What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15 (and 384.13_4) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15 and 384.13_4 (for RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200) are now available. While these two releases contain few changes, the focus was on implementing a standard way for third party developers to implement and manage new features. This is accomplished in three ways:

1) Third party devs can now more easily add new pages to the webui (up to a maximum of 10 pages total are supported by the firmware), in any of the desired tabs
2) There is a settings repository, separate from nvram, which allows devs to add and store new settings, both from shell script and web pages
3) The Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu (amtm) by thelonelycoder has been integrated in the firmware image, allowing users to more easily install/remove most popular addons, like Diversion or Skynet.

The documentation to the official addons API can be found on the Wiki: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Addons-API

The documentation for AMTM can be found here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/AMTM

Also note that due to the increasing differences between the 382 code used by the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200 and this firmware's 384 code, these two models are currently basically on "life support". The 384.13_4 version is being released simultaneously for these two models, implementing the most important changes of 384.15 to try to at least keep them in sync in terms of important features (addons and amtm). The future for these two models is currently up in the air, and will depend on how things will evolve in the future regarding Asus's own firmware releases. Unless they eventually bring these two models on the same code base as their newer models, I will eventually have to drop support for these two models. For now, these two models will stay on the last compatible code (384.13_x), and will mostly receive just general fixes.

The highlights of the changes in this release:
  • Implemented addon API for third party developers, allowing to add new webui pages, and interact with settings.
  • New wan-event script, which will replace the (deprecated) wan-start script. This script will obtain the WAN unit as first parameter (0 for first, 1 for second), and the event type as the second parameter. Current event types are: init, connecting, connected, disconnected, stopped, disabled and stopping. Event type "connected" will match the former wan-start script event. Wan-start will be removed in a future release.
  • Implemented amtm. This shell script allows you to easily install/unstall various popular addons. The officially supported Entware installation method is also through amtm now - running entware-setup.sh will simply launch amtm. To launch amtm, please login over ssh, and type "amtm".
  • Merged GPL 384_7756 for RT-AX88U (which adds OFDMA and WPA3 support), and 385_10002 for other models (except RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200). Note that there wasn't much changes in 385_10002 vs 384_81351. A few fixes were also backported from the (newer) 384_81981.
  • Updated components: odhcp6c (1.1-97-ge199804), curl (7.67), openssl-1.0 (1.0.2u) and dnsmasq (2.80-114-ge40d8be).
  • Improvements to httpd connection handling. @themiron pushed a number of fixes to the httpd daemon in how it handles browser connections, which makes the webui run a bit smoother - in my own tests I no longer encounter half-loaded pages. that would sometime occur when using https.

Please read the changelog for the detailed list of changes.

Please keep discussions in this thread on this particular firmware release. This thread will be locked after a while once the post-release feedback will have quieted down, to prevent this thread into becoming a general support thread.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
RMerlin , thank you once again for your immense contributions!

Now, to downloads! :D

Updated RT-AX88U from 384.15 Beta 1 to 384.15_0 release 'dirty'.
  • Downloaded the correct file for my router.
  • Verified the extracted RT-AX88U_384.15_0_cferom_ubi.w matched the sha256sum.sha256 hash file.
  • In PuTTY, I updated all scripts to their latest versions (with the @Jack Yaz scripts, be sure to use 'u' and then 'uf' on each).
  • In the GUI, I 'Safely removed' all USB drives from the router (Free RAM before, 35MB, Free RAM after, 465MB).
  • Flashed the 384.15 final.
  • After reboot, allowed the router to 'settle' for 15 to 20 minutes. But I did use my network as I normally would.
  • After that short period of time, I rebooted the router once again.
  • I will also reboot once more after an hour or more of using the network normally.
    • This being the final 'test' that the firmware upgrade 'took' properly. ;)
No issues to report. WiFi as fast as ever. LAN as well. The network is as responsive as it has ever been thanks to the polished firmware, the current reboot(s) (@RMerlin! :) ) and undoubtedly helped with Unbound running as the DNS server.

And all scripts working too!
amtm, Diversion + Entware + pixelserv-tls, Skynet, YazFi, scribe, connmon, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, uiDivStats, uiScribe, Unbound, and disk checker, on Ext4 w/journaling and a 2GB swap file on a Patriot 256GB Elite USB drive in the USB 3.0 port in USB 3.0 mode.

Okay, great! Now, what are we supposed to do with the rest of the weekend! :D

My highest respect and appreciation for all the great talent, contributions, sweat and swearing this firmware is based on, from so many people, brought together by RMerlin and this milestone release. Simply too many to name without fear of forgetting someone! :)

Many thanks as always for the firmware. It would be a shame if Asus dropped support for the RT-AC87u but with nearly 5 years of Asus and Merlin firmware I'm very pleased with that length of support.

I'm also pleased to report that my RT-AC87U with firmware 384.13_2 remained stable for an impressive 42 days 6 hours 55 minute(s) 14 seconds which will have been when that firmware was loaded.

I applied 384.13_4 over the last firmware but rebooted prior to doing so. Came back up without any issues so testing now.

I've been waiting patiently for this. @RMerlin and all script devs/creators (you know who you are) and all contributors, you all rock!!! Make weekends so much fun and something to look forward too. Thanks again...Off to download world.

Dirty flash from x.15Beta. Zero issues, quiet log and not a single hiccup. Typical flash procedure for me: Flash the Mesh node, reboot it. It came up and didn't lose any settings. Then, removed the SSD, flashed the router. Rebooted it, let it settle for a few minutes and plugged in the SSD. All a go. Updated AMTM to 3.1.1, and then UIScribe and Diversion as well.

Thanks for the hard work!

Just updated running great thank you.

And upgrading my phone to a Galaxy S10 next week so I will finally be able to test Wireless AX.

Last edited:
Just updated AC-86U and AC-68U. Looks like the AC-86U label hasn't changed from beta1. I ran through this twice just to make sure.

upload_2020-2-8_16-38-22.png

Thank you for your hard work, Merlin!

amtm users, read amtm v3.1.1 release notes here.
And I quote myself from the post after this link:
I expect routers running 384.15 alpha or beta firmware to be updated to the recently released final Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15.0.
Thanks for helping me out squashing those pesky amtm firmware bugs by upgrading.

Dirty upgrade from 384.14_2 to 384.15 on AC88U.
All existing scripts working after upgrade

Can someone with an ac86u report back findings on wifi stability and or drops on 5ghz as I experienced on 384.14..I'm back on 384.12 amd running smooth again :)

Can someone with an ac86u report back findings on wifi stability and or drops on 5ghz as I experienced on 384.14..I'm back on 384.12 amd running smooth again :)
I've been running 384.14 since release with no wifi issues. I'm now running 384.15 again with 0 wifi issues!

I've been running 384.14 since release with no wifi issues. I'm now running 384.15 again with 0 wifi issues!

My 5GHz wifi connection and performance seems just the same as with 384.14_2. Only been up on 384.15 for 50 mins but everything is working fine and transfer numbers are identical to earlier build. FYI my 5GHz is locked in at 157/80. I have issues on the 86U if I don't do that.

Dirty upgrade from 384.14_2. Thanks to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!