What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Having a problem with 384.10_2 (RT-AC88U) that I was not having with any previous Merlin. My WiFi calling connections appear in the the connection log as UNREPLIED even though WiFi calling works. The reason this is a problem is because the WiFi calling connections do not register with QoS and are given default priority instead of the highest priority they should be assigned. I did not have this problem with 384.9 or any previous Merlin, and I did not change any configuration after upgrading.

EDIT - It appears to have been caused by the WiFi calling connection establishing before QoS rules were modified by JR_QoS.

Last edited:
Having a problem with 384.10_2 (RT-AC88U) that I was not having with any previous Merlin. My WiFi calling connections appear in the the connection log as UNREPLIED even though WiFi calling works. The reason this is a problem is because the WiFi calling connections do not register with QoS and are given default priority instead of the highest priority they should be assigned. I did not have this problem with 384.9 or any previous Merlin, and I did not change any configuration after upgrading.

I was going to ask you how do you have QOS setup for Wifi calling priority, do you have a screen shot?

-Peter

ALso noticed that the tooltips on the classification page are not correct. When I hover over a connection that is classified as VOIP and Instant Messaging, the tooltip says "Others." I confirm the real classification because I can watch the bandwidth move for VOIP and Instant Messaging as I make a WiFi call and go back to zero when I end the call.

I have been running 384.10_2 on my RT-AC68U for like 2 weeks when yesterday something strange happened:
Devices both on LAN and WiFi were not able to resolve DNS addresses on internet.
I tried manually setting DNS server IP on desktop computer - did not help.
I was able to ping WAN addreses from LAN including freely available DNS server IPs.
Then i SSH to the router. I was able to ping WAN addresses using their IPs and DNS names. So it was not an ISP problem. Router as also able to connect to the DDNS server and update it's binding.
I have router port on my ONT, i connected my desktop there bypassing ASUS router and was able to use DNS names without any problems.
Router has no WAN access allowed, no SSH from the outside allowed. Admin does not use default name and has complicated password.
No special scripts running on the router, except for ledson and ledsoff scripts.
My only conclusion is that router for some reason had completely stopped forwarding DNS requests.
I was not doing any configurations on the router yesterday, last change was upgrade to 384.10_2 which i already mentioned.
Restarting router did not help. Then i went and reset router to factory defaults which helped but left me confused why did it happen.

I only have one idea which unfortunately i did not tried before resetting router - could it be related to the
"Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: Yes)" setting in "Tools/Other settings" section?
It was enabled. Could be that disabling this setting would've helped too?

Last edited:
I wouldn't think that setting would make a difference, it is a default setting for a reason. Stock firmware also shows issues like yours too.

If you haven't performed a reset to factory defaults after flashing to this firmware version that is more than likely the cause. A minimal and manual install is also required afterward. Do not use a saved backup config file. See my signature below for links and further details to properly reset your router.

UseLocalCaching.png

Thanks!
I did reset router to factory defaults using it's web GUI and i checked that checkbox regarding resetting all AI protect BDs and settings.
As far i know using web gui to reset router is a completely legit method. At least one of them.
After that i manually reconfigured router - only basics:
1. Admin name and password, verified that no web or SSH access is allowed from WAN
2. Configured 2.4 and 5G WiFi SSIDs, passwords and encryption (AES+WPA2-personal)
3. Disabled WPS and UPnP
4. Reinstated ledson and ledsoff scripts and attached them to crontab
5. Re-enabled parental controls and set time limits on child's mobile phone

I have one concern - why is router so slow and sluggish when HTTPS is used to access it's GUI?

Notes:
  • To clean up your router, you can run the following script:
I noticed when reviewing the nvram show output, that there are some other variables in nvram that look similar, but don't have a number in them:

Code:
# nvram show 2>&1 | grep vpn_crt
vpn_crt_server_key=
vpn_crt_server_ca=
vpn_crt_client_key=
vpn_crt_server_dh=
vpn_crt_client_extra=
vpn_crt_server_ca_key=
vpn_crt_server_extra=
vpn_crt_server_client_crt=
vpn_crt_server_crl=
vpn_crt_server_crt=
vpn_crt_client_ca=
vpn_crt_client_static=
vpn_crt_client_crl=
vpn_crt_client_crt=
vpn_crt_server_static=
vpn_crt_server_client_key=

... should these also be cleared?

