What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.17 (and 384.13_8) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the devices still remembering something even if you delete the WiFi network from them, just give them 24h+ and they will probably work...
Yeah, by this morning most things were back to normal, with the exception of my Echo Dots. I went to put them into manual setup mode to see if I could reconnect them manually, and the second they entered setup, they instantly connected, without even needing to progress further. As if they were just in a daze and that shook them up out of it. I've never seen a firmware update throw devices for a loop like that, I figured I'd messed up by doing a dirty flash over a year-old revision.

As of now, everything seems to be working fine.

Yeah, by this morning most things were back to normal, with the exception of my Echo Dots. I went to put them into manual setup mode to see if I could reconnect them manually, and the second they entered setup, they instantly connected, without even needing to progress further. As if they were just in a daze and that shook them up out of it. I've never seen a firmware update throw devices for a loop like that, I figured I'd messed up by doing a dirty flash over a year-old revision.

As of now, everything seems to be working fine.
Some devices tend to have longer lease times, and only then do they clear ARP, DNS and other cache, that is all.

Just some feedback on the RT-AC5300 - having intermittent problems with WiFi on this new build. Either 'No Internet' on my iPhone/Macbook with Universal Beamforming enabled, then when I disable it I have 'No Internet Access' on Windows 10 wireless. No win situation. General Wifi stability issues. And having some OpenVPN issues.

I noticed the exact same issues on the GT-AC5300 with stock asus firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81695

I decided to rollback to N-2 (384.15) and Wifi is rock solid as is VPN....

I have been 24 hours on a dirty flash to RT-AC5300 and it has been fine

I started receiving the following messages in the log. Port 1 is connected to my Synology NAS drive running Plex (PMS) server. Everything works with the exception of a strange behaviour of PLex remote access status. Initial PMS remote access status shows as Enabled and after a while is shows disable. However, even when it shows disabled I can still access PMS remotely without issues. Makes me wonder if this PMS issue is related in some way to these LINK messages DOWN.

Apr 27 16:48:13 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered forwarding state
Apr 27 16:48:19 RT86U kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Apr 27 16:48:19 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered disabled state
Apr 27 16:53:18 RT86U kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Apr 27 16:53:18 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered forwarding state
Apr 27 16:53:18 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered forwarding state
Apr 27 16:53:21 RT86U kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Apr 27 16:53:21 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered disabled state
Apr 27 16:58:23 RT86U kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Apr 27 16:58:23 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered forwarding state
Apr 27 16:58:23 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered forwarding state
Apr 27 16:58:29 RT86U kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Apr 27 16:58:29 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered disabled state
Apr 27 17:03:25 RT86U kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Apr 27 17:03:25 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered forwarding state
Apr 27 17:03:25 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered forwarding state
Apr 27 17:03:31 RT86U kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Apr 27 17:03:31 RT86U kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered disabled state

No issues on RT-AC86U. Upgraded from 384.12 all the way to 384.17 with no need to reset. The upgrade guides mentioned above remind me of "Matchstick Man" movie, the guy with serious OCD issues. :D

- DHCP reservations and Port Forwarding are lost. Re-added them, they didn't work and after a reboot they are lost again.

Your router must be running out of nvram space or JFFS space to store them.

The sys log has relevent information The speed monitor does not.

The speed monitor allows to quickly tell if something on your LAN is generating a lot of traffic or if you connection is being relatively quiet.

Howdy. I know I'm probably at fault with this, but I had weird issues with a dirty flash.

I have an RT-AC87U and flashed 384.13_8 over 384.9. Everything seemed fine at first, but then I noticed some of my wireless devices were disconnected. Ethernet was fine. Digging in, wireless devices connected fine but had no internet or network access. What followed next was around 12 hours of attempted fixes, which included downgrading to prior versions, until I just went back to the version I had been on, before going a step further and going down to 384.5. I also upgraded to newer versions including back to the current. I even went with the latest stock firmware. Mixed in was multiple factory resets (both via the GUI and hardware), hardware reboots (again, both via GUI and hardware, including unplugging and giving it a few minutes before powering back on) and they all had the same result. Wireless devices could connect but could not access the internet or network.

I also have a similar problem on my AC88U coming from 384.16 . After the dirty upgrade to 384.17, If I'm near the router everything seems to run fine and strong , now when I tried going away from the router my signal looks fine but there's no data coming in anymore (no internet connection) which is not normal on the 384.16. And I also noticed a slowdown on the upload speed on the 5ghz.

I went back to 384.16 and everything is back to normal.

I'll try the 384.17 again later and setup from scratch and hopefully everything runs well. :)

Last edited:
Auto Logout not working reliably for me on latest few RT-AC86U releases, both Asuswrt and Merlin. I can login and close the browser, then call the router IP again in 1h time and jump right in GUI. My Auto Logout time is set to 10min. Happening quite often.

Many browsers don't really close fully anymore. :)

I'll investigate. The browser is Google Chrome. To reset the counter there must be some activity. Not a real issue unless an attempt to log in is made from another device. This is how I noticed the bug trying to login from my phone. Got another user must logout first notification.

I was having issues with my RT-AX58U on 384.17 and went back to RT-AC86U. The .17 firmware makes website loading slooow. Went back to .16 and website loading is responsive. The system log isn't showing slow loading complaints...

I was having issues with my RT-AX58U on 384.17 and went back to RT-AC86U. The .17 firmware makes website loading slooow. Went back to .16 and website loading is responsive. The system log isn't showing slow loading complaints...

Were all WiFi interfaces coming up (i.e. does your faster 5 GHz connection show up?). On my RT-AX58U the 5GHz-interface isn't showing, although the lights are coming up. A manual reboot didn't fix the problem. 2.4 GHz works normal.

Fine then use it as he want's it. Not how you want it. If he wanted to change it he would have.
Would you like some new trainers?

All that backtracking must have really worn down your soles.

I think you’re smart enough to also work out why feature requests occur and then get actioned into updates.

And while you’re at it - bin the attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
Were all WiFi interfaces coming up (i.e. does your faster 5 GHz connection show up?). On my RT-AX58U the 5GHz-interface isn't showing, although the lights are coming up. A manual reboot didn't fix the problem. 2.4 GHz works normal.
Some more fiddling shows that channel 100 with 160Mhz channel width doesn't work (anymore; it worked with 384.16). Switching to lower channels (i.e. 36) or reducing bandwidth to 80 MHz fixes the issue. This may have to do with DFS ((weather-)radar activity but it worked just before the upgrade. Strange.
Will check again the next few days, but for now 80MHz channel width is sufficient (as this is my second AP).

Updated a few RT-AC66U_B1's, RT-AC68U's, RT-AC3100's, RT-AC86U's, and RT-AX88U's so far to 384.17_0 release final.

Using the following method.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r..._8-are-now-available.63636/page-5#post-576336

Happy to report everyone is a happy camper! And, social distancing was followed to the extreme (all were done via telephone and OpenVPN connections in a 100-mile radius!).

I let everyone reboot their own routers (twice, as indicated in the link above) after I did the updates for amtm + scripts (two USB drives were found to be defective on this round of updates, I knew right away because Diversion wasn't running), and of course the firmware update too for each router.

The handful of AiMesh systems I support now were all straightforward too (all 2x RT-AC86U's). And all RT-AC86U's rebooted with no issues either.

I am a tired but happy camper too. :)

Thank you RMerlin on behalf of all the router owners and me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!