What's new

AdGuardHome [RELEASE] Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It is not that I wouldn't support it if I could, the problem is that I don't know when I am going to add a setting for the intended audience (the router mode users) that would other wise break or mangle the configuration of having it on an access point.
It would be nice if the Router or AP option could be added to the script in the future:)

Might be troublesome. Just a suggestion.

Yea that is a kink with using amtm to update. I need to work it out with @thelonelycoder . It would be nice if amtm fetched a new installer when it detects an update for it.

Currently the only way to do that is to use the installer link on the first page. At some point here soon I will put a update function that is specific to the installer.

I actually used the u - check for script updates option in amtm first and amtm also reported a new version was detected before entering the AdGuardHome installer. Recall also in the installer, it also indicated that there is a new version to be installed.

Have been doing the updates through amtm using this method all this while and seems to be ok

Just to share that is hasn't happened for a few days now. It seems to have done this while I was configuring it and was getting some errors with unbound not configured properly. I have a theory that it was related to a number of devices hammering on DNS.

But being a very important service, it would be great if there was some restart protection just in case.

Thanks.
i did give this project a spin, but my router was clearly showing the strain. i broke out an old Pi2 I had sitting around, threw Docker on it and the Adguard Home container and no blips since. I suspect its fine on beefier routers than my AC86U (which admittedly has had its fair share of development torture) but I needed something stable, especially for a core service like DNS. (this does mean I no longer use Diversion/uiDivStats on my primary router, but I'm not abandoning the uiDivStats project!)

Just a comment on the Github commits, its near impossible to follow the changes as every commit is "Update installer" with no explanatory text :(
Here is an easy way to see the commits

Here's the difference since v1.0.0

i did give this project a spin, but my router was clearly showing the strain. i broke out an old Pi2 I had sitting around, threw Docker on it and the Adguard Home container and no blips since. I suspect its fine on beefier routers than my AC86U (which admittedly has had its fair share of development torture) but I needed something stable, especially for a core service like DNS. (this does mean I no longer use Diversion/uiDivStats on my primary router, but I'm not abandoning the uiDivStats project!)
Yea I ran it on an RTac68u just to see how it would handle. It ran fine with all the jack collectibles I had. Minus uidivstats and diversion.

Noticed two small issues:

1. I had an original S61 init.d file. The script seems to create a the new S99 version (with cru for restart) but then overwrites S61 (old content) during upgrade. Didn't validate S99 new was created, but had to install twice to get the correct S99 file.

2. during second install was the first time it asked for timezone... Then i saw two "bad number" errors.

1643382621653.png

Note, I updatd via amtm... so perhaps my first install was running the old script.. but it did create an S99 init.d, but wihtout the cru commands to create cron jobs.

1. I had an original S61 init.d file. The script seems to create a the new S99 version (with cru for restart) but then overwrites S61 (old content) during upgrade. Didn't validate S99 new was created, but had to install twice to get the correct S99 file.

2. during second install was the first time it asked for timezone... Then i saw two "bad number" errors.

View attachment 38991

Note, I updatd via amtm... so perhaps my first install was running the old script.. but it did create an S99 init.d, but wihtout the cru commands to create cron jobs.
Yes the issue is that you need to use the download link on the first post because I have not incorporated an auto fetch for a new version yet, but the proper installer deletes the S61

View attachment 38991

The proper installer creates every thing you need.

I'm been messing around with Adguard, it seems pretty good, I've had diversion for many years and wanted to switch to adguard. Anyways, I was wondering:
- What is the difference beween the Release version and the Edge version?
- Is there a way to have an "auto-refresh" on the query log section?
Both the edge and beta get updated nightly with no real version check. If you are on release branch the installer will inform you of new versions, otherwise edge and beta can be updated any time. But from my understanding, each build has its own dedicated releases. The only build the installer detects changes for is the release build though. Keep that in mind when amtm tells you there is a new version when you are on a beta or edge build.

