What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Indeed, the “noob blackbox” aproach isn’t helping anyone.
It’s just a linuxpc, nothing magical about it.
Just reset via the option in the backup/restore menu
You”ll know your router is in virgin mode once you see the unprotected network and configuration assistant. Everything is back to default by then, no persistent flags anywhere.

This so called Unclear Reset is the ultimate waste of time. I know what's inside the routers at component level and how it works as electronics. Half of the entire "procedure" is completely unnecessary and does the same thing initiated in a different way. Also recommendations to wait 5 min, 10 min, 1 hour and so on are waste of time steps. I can guarantee no electrons are flowing in any direction inside the router 60 seconds after power cord is unplugged. If a router doesn't perform normally after normal reset procedure, then this device has a hardware issue and chances to fix it after Nuclear Reset, Deep Freezing or Casting Spells are minimal. The device just has to be replaced. Routers fail for different reasons and have to be replaced like any other electronic device.

Should NTP be advertised on IPv6 over DHCP? I added it via dnsmasq.postconf
Code:
echo 'dhcp-option=option6:ntp-server,[::]' >> "$1"
Just curious if it got forgotten or there is a reason not to have it.

I see a trend here on SNB to recommend a reset for almost everything without even trying to help the user by asking the right questions. Just reset and start over is a wrong recommendation without identifying the issue in the first place. It sounds to me like "buddy, we are pros here, don't bother us with your stuff, just start over". I see reset recommendations in every thread now, no matter what the issue is.

Unfortunately the forum is turning into a 1st line tech support help line. Reads from a script "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

This so called Nuclear Reset is the ultimate waste of time. I know what's inside the routers at component level and how it works as electronics. Half of the entire "procedure" is completely unnecessary and does the same thing initiated in a different way. Also recommendations to wait 5 min, 10 min, 1 hour and so on are waste of time steps. I can guarantee no electrons are flowing in any direction inside the router 60 seconds after power cord is unplugged. If a router doesn't perform normally after normal reset procedure, then this device has a hardware issue and chances to fix it after Nuclear Reset, Deep Freezing or Casting Spells are minimal. The device just has to be replaced. Routers fail for different reasons and have to be replaced like any other electronic device.
But did you make the blood scacrafice to the technology gods :p:p:p

I've often wondered on a serious not how many devices failed due to faulty factory firmware.

Also I believe the idea is to eliminate the possibility of a bad configuration or any lingering issues from past firmware giving it a clean base.

Code:
I do not believe it is supported.

Hey bud was that added in the dnsmasq.conf.add file or elsewhere?
Yes, dnsmasq.conf.add

Am pleased that upgrade from beta 1 to beta 2 to final went without messing with my stubby and dnsmasq configurations.

Also read somewhere about changing stubby timeout to make some resolvers, like Quad9, more reliable. Any comments?

Will reserve comment on the extreme reset procedures...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Yes, dnsmasq.conf.add

Am pleased that upgrade from beta 1 to beta 2 to final went without messing with my stubby and dnsmasq configurations.

Also read somewhere about changing stubby timeout to make some resolvers, like Quad9, more reliable. Any comments?

Will reserve comment on the extreme reset procedures...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
I was reducing idle_timeout to 1500 with Quad9 but eventually gave up.

stubby.postconf:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
CONFIG=$1

pc_replace "idle_timeout: 9000" "idle_timeout: 1500" $CONFIG

This would be nice!

This so called Nuclear Reset is the ultimate waste of time. I know what's inside the routers at component level and how it works as electronics. Half of the entire "procedure" is completely unnecessary and does the same thing initiated in a different way. Also recommendations to wait 5 min, 10 min, 1 hour and so on are waste of time steps. I can guarantee no electrons are flowing in any direction inside the router 60 seconds after power cord is unplugged. If a router doesn't perform normally after normal reset procedure, then this device has a hardware issue and chances to fix it after Nuclear Reset, Deep Freezing or Casting Spells are minimal. The device just has to be replaced. Routers fail for different reasons and have to be replaced like any other electronic device.
But what about those pesky little capacitors holding a charge for several minutes? ;)

I see @themiron has been busy... what are we looking forward to seeing in future releases with these type of changes as far as dnssec behavior goes?
upload_2019-6-23_20-24-15.png

But RMerlin has recommended on these forums, several times, a power cycle to complete an electrical reset. Just search ‘unplug’ and RMerlin as the author. So it’s obvious there are certain scenarios that this might help the end user. It can’t hurt.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/spontaneous-reboot-should-i-be-worried.50139/#post-447486

Only when the power supply is unplugged from the wall. Not needed if the power cord is unplugged from the router.

