What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here is the entire log from when I tried a restart of the server. Other entries mixed in are the result of Skynet blocking certain IPs. MAC address have been partially erased for security.

Go further back in your log, you need to locate the place where the following service requests were first issued:

Code:
restart_chpass;restart_vpnserver1

These two requests haven't returned according to the log you pasted, but it doesn't show when they were actually issued.

Then I don't know what's wrong with your setup. I just tested it on my own RT-AC86U, and no issue here. You could check your browser console for any Javascript error that might indicate a problem with that page.

Check on your Tools -> Sysinfo page, the Features section should list the "update" flag (they are in alphabetical order).
I don't know if this is relevant, but on my AC88U with your latest firmware, clicking the Check button on the Administration - Firmware Upgrade page takes me here:

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC88U/HelpDesk_Download/

Before installing 384.12 I performed a "nuclear reset" on my AC86.

Had to do a factory reset and start over and get the VPN clients going again.

You needed to do a final factory reset because you should have first flashed 384.12_0 before doing the nuclear reset. :)

I did the nuc before and after I installed 384.12 plus a couple of restore to defaults.

So less than 2 days after I updated from 384.11_2 to 384.12, my Sony TV completely crashed and was unresponsive (I had to pull the plug). While checking things out I noticed that there was constantly around 320 TIME_WAIT TCP connections from the T to port 8200 (UPnP Media Server) on the router. To get that many TIME_WAIT connections constantly, the TV would have to be making tons of connections a second to the router. Anyway, I turned off the UPnP media server on the router since I don't use the router as a media server and those dropped to 0. On a side note, I can't do this in iOS since the toggle does nothing in Safari, Chrome, etc.

The other port with lots of TIME_WAIT status connections is the port miniupnpd is listening on. That has 115 TIME_WAIT connections between all my devices (not just the TV).

Is it normal for there to be that many connections between devices on port 8200? How about the upnpd port?

Also what is the TIME_WAIT timeout time?

Last edited:
Are you running the freshjr script?

And agree that UI element needs a visual upgrade.
Nope, I haven't been following development regularly aside from checking out the changelogs, testing betas and learning how to setup things more securely.

I remember reading about some QoS scripts a while back. Definitely interested and want to catch up on development, I'll go check out FreshJR and Skynet.

Last edited:
Hi....
Updated my RT-AC87U, and now when my OpenVPN Client tries to connect to Purevpn server (UDP) is says TLS Handshake failed, when I switch to TCP it still works...
SO is the related to 384.12 or does Purevpn need to update their servers ?

Best regards Jubaz

Hi....
Updated my RT-AC87U, and now when my OpenVPN Client tries to connect to Purevpn server (UDP) is says TLS Handshake failed, when I switch to TCP it still works...
SO is the related to 384.12 or does Purevpn need to update their servers ?

Best regards Jubaz

I never could get UDP working with PureVPN on the RT-AC86U, also with older firmware, with NordVPN I never had that problem. Btw I stopped using PureVPN because I got security notifications in AIProtection, contacted them about it a couple of times and they claim to block all inbound traffic by default and that ended there. I switched to GooseVPN and NordVPN and never had those notifications again.

I have a strange issue, that may be no fault of the 384.12 firmware, but bear with me non the less. We recently moved into a new house, and to my amazement the previous owner has installed networking cables in the walls. One from the fiber modem to the attic (router placed here), then down to all 3 floors (switch on each floor if needed). It is very unlikely that he installed CAT 5 due to those cables' age, and when asked, he ment that the cables were cat 5e or 6. It is unlikely that he made the mistake of installing a CAT 5 cable when doing the home networking.

My issue:
WAN connection on AC86u only showing 100 Mbps - not 1 gigabit.

Reason:
1) Old cable? Will take some days before I can test the cable by borrowing proper network engineer equipment - but this is a possible, but unlikely, culprit.
2) Might there be an error on the software side of the AC86u? Full duplex on the port or something strange that has happened? Is there a way to verify that the WAN port on the AC86u is set to gigabit?

I did not do the nuke, but I did factory reset. This was a brand new AC86u.

Attachments

• Merknad 2019-06-26 130157.png
    Merknad 2019-06-26 130157.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Hi, just bring the router where the modem is and do a direct connection with a known good cat5e or cat6 cable and you will know if the problem is caused by the cable in the wall or another thing.. Note that this could be caused also by a too long cable, too many closed turns with the cabling, or even a bad ground or interference degrading the signal.

I have a strange issue, that may be no fault of the 384.12 firmware, but bear with me non the less. We recently moved into a new house, and to my amazement the previous owner has installed networking cables in the walls. One from the fiber modem to the attic (router placed here), then down to all 3 floors (switch on each floor if needed). It is very unlikely that he installed CAT 5 due to those cables' age, and when asked, he ment that the cables were cat 5e or 6. It is unlikely that he made the mistake of installing a CAT 5 cable when doing the home networking.

My issue:
WAN connection on AC86u only showing 100 Mbps - not 1 gigabit.

Reason:
1) Old cable? Will take some days before I can test the cable by borrowing proper network engineer equipment - but this is a possible, but unlikely, culprit.
2) Might there be an error on the software side of the AC86u? Full duplex on the port or something strange that has happened? Is there a way to verify that the WAN port on the AC86u is set to gigabit?

I did not do the nuke, but I did factory reset. This was a brand new AC86u.
Quick test - take the router to the modem and connect with known good patch cable. Then check the WAN connection. If it works at 1 GB, recrimp the cable connector to TIA/EIA 586B at each end.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Quick test - take the router to the modem and connect with known good patch cable. Then check the WAN connection. If it works at 1 GB, recrimp the cable connector to TIA/EIA 586B at each end.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Should that be TIA/EIA 568B ? ;)

Nice suggestion. Doing that does yield a gigabit connection. So I guess recrimping it its!?

I'm an old dude with an RT-AC88u on 380.65. How much trouble should I expect upgrading dirty. I'll probably have an AX88u by the end of the week and figured I'd give it a go. With the wife-unit squawking so much with me 'experimenting' with the router, I adopted the "if it aint broke" mentality for home harmony. Cheers y'all!

I'm an old dude with an RT-AC88u on 380.65. How much trouble should I expect upgrading dirty. I'll probably have an AX88u by the end of the week and figured I'd give it a go. With the wife-unit squawking so much with me 'experimenting' with the router, I adopted the "if it aint broke" mentality for home harmony. Cheers y'all!

I'm pretty sure it is IMPOSSIBLE to "dirty upgrade" a 380.65 firmware (or any 380.xx) to 384.12 (or any 384.xx).

I'm pretty sure it is IMPOSSIBLE to "dirty upgrade" a 380.65 firmware (or any 380.xx) to 384.12 (or any 384.xx).
I have to agree, that's a pretty good jump firmware wise.

You needed to do a final factory reset because you should have first flashed 384.12_0 before doing the nuclear reset. :)
I just repeated the process today.
1. Nuclear reset complete
2. Reinstalled 384.12
3.Nuclear reset complete
4. Reentered all settings manually

Still can't get the VPN server running.

Factory reset, revert to 384.11_2, Nuclear reset, enter all setting manually

By Nuclear reset complete I mean all steps in your detailed process starting with NVRAM erase through multiple reboots.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!