What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just repeated the process today.
1. Nuclear reset complete
2. Reinstalled 384.12
3.Nuclear reset complete
4. Reentered all settings manually

Still can't get the VPN server running.

Factory reset, revert to 384.11_2, Nuclear reset, enter all setting manually

By Nuclear reset complete I mean all steps in your detailed process starting with NVRAM erase through multiple reboots.

Hi,

Had trouble connecting to the ovpn server on 384.12 beta 2.

Got help, and what solved it on beta 2 was that I had to set compression to LZO Adaptive.

Then when I upgraded to 384.12 stable, my vpn wouldn't connect again. After a lot of trying without any luck, I defaulted the ovpn server, booted the router, and tried again. This time I made no change what so ever to the ovpn settings, left all at default, and then it connected again.

Not sure if it is recommended to use the ovpn server with everything at default, but I was tired of struggling with my remote connection and haven't had the time to investigate further…. but maybe it's worth a try I you just need it up and running...

Any tips on whats the recommended ovpn setup on Merlin fw would be appreciated….

Edit: I also turned off wan->Virtual server / Port forwarding-> Enable Port Forwarding… Which I had set for ovpn 1194 and 1195

After three days, FW 384.12 is working nicely here:D.

The only very minor minor glitch I have seen is that although the network map is now working properly, showing the Wifi 5GHz connections in my RT AC87U , I have found that in the "Tools - System Information-Sysinfo" page the following appears:
upload_2019-6-26_19-27-56.png

There 3 clients associated, but it shows "Associated off". They are correctly shown in the wireless register and in network map.
Nothing important anyway. The RAM used has increased in 6-7 MB, maybe related with the Aiprotection now reporting again the events?

Sure. Early morning fumble fingers?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

There was an error with my modem from my ISP, so they did a reset and all of a sudden; 1 gigabyte WAN connection .

I just dont understand it, I tried connecting laptop to router over the same wan cable and only got 100 Mbps. The only thing I can think of is that it takes some time for the AC86 to refresh the networking interface - and I was too quick when I looked.

After three days, FW 384.12 is working nicely here:D.

The only very minor minor glitch I have seen is that although the network map is now working properly, showing the Wifi 5GHz connections in my RT AC87U , I have found that in the "Tools - System Information-Sysinfo" page the following appears:
View attachment 18417
There 3 clients associated, but it shows "Associated off". They are correctly shown in the wireless register and in network map.
Nothing important anyway. The RAM used has increased in 6-7 MB, maybe related with the Aiprotection now reporting again the events?
Our Router has a rather unique HW design, so RMerlin would have to adapt that part just for this model to be able to show it correctly (if possible!)...

Hi,

Had trouble connecting to the ovpn server on 384.12 beta 2.

Got help, and what solved it on beta 2 was that I had to set compression to LZO Adaptive.

Then when I upgraded to 384.12 stable, my vpn wouldn't connect again. After a lot of trying without any luck, I defaulted the ovpn server, booted the router, and tried again. This time I made no change what so ever to the ovpn settings, left all at default, and then it connected again.

Not sure if it is recommended to use the ovpn server with everything at default, but I was tired of struggling with my remote connection and haven't had the time to investigate further…. but maybe it's worth a try I you just need it up and running...

Any tips on whats the recommended ovpn setup on Merlin fw would be appreciated….

Edit: I also turned off wan->Virtual server / Port forwarding-> Enable Port Forwarding… Which I had set for ovpn 1194 and 1195

Thanks for your suggestions. Believe me I tried what you recommended and lots of other options. So many in fact that I put the router in such a bad state that I had to do a full reset. Finally gave up and reverted to 11_2 and saved settings file where everything including the VPN server were working. Bingo right from the reboot the VPN server was up and running.

I have given up on running Skynet however as it seems to cause problems for me with the Iptables and IPconfiguration and when this happens all kinds of odd things start happening.

I will try to update to 12_0 when the commander in chief is out of the house because she has threatened to kick the stool out from under me if she catches me climbing up to reset the router again.

Our Router has a rather unique HW design, so RMerlin would have to adapt that part just for this model to be able to show it correctly (if possible!)...
Having the WIFI 5GHz clients correctly shown in the network map after so many time doing it wrongly, I am pretty happy!!!!.
The work RMerlin is doing with our router is fantastic :).

Having the WIFI 5GHz clients correctly shown in the network map after so many time doing it wrongly, I am more than enough happy!!!!
I agree, finally!

The "Tools" section is made by RMerlin;)

Last edited:
Is the check firmware update feature broken? I've noticed that in the last 2 releases, it doesn't tell you if you have the latest RMerlin firmware when u click on the check update tab - instead it opens up a stock Asus page.

What happened with this feature?

I was on 384.11_2, and had the same thing happen to me. Said new firmware was available, and took me to the ASUS site for their latest version.

I'm now on 384.12, so we'll see if the issue persists when the next version is available...

So less than 2 days after I updated from 384.11_2 to 384.12, my Sony TV completely crashed and was unresponsive (I had to pull the plug). While checking things out I noticed that there was constantly around 320 TIME_WAIT TCP connections from the T to port 8200 (UPnP Media Server) on the router. To get that many TIME_WAIT connections constantly, the TV would have to be making tons of connections a second to the router. Anyway, I turned off the UPnP media server on the router since I don't use the router as a media server and those dropped to 0. On a side note, I can't do this in iOS since the toggle does nothing in Safari, Chrome, etc.

