What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FYI - I've had 384.10_2 running since its release with no significant issues. However I did encounter one incident I have never encountered with any Merlin release before. I rebooted the router from the Main GUI page and after shutting down, it failed to reboot. All LEDs on the 86U turned off (as expected during reboot), but never came back on. I waited for the reboot countdown to complete in my browser, but no response from the router afterwards. I had to power-cycle to get it to reboot.

Just thought I'd mention it.

J.S.

FYI - I've had 384.10_2 running since its release with no significant issues. However I did encounter one incident I have never encountered with any Merlin release before. I rebooted the router from the Main GUI page and after shutting down, it failed to reboot. All LEDs on the 86U turned off (as expected during reboot), but never came back on. I waited for the reboot countdown to complete in my browser, but no response from the router afterwards. I had to power-cycle to get it to reboot.

J.S.
This is a known issue with this router. Happened to mine a few times too. In the meantime I sold it and moved on to an RT-AX88U.

J.S.
Yes, as Mutzli says, know issue first reported Aug. 12, 2018.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/

RMerlin has looked at it, but found nothing. There is a related webGUI reboot fix coming in 384.11 that he suggests *might* fix it, or at least make it better.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...10-is-now-available.55742/page-31#post-479238
That has been discussed in other threads. We will have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips!

How did you install the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility? That is very outdated and not recommended
The files are just placed in a folder on the USB disk, but as mentioned I did set the router up manually.
Also, are you carrying over settings/files from Diversion?
I delete the entire entware folder and install from scratch.
Do you also use amtm (recommended, by thelonelycoder)?
No
How is the USB drive formatted?
Ext3
Are you using a swap file (via amtm)?
No

I'm now back on 384.10_2 and did the unplug cable thing and held down WPS button until the power led flickers rapidly and reflashed the router again. Right now i'm not running Diversion. So far the router has been stable.

I will look at amtm.

Thanks very much.

Thanks for the tips!

The files are just placed in a folder on the USB disk, but as mentioned I did set the router up manually.
I delete the entire entware folder and install from scratch.
No
Ext3
No

I'm now back on 384.10_2 and did the unplug cable thing and held down WPS button until the power led flickers rapidly and reflashed the router again. Right now i'm not running Diversion. So far the router has been stable.

I will look at amtm.

Thanks very much.

You are very welcome. :)

Be sure to use amtm to format and install all these scripts too. It isn't just a pretty face! There is a brainiac behind the looks. :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/page-2#post-483783

Use the amtm Step-by-Step guide by going through the link in my signature below and you'll be experimenting with even more scripts soon. :)

This is a known issue with this router. Happened to mine a few times too. In the meantime I sold it and moved on to an RT-AX88U.
Thanks. Don't think I'll sell mine. This is the first (and only) time it happened to me since I got it (when the 86U was first released).

Yes, as Mutzli says, know issue first reported Aug. 12, 2018.
This issue is much much older and started (first time seen) when I purchased this router in 2017!!!
Reported it here some times but has been ignored as others didnt have it.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac86u-stays-off-during-scheduled-reboot.47980/#post-420109
sent feedback months ago: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ly-off-during-reboot.48296/page-2#post-423242
and on RT-AC68U too: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-5-is-now-available.46575/page-25#post-408701

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin,

I am having issues with 384.10_2 on my RT-87u where my wireless 5GHz disconnects every couple of hours complaining about missing IP addresses.

Only way to resolve is to reboot the router

Make sure your DHCP server is configured to provide a large enough number of IP addresses.

Too little addresses, give more space.
If some are reserved, they will not be assigned, and result - no free IP addresses

Keep in mind that leases are still allocated until they fully expire even if a client disconnects, so there might be some overlap there causing more IPs to be assigned at the same time.

I had a similar issue years ago in my workshop, when I was building 10 new PCs for a customer. Our office's DHCP server didn't take into account that I would be plugging/unplugging these 10 new PCs one after another (on top of other repair jobs), resulting in 10 leases being allocated for a full 24 hours. I ran out of IPs at one point, had to increase the size of the DHCP pool...

Hi

I have a scope of 30 addresses from 10.27.43.2 - 30 and the maximum number of devices within my household are 12 devices.

Any other suggestions -
Just seen a firmware update pop up on the router to 384.11 will give that a go later when I get home from work

Try leaving the scope as it is and simply go and reserve the addresses instead. ;)

You can reserve the address outside of the DHCP scope (though it is not recommended, it is what I have done and used for years) or you can reserve them within the DHCP scope you've assigned.

Either way, you can keep a small DHCP scope and still not run out of addresses, at least not for your most used devices. :)

Before upgrading my RT-AX88U from V384.10_2, just wanted to report that it has been one of the most stable releases I have used (as I normally firmware upgrade my router on a regular basis), but this time I decided to let it run for a while, and the uptime is currently 37 days 21 hours 50 minutes, and still going strong, thank you Merlin!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!