I have one concern - why is router so slow and sluggish when HTTPS is used to access it's GUI?

800 MHz CPU and single-threaded web server that can only process one connection at a time.

If you are using Firefox, Google search for "Troubleshoot Firefox’s Performing TLS Handshake". There is an issue with self-signed certificates that can make Firefox choke. I deleted cert8.db and cert9.db from the Firefox profile. Problem solved.

I have been running 384.10_2 on my RT-AC68U for like 2 weeks when yesterday something strange happened:
Devices both on LAN and WiFi were not able to resolve DNS addresses on internet.
I tried manually setting DNS server IP on desktop computer - did not help.
I was able to ping WAN addreses from LAN including freely available DNS server IPs.
Then i SSH to the router. I was able to ping WAN addresses using their IPs and DNS names. So it was not an ISP problem. Router as also able to connect to the DDNS server and update it's binding.
I have router port on my ONT, i connected my desktop there bypassing ASUS router and was able to use DNS names without any problems.
Router has no WAN access allowed, no SSH from the outside allowed. Admin does not use default name and has complicated password.
No special scripts running on the router, except for ledson and ledsoff scripts.
My only conclusion is that router for some reason had completely stopped forwarding DNS requests.
I was not doing any configurations on the router yesterday, last change was upgrade to 384.10_2 which i already mentioned.
Restarting router did not help. Then i went and reset router to factory defaults which helped but left me confused why did it happen.

I only have one idea which unfortunately i did not tried before resetting router - could it be related to the
"Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: Yes)" setting in "Tools/Other settings" section?
It was enabled. Could be that disabling this setting would've helped too?

Have the same issue, after latest update I have problem reaching a bunch of URL:s on all devices connected to the router. I only get this error message regardless of browser: "ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED". I can't even reach PayPal's website which is really annoying as I need to change some settings in my company account...
Any solution to this issue? And any idea why it is happening?

EDIT: I would rather not reset the router as I wont remember all settings and I don't have the technical skills to export and import them again after reset...

Wow...guess Im alittle behind on my firmware, Time for an update

Attachments

• Asus 87U.png
    Asus 87U.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 508
Have the same issue, after latest update I have problem reaching a bunch of URL:s on all devices connected to the router. I only get this error message regardless of browser: "ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED". I can't even reach PayPal's website which is really annoying as I need to change some settings in my company account...
Any solution to this issue? And any idea why it is happening?

EDIT: I would rather not reset the router as I wont remember all settings and I don't have the technical skills to export and import them again after reset...
The only way I know of to export the settings is to screenshot all the screens. :) I periodically do that anyways in case something goes wrong and I have to re-create my setup.

I noticed when reviewing the nvram show output, that there are some other variables in nvram that look similar, but don't have a number in them:

Code:
# nvram show 2>&1 | grep vpn_crt
vpn_crt_server_key=
vpn_crt_server_ca=
vpn_crt_client_key=
vpn_crt_server_dh=
vpn_crt_client_extra=
vpn_crt_server_ca_key=
vpn_crt_server_extra=
vpn_crt_server_client_crt=
vpn_crt_server_crl=
vpn_crt_server_crt=
vpn_crt_client_ca=
vpn_crt_client_static=
vpn_crt_client_crl=
vpn_crt_client_crt=
vpn_crt_server_static=
vpn_crt_server_client_key=

... should these also be cleared?

No. These are the primary uninstanced versions that get used by the webui. The instanced versions (those with numbers) are those that are no longer in use.

I have an RT-AC3200 and until end of march I ran with 384.6. I know that some versions were skipped. But as mentioned I upgraded to 384.10 and later 384.10_2. With these later versions I have had a lot of stability issues. The router just locks up for about 45 seconds several times a day – even the WIFI network disappears. I was watching some YouTube on my Smart TV which suddenly froze – then checked my phone and could see that it had no WIFI and was switched to 4G. After the 45 seconds everything returns to OK and mobile phone switches to WIFI again. I would not say that the issue happens at heavy network traffic – even at light ‘phone’ browsing it has happened.

I have been back on 384.9 which also has this issue but not as frequent as 384.10.

