What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18 and 384.13_10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I haven't changed the region however (set to Australia) and the options were there prior; just an odd occurrence

I confirm those channels should be present in Australia.
The AC88U is a bit old and I don't remember now if mine was set to region Australia when I got it, I'm guessing it was.
The more recent models appear to set the region to Asia which is almost the same as far as channel availability goes.

Perhaps it's time for a factory default reset and reconfigure ...

The problem is that the prices for genuine Australian stock is very inflated, so more than a few people are buying routers off eBay, or grey importers for the steep discounts.

People don't realise they are buying a foreign model when they are doing this.

An unfortunate product of exclusive distribution rights.

I can't reproduce this on a 86U. Maybe a vpn connection is still active so the transfer is routed through the wan port?
No vpn connections, nothing special on my 68U. Just one nas on lan port 1 and internet with 80/15 Mbps (Automatic IP mode) on the wan port (eth0, secondary ip to talk to the modem on eth0:0). Rebootet the router and tried it again, same 'problem'. Downloading a file from nas to my notebook connected to 2.4G wifi, transfer is counted as wan traffic, see screenshot (same for uploads to nas):
speedometer.PNG

Last edited:
Just pointing out something - we sometime chase down event log noise even when our devices are working properly.

By Disabling a (power savings) feature in the wireless section on the router, it will negatively affect battery life of every device that uses Wi-Fi.

When my iPhones start causing excessive wlceventd entries, it's usually after a firmware upgrade and/or some wifi setting change. My solution to quiet it down is to forget the network and re-connect.

Sometimes the solution is worse than the problem, but YMMV.
Indeed my MMV, so may the type of usage of my internet connection and the dependancy of certain applications.
E.g. Facetime is key for the family, and unfortunately that is (among other applications, blocked in the desert where I live). A VPN enables the use of facetime etc., allowing us to maintain contact with overseas family and friends, stream from geoblocked sources etc. etc.

On my AC5300's I have dedicated one 5GHz for iPhones/iPads only and switched the power savings feature off. It solved all connection problems we encountered with Facetime (a small sacrifice is some extra battery consumption) and we can seamlessly and without further problems communicate overseas in the few hours that timezones overlap and "missed calls" are no longer present (a thing we encountered a lot with powersaving enabled).

Other devices connect to the other 5GHz and Domotica/iOT is connected to 2.4GHz with power savings enabled.

So what you consider a solution worse than the problem (I totally understand what you mean), in my case does not apply.

fyi: After a firmware upgrade a Reset Network settings on Apple (Wifi) devices is a standard procedure.

I confirm those channels should be present in Australia.
The AC88U is a bit old and I don't remember now if mine was set to region Australia when I got it, I'm guessing it was.
The more recent models appear to set the region to Asia which is almost the same as far as channel availability goes.

Perhaps it's time for a factory default reset and reconfigure ...

You could be right there; I'm not really keen on doing the factory reset just now as I've got too much going on but I've managed to get it going pretty well at the moment through channel 153 so I guess I'll just leave it for now and then factory reset for the next build.

Thanks for the reply though, good to know I wasn't going crazy with the channels!

@RMerlin I'm using Dual WAN failover mode ( with WAN and USB Dongle) and I use wan-event scripts for both WANs. They work perfectly at all times BUT at first boot both scripts from both WANs execute (event:Connected) at the same time even if my wan1 is up and running. Is this the expected behavior? I'm noticing this from last few firmware versions.

One potential issue I have noticed is regarding OpenVPN client policy. It happened to me 2 days ago, when out of nowhere all my VPN clients lost the internet connection. I have "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" set to "No".
Checking the log what happened I noticed that I was getting VPN connection TLS errors and my vpn connection was down. Having "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" set to No I would imagined that my VPN clients should not loose the connection. I have never had any VPN connections issues so maybe it is not related to this version and obviously something like this would be hard to test.

Have been running 384.18 and everything important is good on my AC86 after three days as I would expect.

The spinning wheel on VPN Server 1 is gone.

The only strangeness is that devices connected on Guest network 3 still don't appear on the Network Map after a minute or two of being connected. They show initially then disappear. The devices do show correctly in the wireless log and function correctly. This was not an issue with 384.17.

When I test the same devices when connecting to the same SSID, if it is on Guest network 1 or 2 appear correctly on the network map. I do not have the same SSIDs running on more than one guest network at any time.

@RMerlin I'm using Dual WAN failover mode ( with WAN and USB Dongle) and I use wan-event scripts for both WANs. They work perfectly at all times BUT at first boot both scripts from both WANs execute (event:Connected) at the same time even if my wan1 is up and running. Is this the expected behavior? I'm noticing this from last few firmware versions.

Make sure you check which unit (0 or 1) got called.

There are multiple WAN events during boot.

Previously was saying stable 384.17 but I decided to give it a-go to 384.18 ,,,"dirty flash" seems to be stable after 30hrs,,,knock on woods it keeps working the same... (Both AC86U & AC68U!)

Thank you!

Make sure you check which unit (0 or 1) got called.

There are multiple WAN events during boot.