Release is the stable build.
Beta is the about to be stable build.
Edge is like using the Master Branch on github because it gets the nightly build updates straight from master.

Last edited:

View attachment 38991

Providing a hotfix, please use the download link below:

Code:
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer/master/installer && sh installer ; rm installer

And run option 1

Change-log:

This resolves all future amtm updates using installer selected from amtm menu, or using the above link.

Last edited:
use the column package from entware :)
Now it is at 603. At first, I wasn't parsing the full database. I have never messed with column before, I will have to take a look at some example use cases.

Release v1.1.2

Changelog:
  • Fix a persistent stalling when install tries to stop AdGuardHome
  • Add an ability to freshly auto-launch install process after updating installer
  • Extend to full ENTWARE TZ-database

:(

Part of the problems could be dnsmasq in 386.4, I've had no end of problems with DNS and DHCP from it, which sadly persisted across a factory reset. I spotted its being downgraded in the next Merlin, so perhaps I'll be back!
In Relation with Diversion with your 86U? Mine throws no errors.

Not Diversion related no, purely dnsmasq.
It is related purely to dnsmasq and dnssec on dnsmasq from my understanding. Users that disabled this option lessen or had no more issues. Did you try that? My dnssec is disabled until the next release. I am hoping the next version of dnsmasq is out of beta before then because they already have a fix for the issue.

Thank you for the great work on this, @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow! I got this installed last night on my AC86U, upgraded to the latest version this morning, wanted to ask a few questions, and pass along a few observations of before/after?

First off... I previously had my router setup to utilize Quad9's DoT service... and that seemed to be working quite well. After getting AGH installed, I noticed it made a few changes to my setup, and wanted to make sure that this is by design, and is configured this way so that AGH works properly?

First off, it seems it changed my DNS Privacy Protocol to "None"... Before it had "DoT" selected. But now there's a new message underneath stating that the DNSFilter is now enabled.
Screenshot 2022-01-29 10.10.38.png

So, under LAN->DNS Filter, it switched the DNSFilter to "ON", as it was previously off... and the only selection present is "Router"
Screenshot 2022-01-29 10.09.53.png

Not being familiar with how these settings behave in conjunction with AGH, is this all correct to allow AGH to continue using DoT? This is what I currently have in my upstream settings, utilizing the "Parallel Requests" option:

Code:
[/router.asus.com/]192.168.1.1:553
[/www.asusnetwork.net/]192.168.1.1:553
[/www.asusrouter.com/]192.168.1.1:553
[/use-application-dns.net/]192.168.1.1:553
[/dns.resolver.arpa/]192.168.1.1:553
[/lan/]192.168.1.1:553
[//]192.168.1.1:553
tls://dns-family.adguard.com
tls://dns.quad9.net
tls://security.cloudflare-dns.com
https://doh.opendns.com/dns-query

The thing that worries me is that the [//]192.168.1.1:553 would seem to be able to bypass the requirement to use TLS and hit the plain DNS servers setup under the WAN DNS section? Isn't that a catch-all?

When looking at the log, all my entries say "Type A, Plain DNS"... which concerns me as well. Would it still say "Plain DNS" if TLS is working, or would it say "TLS DNS"? Just not sure what this means.

Screenshot 2022-01-29 11.05.58.png

Also, is there any way to test or validate that outgoing DNS requests from AGH are going over TLS?

From a performance aspect, I noticed some strange entries under %VSZ... is 200.7% of virtual memory an expected figure?

Screenshot 2022-01-29 09.14.07.png

From a load aspect, it runs pretty lean... but did notice a loss of available RAM... probably between 50-75MB. I'll keep my eye on this to see if it settles more over time.

Screenshot 2022-01-29 09.12.01.png

Appreciate your hard work, your lightning-fast support, fixes and updates for everyone using your AGH implementation! Thanks in advance for your feedback on this above! ;)

Last edited: