What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 (and 384.13_6) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key words from RMerlin in reply linked below " closed source code".
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...13-is-now-available.57860/page-35#post-515660

Many install scribe to remove those to a separate log of just dumb them.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/scribe-syslog-ng-and-logrotate-installer.55853/

ugh well that's a pita. I use Syslog Watcher to capture logged events from the 86U, so I CAN create a filter to hide all those extraneous log entries, but WLCEVENTD debug events are still logged, unfortunately.

You can also do this via telnet.

1. nvram set log_level=5
2. nvram commit
3. reboot

The logging level can also be configured via the web interface, no? under the General Log tab.

In any case, I had already changed the log level to 'notice' (level 5); for both Default message log level and Log only messages more urgent than, but WLCEVENTD debugging events are still being logged. Interestingly, Syslog Watcher records them as a 'Notice', not as a Debug event, so that's why the WLC events aren't being suppressed when the log level is set to 5.

Oh and everytime the 86U changes to a different wifi channel (which is quite often), four additional log entries are generated along with each & every set of WLCEVENTD messages. These wifi channel adjustment messages are tagged as an ACSD event with Emergency severity (level 0, a panic condition), so clearly that's a bug.

Last edited by a moderator:
the logging level can also be configured via the web interface, no? under the General Log tab.

On Merlin yes. But not sure what to change the log level to. I tried some settings and it seemed to not log anything after the change. I am running the latest stock firmware at the moment and nvram set log_level=5 works great spam is gone and it still logs relevent information.

@techcafe -
ugh well that's a pita. I use Syslog Watcher to capture logged events from the 86U, so I CAN create a filter to hide all those extraneous log entries, but WLCEVENTD debug events are still logged, unfortunately.
Basically the scribe wlceventd.log, ioctl2.log and crash.log with their respective logrotate files leave the system message log lighter on the eyes and manageable on my AC86U.

On Merlin yes. But not sure what to change the log level to. I tried some settings and it seemed to not log anything after the change. I am running the latest stock firmware at the moment and nvram set log_level=5 works great spam is gone and it still logs relevent information.

Perhaps I'll try reverting to stock firmware to see if that stops the spam. Thanks for the tip.

Key words from RMerlin in reply linked below " closed source code".
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...13-is-now-available.57860/page-35#post-515660

Many install scribe to remove those to a separate log of just dumb them.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/scribe-syslog-ng-and-logrotate-installer.55853/

thank you for that helpful post from Merlin describing the debug flag state 'bug'. i hope Asus fixes this soon.

as for Scribe, thank you for the suggestion, but i think installing Entware + scripts to tame the logger might be overkill for my purposes. i don't need such granular control over logging, but i also don't want the logs to be spammed with useless debug messages either.

thank you for that helpful post from Merlin describing the debug flag state 'bug'. i hope Asus fixes this soon.

as for Scribe, thank you for the suggestion, but i think installing Entware + scripts to tame the logger might be overkill for my purposes. i don't need such granular control over logging, but i also don't want the logs to be spammed with useless debug messages either.
I think you could install scribe and delete all filters form
Code:
/tmp/mnt/(USB_name)entware/etc/syslog-ng.d
and only leaving messages (standard syslog) and wlceventd. That way Syslog Watcher (I think, since I do not use Windows) should only see the messages / syslog entries. Kinda of overkill. as you say, but the install of scribe is so clean and straight forward, that it only takes minutes to do. A known solution, though not elegant.

Last edited:
Installed and seems stable on AC86U for last 3 days but it keeps changing channels for both 2.4 and 5, causing everything to reconnect. 2.4 changes like every 3-5 hours and 5 changes every 8-12 hours.

Installed and seems stable on AC86U for last 3 days but it keeps changing channels for both 2.4 and 5, causing everything to reconnect. 2.4 changes like every 3-5 hours and 5 changes every 8-12 hours.
So, don't let it change! Set 2.4 to Ch 1, 6 or 11 - 20Mhz. Set 5 to 36 or 149 20/40/80 Mhz

I like the new traffic meter. Is there a option we can have the values in bits per second? Thanks.

4Zu8Fc6.png

i find the bandwidth meters in version 384.x practically useless because the scale on the Upload & Download speedometers were 'upgraded' from a max speed of 100Mbps to 1000Mbps, so now most internet traffic is almost imperceptible in the GUI, as the dials and bars barely move anymore. the old speedometer in version 380.x was more useful for viewing speeds in real time.

@techcafe, no such issue here? RT-AX88U.

So, don't let it change! Set 2.4 to Ch 1, 6 or 11 - 20Mhz. Set 5 to 36 or 149 20/40/80 Mhz
Anything about 149 that is better than say 157? I can't use 149 because so many others use it in my area so went with 157. Chan 36 is relatively weak.

Yes, though I tried without it first, and same bufferbloat behaviour.
when using the script you need to set bandiwth to 95% and set the over head value use FQ_codel see if that helps.

i find the bandwidth meters in version 384.x practically useless because the scale on the Upload & Download speedometers were 'upgraded' from a max speed of 100Mbps to 1000Mbps, so now most internet traffic is almost imperceptible in the GUI, as the dials and bars barely move anymore. the old speedometer in version 380.x was more useful for viewing speeds in real time.

Agree...

Not sure if your router will be moved to the 385 branch, but if so you've been heard by Asus...

Seems like Asus is trying to fix this in the 385.x branch. It's still a work in progress so far, since it somehow autoadjust the scale if you go over the limit you have chosen, and the meters graphic disappear for sec. And when it's back, it's increased the scale nevertheless even though you set it to 100...
And I'm not sure if it's intended or not, but all the scale numbers on the meter seems to be gone for now.

But even though it's not perfect yet, it seems like Asus have heard the complaints and are trying to fix it by letting the user choose the scale.

upload_2020-4-20_10-37-52.png

Anyone had this problem, mij node ac86u lost the connection and had to reset it to get back in aimesh.
Second time with 384.16.
Its ten disconnected and cant approach it.
The router is ax88u and node ac86u. For the rest it runs great

What does the "beacon interval" setting do?

What does the "beacon interval" setting do?

upload_2020-4-20_11-58-51.png

What is Beacon Interval
Beacon Broadcast interval is the time lag between each of the beacons sent by your router or access points. By definition, the lower the value, the smaller the time lag which means that the beacon is sent more frequently. The higher the value, the bigger the time lag which means that the beacon is sent broadcasted less frequently.
The beacon is needed for your devices or clients to receive information about the particular router. In this case the beacon includes some main information such as SSID, Timestamp, and various parameters.
https://routerguide.net/beacon-interval-best-optimal-setting-improve-wireless-speed/

looks like it's been discussed a few times on here:
https://www.snbforums.com/search/1371854/?q=beacon+interval&o=date&c[node]=42

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!