What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So, I just tested again, with screenshots, as you can see same server and downstream performance is nearly halved with DOT servers on (both Cloudfare and Cloud-9)
I don't want to rathole about symantecs that name servers should not affect download performance, I AGREE, but reality is that they are involved continuously during the process and that involvement affects performance. I would encourage you to test it yourself as well. Maybe the difference isn't there for North American users, but for me in the Netherlands it's huge. Not worth the round trip.
Yea I would stick away from it as well if it hindered my performance. You should do a comparison test with DoH client and see if it effects your speeds this much as well.

So, I just tested again, with screenshots, as you can see same server and downstream performance is nearly halved with DOT servers on (both Cloudfare and Cloud-9)
I don't want to rathole about symantecs that name servers should not affect download performance, I AGREE, but reality is that they are involved continuously during the process and that involvement affects performance. I would encourage you to test it yourself as well. Maybe the difference isn't there for North American users, but for me in the Netherlands it's huge. Not worth the round trip.

Same Ziggo provider. Reproduced your settings with no different outcome in download speeds with DoT enabled or disabled. In my case I have the 50/5 speeds, within your scenario my speeds would be 25 or 30+ something, but that is not the case. I still have the 50/5 when DoT enabled or disabled. Something else is hand breaking your speeds. Try a clean install with NO AI Stuff or QOS to test, just set a minimum to cover recourses. My 2 cents.

how was the overall performance, did you see pickups in performance, due to smb1 being turned off?
Did not test performance. Only my NAS is wired to the router as I have removed the cable mess in prep to sell the house.
My NAS does not show in a Windows browse but is reachable via UNC name or IP. I have SMB turned off on the router as my goal is to run the router sans USB drive. With 384.12 I am there!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Yep, like I said do a Factory Reset, and I am pretty sure all will work as intended. Especially after @Sonyrolfy not having issues...

Update over b2 worked without any bigger issues. The only minor problem I encountered, I lost all of my QoS setting. All settings where set back to their default values. This happened on both routers after updating.

RT-AC86U firmware upgraded from 384.11_2 to 384.12 with no issues. First shot over WiFi.

This router was never reset for >12 months and the firmware was upgraded multiple times with no issues. Running on Asuswrt-Merlin since day one. I don't know why some people always recommend reset/nuke/bleach/sandblast :) routers all the time. Based on my experience, reset and manual setup is needed only when the router wasn't configured properly the first time and the configuration errors are carried over to the new firmware updates.

After playing and playing: I have found that on my AX88U, if I enable the ntpd-server and set it to intercept ntp traffic, and then reboot, the boot process is stalled, by the ntp update not happening yet. The system gets an IP and all that but has no time set at this point. If I wait it will set the time, eventually, and any time critical features seem to restart ok. Something is broken with the new ntpd-server feature on this model router.:(

RT-AC86U firmware upgraded from 384.11_2 to 384.12 with no issues. First shot over WiFi.

This router was never reset for >12 months and the firmware was upgraded multiple times with no issues. Running on Asuswrt-Merlin since day one. I don't know why some people always recommend reset/nuke/bleach/sandblast :) routers all the time. Based on my experience, reset and manual setup is needed only when the router wasn't configured properly the first time and the configuration errors are carried over to the new firmware updates.
I've been doing the dirty upgrade as well for awhile but I believe when others have a unique issue that others can't pinpoint and it seems to be just one person then a reset is recommend. It would probably be faster for that person to start over with a good known config then have to go on a wild goose chase tracking down something specific to their router.

Anyone else noticed their System Log page slow to load? Haven't really noticed it before honestly as I rarely found a reason to go in there lately. It does load which I assume is due to the log being so big?? Using UiScribe as well so gonna post in their as well. Uninstalling it didn't make a difference though.

Anyone else noticed their System Log page slow to load? Haven't really noticed it before honestly as I rarely found a reason to go in there lately. It does load which I assume is due to the log being so big?? Using UiScribe as well so gonna post in their as well. Uninstalling it didn't make a difference though.
Clear browser cache?

I've been doing the dirty upgrade as well for awhile but I believe when others have a unique issue that others can't pinpoint and it seems to be just one person then a reset is recommend.

And after the reset this same person will most likely do exactly the same configuration errors like before.

After playing and playing: I have found that on my AX88U, if I enable the ntpd-server and set it to intercept ntp traffic, and then reboot, the boot process is stalled, by the ntp update not happening yet. The system gets an IP and all that but has no time set at this point. If I wait it will set the time, eventually, and any time critical features seem to restart ok. Something is broken with the new ntpd-server feature on this model router.:(
You might try this in dnsmasq.add (from the Stubby "old" days)
Code:
server=/pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1

And after the reset this same person will most likely do exactly the same configuration errors like before.
Possibly, but the config steps say to set it up one step at a time testing it instead of putting it all back to the way it was in the first go. Time consuming I know, but so is typing and asking for help from people who know nothing about your setup.

Agreed. I've never had to pull any of the El Destructo moves that are recommended here with some frequency. I don't use a lot of the fancy features people talk about here. Perhaps that has something to do with it. I do use all the DNS security features, most recently DNS over TLS, with no problems. AiProtection with no problems. I've never lost my wireless bands or my WAN.

Possibly, but the config steps say to set it up one step at a time testing it instead of putting it all back to the way it was in the first go. Time consuming I know, but so is typing and asking for help from people who know nothing about your setup.

In my opinion router reset is needed only in very few situations when something went completely wrong and the router is not communicating and is not accessible. I see a trend here on SNB to recommend a reset for almost everything without even trying to help the user by asking the right questions. Just reset and start over is a wrong recommendation without identifying the issue in the first place. It sounds to me like "buddy, we are pros here, don't bother us with your stuff, just start over". I see reset recommendations in every thread now, no matter what the issue is.

Clear browser cache?
Did't help or trying different browser. Posted in UiScribe thread and it was suggested to logrotate the larger log files which I believe is the culprit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!