I need to do a factory reset coming from 380.64_2?

Unless you experience problems, you should be fine without a factory reset.

I tried to do it two more times, - first with a "warm" reboot (via the menu) before flashing, second with the "cold" reboot (i.e. by removing the power for 30 seconds).
These both times the "counter" went all the way up to 100% (as opposed to 50-some % the previous two times). But still, it booted up with the old version.

Any suggestions?

This is another sign that it might be time to retire these older models...

I would say that is fine, i have gotten so much extra life from the old router because of your firmware updates, that if i had to get a new one today, i would probably buy another Asus router.

I tried to do it two more times, - first with a "warm" reboot (via the menu) before flashing, second with the "cold" reboot (i.e. by removing the power for 30 seconds).
These both times the "counter" went all the way up to 100% (as opposed to 50-some % the previous two times). But still, it booted up with the old version.

Any suggestions?

Ha! I think I found the culprit for the problem with flashing the new version, - I hope it could be useful to someone.
Just before doing all this updates, I changed the setting Tools->Other Settings-> Traffic History Location to NVRAM. (I was hoping this would prevent the traffic history across future reboots.)
Well, apparently this setting prevents flashing the firmware.
Once I changed that back to "RAM" and cold-rebooted, - the new version flashed without any problem.

I'm glad it's working for you now.

Unless you experience problems, you should be fine without a factory reset.

Thanks it is rather odd though and almost appears like the first flash isn't quite complete and a second is required to finish the job.

Agreed; also have a '66.

Unfortunately, the radios are the only things worth salvaging here (and at their age they're coming up to/have passed MTBF no doubt), as the CPU/RAM sections have been far surpassed by the ARM-based routers. comparison: 66 is like 486; multicore ARMs are like i7. You're not still using windows 95, are you?

My hope is to upgrade to an AC router and make ol' 66 an AP for better coverage.

Completely different issue. The issue resolved was caused by Chrome 56, where most of the pages were shifted down. What you describe is something that has been there even before Chrome 56, and which I cannot test as I don't have any ginormous monitor - even my dual monitor setup at work isn't wide enough to recreate the problem. Just reduce the width of your page for now.

Thanks it is rather odd though and almost appears like the first flash isn't quite complete and a second is required to finish the job.

Could have simply been that your PPPoE session wasn't correctly closed the first time, in part due to the router failing to complete its shutdown and reboot cycle. Some ISPs will reject establishing a PPPoE session if the previous one is still thought to be active. The delay involved in reflashing with an older version gave it enough time to close the previous session.

i havnt done a build in about a week (just before the revert)
i removed the whole dir and did a fresh pull
and its failing dont think its anything my end

Code:
ndr_notify.c:(.text.ndr_pull_notify_entry+0x38): undefined reference to `ndr_pull_server_id'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [bin/samba_multicall] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/samba36/source3'
make[4]: *** [apps] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/samba36'
make[3]: *** [samba36] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-7.14.114.x/src'
make[1]: *** [bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-7.14.114.x/src'
make: *** [rt-ac88u] Error 2

edit here's the last time i did a build
Mon Jan 16 01:26:16 UTC 2017 shonk@125414c

Try running a make clean first. Samba 3.6 is a bit quirky to build, as it regenerates a couple of header files based on your specific dev environment. If yours is too far away from mine, it might fail to rebuild.

Unfortunately, the radios are the only things worth salvaging here (and at their age they're coming up to/have passed MTBF no doubt)
It depends when they were put in action. Mine is just under 2 y.o. I bought it in a hurry as a replacement to the failing Trident TEW-692GR that stopped serving DNS requests a few days past the 3-year warrant expiration.

... as the CPU/RAM sections have been far surpassed by the ARM-based routers. comparison: 66 is like 486; multicore ARMs are like i7. You're not still using windows 95, are you?
Ghm... I still have Linksys 54G (ver. 2) that I turned on 2 years ago while waiting for '66 to arrive. I guess that would be 8086 on your scale. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!