I have done ‘Factory resets’ after each update and re-entered my settings using a set of screenshots that I have for this purpose. My settings are quite ordinary – nothing special other than a few portforwardings and some specific set IP addresses.

I run Diversion and have installed John’s ‘NVRAM Save/Restore Utility’. But as already said earlier I have entered settings manual just to be sure. For USB I use a 16GB SanDisk Ultrafit mounted in a USB 2.0 port.

I’m now back on 384.6 to confirm the stability that I remember it was.

The only way I know of to export the settings is to screenshot all the screens. :) I periodically do that anyways in case something goes wrong and I have to re-create my setup.

Ha! That is what I used to do and still do sometimes[emoji23].....Although, I have to admit I have them all memorized by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an RT-AC3200 and until end of march I ran with 384.6. I know that some versions were skipped. But as mentioned I upgraded to 384.10 and later 384.10_2. With these later versions I have had a lot of stability issues. The router just locks up for about 45 seconds several times a day – even the WIFI network disappears. I was watching some YouTube on my Smart TV which suddenly froze – then checked my phone and could see that it had no WIFI and was switched to 4G. After the 45 seconds everything returns to OK and mobile phone switches to WIFI again. I would not say that the issue happens at heavy network traffic – even at light ‘phone’ browsing it has happened.

I have been back on 384.9 which also has this issue but not as frequent as 384.10.

I have done ‘Factory resets’ after each update and re-entered my settings using a set of screenshots that I have for this purpose. My settings are quite ordinary – nothing special other than a few portforwardings and some specific set IP addresses.

I run Diversion and have installed John’s ‘NVRAM Save/Restore Utility’. But as already said earlier I have entered settings manual just to be sure. For USB I use a 16GB SanDisk Ultrafit mounted in a USB 2.0 port.

I’m now back on 384.6 to confirm the stability that I remember it was.

How did you install the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility? That is very outdated and not recommended to be run on the latest firmware for a very long time now. Also, are you carrying over settings/files from Diversion? Do you also use amtm (recommended, by thelonelycoder)? How is the USB drive formatted? Are you using a swap file (via amtm)?

I would flash 384.10_2 or wait for 384.11 (which may be coming soon, because the Alpha's are so stable) and then, follow the M&M Config to get your router to a good/known state. Please see my signature below for the link and further details.

Your router needs to be fully reset, an overview of what I would do:
  • Save your data from the USB drive and from the jffs partition.
  • Format your USB drive on a PC with the NTFS file format. Do not put it back into the router yet.
  • Flash the firmware you want to use on it (latest is recommended).
  • Reset the router to factory defaults making sure to check the box that says 'Initialize all settings...' first.
  • Perform a temporary wizard setup and then unplug the power cable from the router (not from the ac wall socket).
  • Wait 2 minutes and then, holding down the WPS button, plug in the power and wait between 10 to 30 seconds and then release the WPS button. The router should boot up (maybe slow, be patient) to the setup wizard again if performed correctly. If it didn't, do this step until it does.
  • Do another temporary wizard setup and reflash the same firmware you want to use.
  • Complete one final temporary setup and reset the router to factory defaults making sure to select the 'Initialize all settings... ' box again.
  • Do not the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility. That is now past its due date.
  • Do not use a saved config file either. Manually and minimally configure the router, testing as you go.
Keep in mind that many old configuration options you may have used previously may no longer be needed. Updates to the features and its defaults change constantly. See what the results of the new default are and only change if there is an actual need.

At this point, do not introduce any customizations in a batch. Do one by one and test for everything you've set before adding/moving to the next one. When the router proves stable, continue with adding the USB drive (see below) and Diversion.

I would also suggest using the amtm Step-by-Step link in my signature to get your USB drive and amtm and Diversion properly installed.

With the above information, you should be able to get your router to a good/known state. Seems like it's not there right now.

@FireWire76 sorry, i don't have anything better to suggest besides taking screenshots of router pages. Of course you can copy-paste necessary information and save it to the text file to make restoration of config faster.

P.S. Latest RT-AC68U firmware from ASUS, 3.0.0.4.384.45713 released 11th of April has the fix for the problem people complained about:
- Fixed the problem which causes lots of SQUASHFS error in system log.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!