The other port with lots of TIME_WAIT status connections is the port miniupnpd is listening on. That has 115 TIME_WAIT connections between all my devices (not just the TV).

Is it normal for there to be that many connections between devices on port 8200? How about the upnpd port?

Also what is the TIME_WAIT timeout time?
I agree...
There is a serious glitch in UPnP media server or Samba processes (see earlier post). It caused errors in my shared disc and started a closed loop that locked up/crashed the router and required a hard router reset. Without the shared media drive (8 TB), all is well. It will not boot without lockup if the usb 3 disc is plugged in, nor will it read the drive successfully after boot. CPU load goes to 100% and never recovers.
Here is the original write up from page 4 (#78):

So, I tried to do my usual dirty upgrade on my RT-AC5300. It totally failed to accommodate my 8 TB media drive. It caused all sorts of problems, but ultimately failed to mount. These were the log entries, after I had tried every usual solution:

Jun 22 14:41:26 kernel: b_state=0x00000020, b_size=512
Jun 22 14:41:26 kernel: device blocksize: 512
Jun 22 14:41:26 kernel: __find_get_block_slow() failed. block=4766297888, b_blocknr=471330592
Jun 22 14:41:26 kernel: b_state=0x00000020, b_size=512
Jun 22 14:41:26 kernel: device blocksize: 512

This repeated over and over, tying up all the CPU assets (100%). Memory use peaked at 94%, then after 8 minutes, fell to 44% and stable.
Something about the usb change for Windows problems in reading the drive (in some cases, not mine) seems to have really hosed the operating software.

If I left the media drive unplugged, all was well with the system thumb drive in the usb 2.0 slot. I am going to roll back to see if that solves the problem. More shortly...

So, I rolled back to beta 2. After boot, the media drive showed as having a system error. Upon scanning the drive, this was the error message:
MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might have been created incorrectly.

I repaired the drive, deleted all ASUS router written files/folders, played media from the drive, scanned it again (just to be sure), and all was well. I then tried it again with the software update with the same result and the same endless error message.

Again, the router is fine without the large media drive attached.

Last edited:
I was on 384.11_2, and had the same thing happen to me. Said new firmware was available, and took me to the ASUS site for their latest version.

I'm now on 384.12, so we'll see if the issue persists when the next version is available...

I think Rmerlin has already solved it in Github, so probably next release will have it corrected.

I just repeated the process today.
1. Nuclear reset complete
2. Reinstalled 384.12
3.Nuclear reset complete
4. Reentered all settings manually

Still can't get the VPN server running.

Factory reset, revert to 384.11_2, Nuclear reset, enter all setting manually

By Nuclear reset complete I mean all steps in your detailed process starting with NVRAM erase through multiple reboots.

Can you let me know what router model you have again, thanks? :)

The only thing I can think to ask so early here is this. Does the VPN server not start at all, even with all default settings? Or, are you using a custom VPN configuration that isn't working now?

Watch it when you're up on that stool resetting the router next time! :)

I will try to update to 12_0 when the commander in chief is out of the house because she has threatened to kick the stool out from under me if she catches me climbing up to reset the router again.

You too, eh?

Wonder if anyone cann help? I have been runing FW .12 since alpha, now running release .12 on my AX88U.
Been sweet up to now, but I am having intermittent isues with some websites failing to resolve. Sometimes I have to hit the reload button a few times then the site is reachable, other times it loads straight away.

I have turned off DoT, DNSSEC and now just use OpenDNS as my primary and secondary DNS entries, but the intermittend issue remains.

I know Mr Bond, AKA L&LD, will ask me to reset the router and undertake a M&M install which I am fully prepared to do if really needed, but just wondered if there might be other avenues to expore first.

Thanks.

Wonder if anyone cann help? I have been runing FW .12 since alpha, now running release .12 on my AX88U.
Been sweet up to now, but I am having intermittent isues with some websites failing to resolve. Sometimes I have to hit the reload button a few times then the site is reachable, other times it loads straight away.

I have turned off DoT, DNSSEC and now just use OpenDNS as my primary and secondary DNS entries, but the intermittend issue remains.

I know Mr Bond, AKA L&LD, will ask me to reset the router and undertake a M&M install which I am fully prepared to do if really needed, but just wondered if there might be other avenues to expore first.

Thanks.
Try another DNS resolver, this is probably not router related (and maybe also your Firewall/AV settings...)

Thanks.

Thank you for that! :)

I too have seen this issue and will be doing my own Nuclear Reset to see if anything improves (possibly this weekend).

Did you do a reboot after making any changes, and then waiting at least 10 minutes after the router came back up before testing it again?

Yes. I have now swaped to Quad9 from CloudFlare, re-enabled DoT and rebooted.

Let's see what happens.

FYI: I only swapped to OpenDNS when I disabled DNSSEC as a test.

UPDATE:

Still happening

Last edited:
Yes. I have now swaped to Quad9 from CloudFlare, re-enabled DoT and rebooted.

Let's see whhat happens.

FYI: I only swapped to OpenDNS when I disabled DNSSEC as a test.
This sounds like the issues I had with DoT and Quad9 when the idle_timeout was too high and the Quad9 servers were shutting the connection early, requiring a new connection setup with the next query.

You can experiment with changing the idle_timeout to a lower value in stubby.postconf. I just decided to give up on a DoT for now since I prefer OpenDNS for family reasons.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!