What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15 (and 384.13_4) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knows this sounds weird, but with 384.15 on 86U, the first time you hit the 5Ghz config page, you are right, you can only select "Auto" in the drop-down.

HOWEVER if you click on the 5Ghz SSID right at the top of the window in the "Wireless Mode" line, it does something to the 5Ghz GUI and now you can manage all parameters from the Web GUI.
Do you have Smart Connect turned on?

I don't have anything you mention (because of that?)

Can you perhaps post a screenshot to guide me?

ok, upgraded from .12 to .15 , all ok, did factory default
now i am able to save 20/40mhz op 2.4 wifi, before, if i saved 20/40 , after reboot it was always back to 20 , and also my wifi adpater was at 54mbit max
now my wifi adapter show 144 mbit , and i am able to save 20/40
to get 300 mbit, should i save it to 40 fixed?

edit: now on 40 , now i have 300mbit, solved :)

Last edited:
Just wanted to say big thanks for all the work on the firmware.

Some feedback on recent builds as I noticed a few others reporting WiFi dropouts on recent firmware. I use the AC86U and have around 30 active devices on WiFi at a time (All types of devices u can probably think of and constantly being used by all the family for streaming, gaming, browsing etc). I separate 2.4/5 out and have been running a factory reset firmware 384.15 with no changes to default except WiFi config.

For me 384.13 was rock solid. Went weeks without a single blip on any device.

384.14 & 384.15 I see daily WiFi dropouts. Sometimes can go a day without an issue but have seen Chromecasts, PS4, Google Home and laptop all get dropped of WiFi. all these devices are a combination of 2.4ghz and 5ghz. This experience seems similar to other reports on the forum.

I have just changed to dedicated channels on both 2.4 and 5 to see if that makes any difference. I may have to go back to 384.13 if it doesn't.

To help out, is there anything to look out for in the logs ?

dirty .13 to .15 without issue (seeing far fewer kernal notices now)
usb 2.0 flash is only running amtm, skynet and a 256mg swap file.
diversion has become too restrictive, so i stopped using it for now :oops:

2.4GHz dropped out this morning, reboot fixed it (can provide logs from that period if it helps) and now all tabs disappeared on the Tools tab.

For me 384.13 was rock solid. Went weeks without a single blip on any device.

As per group of SNB members (including me), Asuswrt version 45717 is the best firmware released to date by ASUS in terms of WiFi performance and this is the firmware Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 and 384.13 were based on. Test and see what works best for you.

Again you fail to understand. I do NOT use DoT in my mobile, where did you get that assumption from - do you even read what I wrote?

I wrote that when my mobile is connected to my WiFi (supplied by the AX88 with RMerlin firmware .15) the page does not load if the DoT (in the firmware on the AX88 router is used) has been turned ON for a unknown duration (turning DoT Off and then direct ON again will resolve it for the moment). I can easily validate this by turning WiFi OFF on my mobile, and let the IP traffic go over mobile connection 4G (most of the time, I do see 3G from time to time) to Telia (which is my mobile operator), and then the page load each and every time.

I can only hope you start to read what I now wrote - or I suggest you step away from this.
Watch your tone please.
Anton

Again you fail to understand. I do NOT use DoT in my mobile, where did you get that assumption from - do you even read what I wrote?

I wrote that when my mobile is connected to my WiFi (supplied by the AX88 with RMerlin firmware .15) the page does not load if the DoT (in the firmware on the AX88 router is used) has been turned ON for a unknown duration (turning DoT Off and then direct ON again will resolve it for the moment). I can easily validate this by turning WiFi OFF on my mobile, and let the IP traffic go over mobile connection 4G (most of the time, I do see 3G from time to time) to Telia (which is my mobile operator), and then the page load each and every time.

I can only hope you start to read what I now wrote - or I suggest you step away from this.
I may have misread the first time. Sorry for that. But by turning on DoT locally for the phone you would have taken out the router from the equation and still connect with DoT to the site.
I also think there are several ways to activate DoT/DoH in some browsers and via other solutions for the whole computer. Again without the need of the router. Regardless if you want try things more or not. You can still connect safer without involving the router.
If the site still has issues only with DoT on it's not a problem in the router (because you used other DoT solutions)

I was testing this, and I can get to the page by either disabling DoT with DNSSEC enabled, or by leaving DoT enabled but then disabling DNSSEC. With both DNSSEC and DoT running, dig at command prompt comes back with a SERVFAIL message. So for me, in this scenario, with both DNSSEC and DoT enabled, the DNSSEC check fails which causes it to be blocked.
Maybe it works for me due to having support for DoH enabled in browser. Seems based on what I read some time back that DoH is easier to implement and has better compatibility. Don't remember it well though. Then there is the security level of it DoT vs DoH. In some articles there does not seem to be a clear winner.

Two things I have noticed with upgrading from 384.14 to .15:
  • Reboots are much faster (placebo?)
  • My AC86U used to have the problem when rebooting, that it would hang and all of the LEDs go out (separate thread on this to suggest many others also experience this). I no longer seem to have this issue, after many reboots.
This was a 'dirty' upgrade also. I'm certainly happy with that outcome!

Been running 384.15 on my AI Mesh Main AC86U main router for a few days. Yesterday I enabled scribe and uiScribe and connmon addons. OH WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?! LOL.