But what about those pesky little capacitors holding a charge for several minutes? ;)

Inside our router we have little capacitors indeed and they don't hold the charge for several minutes. None of them.

Only when the power supply is unplugged from the wall. Not needed if the power cord is unplugged from the router.

Inside our router we have little capacitors indeed and they don't hold the charge for several minutes. None of them.
the only thing i noticed that really needs unplugging from time to time is a modem itself, with certain isp and conditions, but the router, you would unplug it in conjunction to make sure it is not feeding anything to said modem. The only times you should be waiting to do anything is if you are waiting for the modem to get refresh, or if you are waiting for router to finish boot process and calm down for the most minimum strain when flashing or factory resetting, or you can simply reset from the outside WPS or Reset button.

the only thing i noticed that really needs unplugging from time to time is a modem itself, with certain isp and conditions, but the router, you would unplug it in conjunction to make sure it is not feeding anything to said modem. The only times you should be waiting to do anything is if you are waiting for the modem to get refresh, or if you are waiting for router to finish boot process and calm down for the most minimum strain when flashing or factory resetting, or you can simply reset from the outside WPS or Reset button.

Correct.

- turn off the router and the modem
- turn on the modem and wait for it to establish the connection with ISP
- turn on the router ant wait for it to boot and restore the network

If the modem doesn't work properly, reset and configure manually again (just turn it into a bridge in most cases).
If the router doesn't work properly, software or hardware reset (GUI or reset button). Both do exactly the same thing.

If you know your configuration file is good, restore settings on the router and forget about it.
If you are not sure about router configuration, restore manually your network following the manufacturer's step-by-step guide, leave most settings at default values and stop playing with the router.

Last edited:
Correct.

- turn off the router and the modem
- turn on the modem and wait for it to establish the connection with ISP
- turn on the router ant wait for it to boot and restore the network

If the modem doesn't work properly, reset and configure manually again (just turn it into a bridge in most cases).
If the router doesn't work properly, software or hardware reset (GUI or reset button). Both do exactly the same thing.

If you know your configuration file is good, restore settings on the router and forget about it.
If you are not sure about router configuration, restore manually your network, leave most settings at default values and stop playing with the router.
The main number 1 thing people should only restore config file in relation to the version of firmware they are using, and only save a config if it was in a known good state. simply restoring from a config while the router was acting bonkers is a bad idea and using a config file from x version ago may spell bad doom too depending on the type of changes made in between firmwares.

All the other stuff is pretty much test and figure out for yourself as far as settings go. what works for one person may not work for another as far a configuration manually.

The main number 1 thing people should only restore config file in relation to the version of firmware they are using, and only save a config if it was in a known good state.

Restore works very well between minor updates of the same firmware version. From 384.x to 384.x, for example. Tested multiple times, never failed. I just follow the rule to restore from a file created with the older firmware version.

It's a good idea to keep a "clean" restore file without any crazy settings customization. This file will contain your basic network setup - Router User/Pass, Network IPs, SSID names, WiFi security, WiFi channels, DHCP reservation list, Port Forwarding list, etc. Every firmware version has those settings and they rarely change. Saves a lot of time and gives you a jump start to fine tune the new options coming with the newer firmware.

Recently upgraded an RT-AC68U with 384.12 from 384.11_2. I had setup guest networks for both 2.4 and 5 GHz prior to upgrading. After the upgrade, my Smart Plugs (one is a Belkin wemo and the other is a TP-Link HS105) could no longer access the 2.4 GHz guest network. Disabling the guest networks and then re-enabling them fixed the issue but it took me a while to figure it out. Don't know if this is known behavior with guest networks.

Code:

Typical LAN setups use RA rather than DHCP. Not sure if there's a RA equivalent.

IPv6 redirections are not supported, NTP works fine using IPv6.

The dnsmasq option has nothing to do with redirection, it actually instructs clients about the IP address to use for NTP, provided that the client listens to that option (AFAIK, very few clients do).

But what about those pesky little capacitors holding a charge for several minutes?

That's why my instructions specifically say you have to turn the router on a few seconds with the power unplugged. That will drain any residual charge.

The reason why I recommend this exact method is that over the years, I've revived could a few "dead" laptops (remove battery, unplug power, turn on, put back power + battery, turn on normally), as well as a few dead USB ports on PCs by using this procedure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!