What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 (and 384.13_6) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I consider it a bug since it worked in previous firmwares.

Or maybe it was a bug that was actually fixed by Asus. There are a number of characters that are invalid within an SSID, and sometimes the position of that character matters. For instance, according to Cisco, trailing spaces are invalid within an SSID, so it's possible that this would also apply to leading spaces.

Or maybe it was a bug that was actually fixed by Asus. There are a number of characters that are invalid within an SSID, and sometimes the position of that character matters. For instance, according to Cisco, trailing spaces are invalid within an SSID, so it's possible that this would also apply to leading spaces.
Okay, I get it.
But if it's an invalid character, we shouldn't be able to use it at all on the router.
Now it is possible to configure an SSID that works with a space at the beginning of SSID (nvram show | grep "ssid" --> SSID correct with space) but if I reboot the router, the space doesn't exist anymore (nvram show | grep "ssid" --> SSID incorrect because the space has disappeared). But if I go back to the UI and just add the missing space, the SSID is correct again.
If space is an invalid character, why does it work partially (before rebooting)?

Already answered above fully, but if a reason (or pattern) is found, then time to change that pattern. :)

What worked before has little bearing on what will work tomorrow. Progress waits for no one. :)

Also noticed this only happens when I try to sort by "Client Name (MAC Address)"

This happens if a specified MAC is missing from the networkmap client list, causing sort to try to address a non-existent name. Fixed.

Site Survey doesn't report and map 160Mhz AC.

Tell that to Broadcom - I have no control over their proprietary app.

Also, ../blur_new.jpg & ../logo_new.gif are missing from all WiFi Insight pages.

Those files are also missing from BCM's SDK, so nothing I can do about it.

I'm really close to roll back to 384.13, never had any problems. I like using Smart Connect for the single SSID but the fact you can't choose any channels other than AUTO is infuriating. My router keeps changing both 2.4 and 5 channels which in turn drops every device. I've tried changing Smart Connect Rule to favor 5Ghz but it's useless as long as it keeps doing this. It started with 384.14 so I rolled back and now I regret updating again.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having problems with their router time becoming incorrect in the general log? The system time is good as far as I remember.

It's happened a couple of times now and to fix it all I have to do is go to Administration->system and click apply. This only seems to last for less than a day.

I just recently switch to this firmware on my RT-AC66U B1 from stock so I have no idea if it was a problem with earlier versions, the stock version had no time problems. I did do a factory reset coming from stock.

Is anyone else having problems with their router time becoming incorrect in the general log? The system time is good as far as I remember.

It's happened a couple of times now and to fix it all I have to do is go to Administration->system and click apply. This only seems to last for less than a day.

I just recently switch to this firmware on my RT-AC66U B1 from stock so I have no idea if it was a problem with earlier versions, the stock version had no time problems. I did do a factory reset coming from stock.
What do you use as time server in Administration - System - NTP Server?
Try time.cloudflare.com instead of the default.

Hi,
firmware 384.16 working fine on my routers...
Except one small problem/bug. Workgroup for samba with "dot" can't be set. (USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk)

For example if I set workgroup name to sanchez.lan, then this error is displayed:

"Only alphanumeric characters, underscore, and dash symbol are accepted. The first character cannot be a dash - or a underscore _ ."

workgroup without "." is accepted...
S.

anyone else with this problem ?

workaround for change samba settings:
Remove dot "." from workgroup name and apply settings via GUI.

Then ssh to router and change workgroup name.

for example:

nvram set st_samba_workgroup=sanchez.lan
nvram commit
service restart_samba​

enjoy :)

S.

What do you use as time server in Administration - System - NTP Server?
Try time.cloudflare.com instead of the default.
Never used the default one unitl today, I have had the NTP servers set to google's using time1.google.com and time2.google.com when that didn't work I tried using only time.google.com.

Right now it's set to pool.ntp.org and............it's happened again the "General log" is four hours ahead but the system time is correct. I highly doubt it's a timer server problem at this point.

Never used the default one unitl today, I have had the NTP servers set to google's using time1.google.com and time2.google.com when that didn't work I tried using only time.google.com.

Right now it's set to pool.ntp.org and............it's happened again the "General log" is four hours ahead but the system time is correct. I highly doubt it's a timer server problem at this point.
Hmm, that is a strange issue and I assume you already checked the time zone and DST settings.

Hmm, that is a strange issue and I assume you already checked the time zone and DST settings.
Yes I have check both time zone and DST settings. I even changed the time zone to a different one and then back to mine with no change. It's is indeed strange, I just have to remember the time is off when looking at the logs.

I may try a factory reset at some point to see if it fixes it, just can't right now with the working from home situation.

Thanks for the suggestions @Mutzli

anyone else with this problem ?

workaround for change samba settings:
Remove dot "." from workgroup name and apply settings via GUI.

Then ssh to router and change workgroup name.

for example:

nvram set st_samba_workgroup=sanchez.lan
nvram commit
service restart_samba​

enjoy :)

S.

That is not a valid workgroup name.

Windows 10 allows changing the workgroup name by using various methods. For your new workgroup name, avoid using spaces, and the following special characters: ` ~ @ # $ % ^ & ( ) = + [ ] { } | ; : , ‘ “ . < > / ?.

The firmware is correct in rejecting the presence of a dot. You are confusing domain and workgroup, they have different rules.

I'm really close to roll back to 384.13, never had any problems. I like using Smart Connect for the single SSID but the fact you can't choose any channels other than AUTO is infuriating. My router keeps changing both 2.4 and 5 channels which in turn drops every device. I've tried changing Smart Connect Rule to favor 5Ghz but it's useless as long as it keeps doing this. It started with 384.14 so I rolled back and now I regret updating again.
The Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_81792 "stock" Asus firmware for the AC86U does allow you to select both the 2.4 and 5 GHZ channels with Smart Connect.

That is not a valid workgroup name.
The firmware is correct in rejecting the presence of a dot. You are confusing domain and workgroup, they have different rules.

I mean this is not correct information. Workgroup name can contain dot, only first character cannot be "."
Same info is showed as help for workgroup settings:

S.

Attachments

• workgroup.gif
    workgroup.gif
    141.4 KB · Views: 175
The Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_81792 "stock" Asus firmware for the AC86U does allow you to select both the 2.4 and 5 GHZ channels with Smart Connect.

Looking forward to 384.17 that "hopefully" will contain this update also.

This WiFi issue is been for some time on the 86u. If you want to benefit from the current version 384.16 you'll need to disable smart connect and fix channels to a value to suit your environment (i.e. dont set to auto).

Alternatively, you'll need to downgrade if you really want smart connect and await feedback on the next release to be sure.

Yes I have check both time zone and DST settings. I even changed the time zone to a different one and then back to mine with no change. It's is indeed strange, I just have to remember the time is off when looking at the logs.

I may try a factory reset at some point to see if it fixes it, just can't right now with the working from home situation.

Thanks for the suggestions @Mutzli

Did you refresh your system log page?

it's happened again the "General log" is four hours ahead but the system time is correct. I highly doubt it's a timer server problem at this point.
Is it the whole log, or just a portion (like packages installed from entware)? If so, you can try logging in via ssh and
Code:
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)

If that works, you can make a file /jffs/configs/profile.add that contains that line to make it permanent

decided to take the plunge and upgrade from 384.5 that's been rock solid.. still configuring but I noticed so far even after refreshing browser I cant disable WMM.. can disable WMM aspd but not WMM.. the drop down list box doesn't contain anything other than ENABLE for both 2.4 and 5ghz.. is this now normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!