What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.17 (and 384.13_8) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgrade from 384.16 to .17 and all settings stayed, including DHCP reservations, WLAN channel settings, etc. No issues from my standpoint.

Just some feedback on the RT-AC5300 - having intermittent problems with WiFi on this new build. Either 'No Internet' on my iPhone/Macbook with Universal Beamforming enabled, then when I disable it I have 'No Internet Access' on Windows 10 wireless. No win situation. General Wifi stability issues. And having some OpenVPN issues.

I noticed the exact same issues on the GT-AC5300 with stock asus firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81695

I decided to rollback to N-2 (384.15) and Wifi is rock solid as is VPN....

After the factory reset the settings now work and hold.

Now the "Traffic Analyser - Statistics" tab which crashes the web interface and the router needs a reboot.

WiFi with smart connect enabled was leaving a few devices without Internet access. Channels keep changing all the time, maybe it is related. Now I'm trying fixed channels.

By the way, I forgot to mention I have an RT-AC86U and a secondary RT-AC68U in mesh mode.

Flawless Dirty upgrade on both routers to:
384.17 (and 384.13_8)

I did the procedure, lets see if it will fix.
I will reboot after a few days, everytime that I do it I have to manually configure the whole surveillance system.

Usually Guest network enabled...
Should not be the cause of a router being "blocked" tho.

Or just maybe, a loop created with a switch..?
Thank you for your response. No switch in the network. The configuration is the same for several years now, never had this error though. I had my ISP check the line and they did some testing and resetting (???). All good now but still a mystery what happened.

No issues after dirty upgrade from 384.16 to .17 on my 1900P (plain vanilla setup with 30 clients on my network).

thanks Merlin:p

STAY SAFE everyone!

Here's the weird part: If I changed the SSIDs (2.4Ghz/5Ghz) devices DID have internet/network access. If I switched back to the previous ones, it was lost again. It felt like some weird conflict in some setting that factory resets weren't fixing. I removed/readded the wireless networks multiple times on my test device (my phone) as well as rebooting it twice, to make sure it wasn't on its end.
Probably the devices still remembering something even if you delete the WiFi network from them, just give them 24h+ and they will probably work...

Last edited:
I had my ISP check the line and they did some testing and resetting (???).
This, probably.

And for me if I have Guest network enabled and AI disabled I end up with a ton of them, with AI enabled none, and of course none if Guest is disabled...

Updated an RT-AC87U from 384.13_6 (dirty update) without a glitch.

Thank you Rmerlin

Dirty upgraded RT-AX58U to 384.17 and seems fine.

Is it okay to leave USB flash with Entware and other scripts connected during upgrade from .16 to .17?

The following steps are what I have found to be the fastest and most reliable way to update a router with amtm + swap file + scripts installed. Note the two additional GUI reboots afterward in which you are checking that after 15 minutes all the scripts are running correctly. And after one hour or more, a third reboot is used to verify that the router is fully updated and stable too (even with the additional reboot).

Dirty Upgrade steps for minimal downtime (during the upgrade and afterward too). :)
  1. Download the firmware you want to flash. Double-check it is for your specific router model. Unzip it, if needed.
  2. Verify the SHA256 hash value of the .trx or 'w' file found within the sha256sum.sha256 file with a utility such as Hashtab from here.
  3. Do not transfer the file you just verified to another PC. Upgrade the firmware from the PC you downloaded and verified it on.
  4. Mobile, handheld devices, and/or 'apps' are not recommended for these tasks.
  5. Use PuTTY or your favorite terminal to shh into the router and run amtm.
  6. Upgrade/update all scripts, including amtm if indicated, by running 'u' and updating all indicated scripts individually.
  7. Exist from the ssh terminal session.
  8. Log into the router GUI.
  9. Safely remove all USB connected devices.
  10. Do not physically remove the devices you just 'safely' removed.
  11. Wait for the CPU cores to show the router has settled down after removing the USB devices (this may take up to 2 minutes on some routers).
  12. Flash the firmware you downloaded and verified the hash value for.
  13. On reboot, wait at least 10 minutes for all services to become active and available.
  14. Using amtm (via a PuTTY session) verify that the USB drive containing Entware, the swap file, and the scripts are running normally by checking the 'dcl' disk check log (you do have that enabled, right). (Note that a single USB drive with a single partition is recommended for Entware, the swap file and for the scripts)
  15. Check for amtm + script updates by running 'u' again in amtm.
  16. Verify that the scripts are running correctly both in amtm and in the GUI (for those scripts that can show/enhance both).
  17. At the 15 minute mark, issue a Reboot via the GUI.
  18. Repeat steps 13 to 16 once again.
  19. Use the router/network as you normally would for at least one hour. Then, reboot one last time.
  20. Repeat the steps 13 to 16 one last time.
  21. With no issues indicated in the process above, the network should be stable until the next 'dirty upgrade' is deemed necessary. :)
The steps as written out above may seem like a long process/chore, but in reality, they are about 5 or 10 minutes worth of our direct time.

They don't require physically removing the USB devices connected to the router. They don't require a reboot before the firmware upgrade. And if following RMerlin (or john9527's RMerlin fork) releases closely, will not usually require a full M&M Config either for most. :)

Hope this is helpful. :)

I know this sounds like my last few comments on the RT-AC87U releases but I've upgraded from the previous release with no problems whatsoever. Merlin, please accept my thanks for this firmware and for continuing to work on the project during these strange times.

Internet hasn't been great in my area for the past few days. Despite this the RT-AC87 has performed admirably. I've been working on a very big UK client of ours implementing a software upgrade for one of their key systems and I've had zero WiFi dropouts or network issues so basically just to report a continuing success with the firmware.

+1 for that idea. MBps isn't as useful as most people know their connection speed in Mbps. This would be a huge benefit to see in as many places as possible through the GUI.

@RMerlin - to be fair you could house the toggle option for mB to mb in administration like the disable led section.

the traffic monitor is so handy but when tired I hate having to time everything by 8 :)

I have to ask this. Why would anyone take a router speed monitor with anything but a grain of salt. 2. Who loads there router Web UI and stares at this meter and thinks it's any ware close to accurate. I will bet it's not even close. 3. There are plenty of other ways to get this information more accurately then this. Just saying. I for one just feel it's eye candy to make the web UI more interesting to look at.

I have to ask this. Why would anyone take a router speed monitor with anything but a grain of salt. 2. Who loads there router Web UI and stares at this meter and thinks it's any ware close to accurate. I will bet it's not even close. 3. There are plenty of other ways to get this information more accurately then this. Just saying. I for one just feel it's eye candy to make the web UI more interesting to look at.
The same people that stare at the System Log section and complain there's too many messages in there :)

You think @RMerlin added that just for eye candy?

Why would anyone waste their free time adding eye candy?

It’s useful to monitor for a multitude of reasons which I’m sure you can work out yourself why you’d want to do that through the thing that routes all your traffic.

You think @RMerlin added that just for eye candy?

Why would anyone waste their free time adding eye candy?

It’s useful to monitor for a multitude of reasons which I’m sure you can work out yourself why you’d want to do that through the thing that routes all your traffic.

Fine then use it as he want's it. Not how you want it. If he wanted to change it he would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!