BTW - I use all the TrendMicro features as well as the merlin/tomato stats. I do NOT have any QOS enabled.

This morning, looking through the much easier to decipher logs, I saw these errors.

Feb 14 01:15:50 RTAC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc011043dd0 dir=0 old_key=0xa0000a99 new_key=0xa0000ad4
Feb 14 01:15:50 RTAC86U kernel: [0m
Feb 14 01:15:52 RTAC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc0145c2538 dir=0 old_key=0xa0000ab2 new_key=0xa0000ad7
Feb 14 01:15:52 RTAC86U kernel: [0m
Feb 14 01:15:55 RTAC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc0094e6c18 dir=0 old_key=0xa0000ab6 new_key=0xa0000a9e
Feb 14 01:15:55 RTAC86U kernel: [0m
Feb 14 01:15:59 RTAC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc009737538 dir=0 old_key=0xa0000ac2 new_key=0xa0000aaa
Feb 14 01:15:59 RTAC86U kernel: [0m
Feb 14 01:16:25 RTAC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc01689b538 dir=0 old_key=0xa0000ad3 new_key=0xa0000ab3
Feb 14 01:16:25 RTAC86U kernel: [0m
Feb 14 01:20:22 RTAC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc0094e6c18
Feb 14 01:20:22 RTAC86U kernel: [0m
Feb 14 01:24:33 RTAC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc0145c2538
Feb 14 01:24:33 RTAC86U kernel: [0m
Feb 14 02:14:38 RTAC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc009737538
Feb 14 02:14:38 RTAC86U kernel: [0m
Feb 14 02:14:38 RTAC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc01689b538
Feb 14 02:14:38 RTAC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc011043dd0

They are in the kernel ring buffer log (dmesg) as well, with the correct ASCII terminal colors
upload_2020-2-14_6-23-57.png

I had a similar vanilla config with my older N66U, AC68U and newer AC86U for YEARS and never seen this one. I don't think this is related to the new addons, probably coincidental. This 'feels' like an issue with some type of data collection, maybe an issue with the Traffic.db. The Traffic charts and data are still there and working, so this is just a guess.

I did a search for this and only a couple hits from long ago that this is a broadcom module and therefore we have no clue what it means.

Is the structure of the source code semi-logical to at least indicate what major subsystem the 'blog' module is called in? Traffic, AI Protection, QOS, HW Acceleration, etc? We might not be able to fix it, but knowledge is still power. Thanks.

You know, it may not be what you are looking for, but I have simply given the two (2.4 and 5) SSIDs the same name on my 86U. Unless Smart Connect does something other than hand off to a different band, I'm not missing anything. I can roam my house and property with good reception. I also notice that our phones do indeed change from 5 to 2.4 and back.

Worth a shot if you are having issues.

I'm a few days in on my AC86U with SmartConnect enabled, AND with wl0_chanspec=11/20 & wl1_chanspec=149/80 and my cheap IoT devices on my guest SSID have NOT fallen off into oblivion; since it was a nightly occurrence, I'd say this fixed it. If I had to guess, its the forcing down to 20Mhz that was key.

Two observations with overriding the chanspec values on the AC86U. 1) I set 11/20MHz but the result is 10/20MHz.... I dont see any ACSD log entries like that daemon kicked in and moved it. 2) Setting these values on an a Same model AI Mesh Node don't stick. At some point they go back to 0. This could be a major bummer if your troublesome devices that work fine when on the main router are steered to a node.

So, good info about SmartConnect adjustments on the AC86U - and how the AX88U has them exposed but not on the 86U.

PS! Anyone trying to convince me the site has problem, can think - again - about the fact that it does work after cycling DoT OFF/ON - for a limited time at least, then start to fail again.

What do you think happen when you toggling Dot on/off ? My guess is that you open it up in toggling moment and let traffic bypass Dot.
When BankId discovered Dot again then you is blocket out.
If you had started up Wireshark then you had discovered that with packet inspection.
That is my guess............

Did a dirty upgrade of my AX88U from the .15 beta to the release. Still seeing these errors that showed up with the .15 Alpha. Would a reset stop these? What exactly is causing this?

Feb 9 07:51:11 kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set

I have the exact same Error Messages with my AX88U altough I did a clean upgrade. I also got several Radius Messages although I didn't use it.

Updated and reset, seems fine so far.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, I checked the box to format JFFS at next reboot, it seemed to hang on complete, I went to check the router and all lights were off.

I flicked the power button to reboot it and all is fine now, just wondering if the above is normal when you do a JFFS format at next reboot and perhaps I should have waited.

Ignore the above its not meant to do that as I did it again and it rebooted fine while doing a JFFS format at boot, I think Ive had it hang before, guess its just a random bug.

On firmware page my signature version is 2.066, when I click check for update it keeps saying signature update failed ?

On firmware page my signature version is 2.066, when I click check for update it keeps saying signature update failed ?
I do not know a solution to the update failure. Just for reference on the AC86U. I did nothing to update intentional. I just mucked things up and had to reboot, due to incessant tinkering.
Code:
Signature version 2.162  Updated : 2020/02/13 10:03

Can anyone tell me how to retrieve the hardware version of your router through ssh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!