This is my wan-event script, apparently at boot time it executes on both WANs (0 and 1) without looking if Wan0 is down or not. I dont get any issues and the scripts execute as expected and on proper events after the first boot.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Determine FL-UP
if [ "$1" = "0" ] && [ "$2" = "connected" ]; then
/jffs/scripts/personal/Fiberlink/FL-Connected
fi

# Determine FL-Down
if [ "$1" = "0" ] && [ "$2" = "disconnected" ]; then
/jffs/scripts/personal/Fiberlink/FL-Disconnected
fi

# Determine Jazz-UP
if [ "$1" = "1" ] && [ "$2" = "connected" ]; then
/jffs/scripts/personal/Jazz/Jazz-Connected
fi

# Determine Jazz-Down
if [ "$1" = "1" ] && [ "$2" = "disconnected" ]; then
/jffs/scripts/personal/Jazz/Jazz-Disconnected
fi

RT-AC66U B1
Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18
Speed test:
DL 600-700 Mbps / UL 930 (HW max.) Mbps

ISP:
DL 1000 Mbps / UL 1000 Mbps

What I doing wrong with DL? I don't use QoS. NAT acceleration is Auto (CTF).

Last edited:
RT-AC66U B1
Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18
Speed test:
DL 600-700 Mbps / UL 930 (HW max.) Mbps

ISP:

What I doing wrong with DL? I don't use QoS. NAT acceleration is Auto (CTF).

When you say:
ISP:
Is this what your plan speed is or what you actually get when you connect your computer directly to the modem or ONT and run a speedtest?

Have you tried different speed test sites? Not all of them are accurate at gigabit speeds. I get the best results using the Ookla CLI test in a Windows command prompt. Another site that seems to work well with gigabit connections is the DLSReports test.

When you say:
ISP:
Is this what your plan speed is or what you actually get when you connect your computer directly to the modem or ONT and run a speedtest?

Have you tried different speed test sites? Not all of them are accurate at gigabit speeds. I get the best results using the Ookla CLI test in a Windows command prompt. Another site that seems to work well with gigabit connections is the DLSReports test.

I tested Ookla CLI now because I am from Central Europe and my ISP Antik Telecom (50 km from me) has server on Ookla. DLSReports show me USA and Netherlands.
Without Asus router directly connected to WAN I have max. DL +-930 Mbps / UL +-930 Mbps.
With RT-AC66U B1 (QoS and STP disabled, NAT Automatic, AiProtection disabled, firewall enabled) I have on Ookla CLI: DL 735 Mbit / UL 918 Mbps.

Last edited:
I tested Ookla CLI now because I am from Central Europe and my ISP Antik Telecom (50 km from me) has server on Ookla. DLSReports show me USA and Netherlands.
Without Asus router directly connected to WAN I have max. DL +-930 Mbps / UL +-930 Mbps.
With RT-AC66U B1 (QoS and STP disabled, NAT Automatic, AiProtection disabled, firewall enabled) I have on Ookla CLI: DL 735 Mbit / UL 918 Mbps.
Its could be the possible limit for your router, RT-AC66U isn't a powerful one; and a router has more job to do when downloading (firewall and other protections when enabled) than when uploading; but i doubt it is your case because...
For those speeds you have to have both NAT Acceleration (HW acceleration) enabled not just CTF! Read here. Do you have Ai protection enabled? It slows down quite a bit, is CPU/memory hungry, and disables FA acceleration! Also port forwarding, parental, QOS (you dont use it) etc.
If not helping, also try with firewall disabled.

Its could be the possible limit for your router, RT-AC66U isn't a powerful one; and a router has more job to do when downloading (firewall and other protections when enabled) than when uploading; but i doubt it is your case because...
For those speeds you have to have both NAT Acceleration (HW acceleration) enabled not just CTF! Read here. Do you have Ai protection enabled? It slows down quite a bit, is CPU/memory hungry, and disables FA acceleration! Also port forwarding, parental, QOS (you dont use it) etc.
If not helping, also try with firewall disabled.

Router show CTF. AiProtection is disabled. Port forwarding, STP, parental. All is factory disabled. Firewall is disabled. I try factory reset with deletion of database. Still CTF only. 2.4/5 Ghz wifi is activated.

RT-AC66U B1 ARMv7 2 cores, 1 GHz (same as RT-AC68U)
Router RAM:
Used: 63 MB, Free: 193 MB.
CPU is IDLE now (1-3% usage).

Last edited:
Router show CTF. AiProtection is disabled. Port forwarding, STP, parental. All is factory disabled. Firewall is disabled. I try factory reset with deletion of database. Still CTF only. 2.4/5 Ghz wifi is activated.

RT-AC66U B1 ARMv7 2 cores, 1 GHz (same as RT-AC68U C1)
Router RAM:
Used: 63 MB, Free: 193 MB.
IP traffic monitoring, Firewall url and keyword filter, IPv6 tunnel, do disable it too, check those too..?
And do your model even have both acceleration options?

I do mean checking it while testing (DL/UL) if it is 100% or near, that would also be your answer - router limit..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!